Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 11:52 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,682,785 times

Advertisements

Price tags are racist. No more price tags.

Stupid people will pay more at check out and never know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 11:55 AM

27,686 posts, read 16,171,854 times
How many blacks shopped at old navy that day? Wonder if he’s got a lawyer yet?

Old 02-01-2018, 12:06 PM

487 posts, read 1,817,503 times
Here's a link to the video, I was mistaken, it was the blue jacket but the inside is black and they weren't scanning a tag, they were looking at the label on the inside of the jacket. I'm assuming Old Navy may have serial numbers or something to identify clothing The man has all right to be upset.

https://www.theroot.com/iowa-man-say...mpl-1822622151

Old 02-01-2018, 12:08 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,250,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
How can you scan a jacket, if it does not have the tag?

when I worked at ON several years ago, the inside tag also contained the UPC and we could key it in manually if needed.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,403,254 times
You can't scan a label. They don't have bar codes on them at Old Navy (and everywhere I've seen). You can only scan a tag.

Walking into a store wearing visible merchandise that is still being sold is dumb and low class, imo. It only invites unnecessary trouble and it makes one look like a store clothing model.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:46 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
You can't scan a label. They don't have bar codes on them at Old Navy (and everywhere I've seen). You can only scan a tag.

Walking into a store wearing visible merchandise that is still being sold is dumb and low class, imo. It only invites unnecessary trouble and it makes one look like a store clothing model.
I can't really make out what is going on BUT it appears to me that whatever they are scanning is on the inside of the jacket. Not a place that they would see it while being worn.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:59 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,598,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Review thread for critical thinking hints. Also, I saw the video. Tag was hanging from neckline. Hint- it was scanned
You do not need to get snotty with me, my critical thinking skills are just fine.

You did not post a link to the video, only to the story, with a photo. If you wanted people to see what you saw, maybe you should have posted a link to it, too.

Also, FWIW, I have worked in retail, and black customers DO sometimes get treated differently in many stores. I have seen it. It doesn't happen all the time, but how many times would it take for a person to start thinking that, yeah, maybe this is racially motivated?

Old 02-01-2018, 01:10 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,641,036 times
They never would have known it had the price tag on it if they hadn't scanned it in the first place.

Haven't we all gone into stores wearing coats and other clothing we previously purchased? Nobody has ever questioned me.

I'm with him, not the store.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:12 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,641,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post

Odd choice of phrases. Exactly what makes it *low class*?

Old 02-01-2018, 01:21 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,243,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
Here's a link to the video, I was mistaken, it was the blue jacket but the inside is black and they weren't scanning a tag, they were looking at the label on the inside of the jacket. I'm assuming Old Navy may have serial numbers or something to identify clothing The man has all right to be upset.

https://www.theroot.com/iowa-man-say...mpl-1822622151
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
when I worked at ON several years ago, the inside tag also contained the UPC and we could key it in manually if needed.

There's another video in here.

Jordan Creek Town Center Clothing Store Accused of Racially Profiling Customer | whotv.com

Starting at about 00:36, you can see that one person is peering at the label, reading off numbers to someone else to hand key. No tag is being scanned.

In other words, the claim that the clothing had a price tag on it is completely bogus. But gee, I wonder why it is that this particular customer was assumed to be stealing the clothing he walked in wearing.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies