Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 07:19 AM

30,286 posts, read 11,932,755 times

Advertisements

I am not a Trumpie but its pretty obvious how he deals with things like this. The left seems confused by all of it.

Its not that Trump wants a shutdown but he is using leverage to force the dems hand in doing the immigration plan his way.

I have used this tact in business negotiations for years. If the other side understands you are willing to walk away and they are not. You will usually come out on top.

Lets see how it all plays out. Should be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 07:24 AM

11,242 posts, read 8,345,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
What Trump actually said.
“Frankly, I’ll go a step further, if we don’t change the legislation, if we don’t get rid of these loopholes where killers are allowed to come into our country … if we don’t change it let’s have a shutdown, we’ll do a shutdown,” Trump said. “It’s worth it for our country.”

“I’d love to see a shutdown if we don’t get this stuff taken care of,
Now
  • Who got the blame for the last shutdown - Democrats.
  • Who will get the blame if it happens again? Hint: It won't be Trump.

Trump has skillfully put Democrats on the side of the illegal alien killers. No downside for him at all no matter how the NYTimes, WaPo, CNN, etc try to spin it.
Right, Trump would love to see a shutdown if it scores political points. He's skillfully put democrats on the side of illegal aliens (which is a misrepresntation of truth), instead of SKILLFULLY PUTTING AMERICA FIRST, AND STANDING BY HIS WORD SO WE CAN AVOID A SHUTDOWN.

Dems and R's came together, have a plan. He doesn't like it, so HE is going to shut down. If a solution makes it to his desk, it is because congressmen and women from both parties came together to compromise. The only thing that could stop it now is him. If it gets there, it is because Schumer, and Ryan, and anyone else came together and DID NOT cause a shutdown. The buck would stop with Trump.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:09 AM

23,648 posts, read 17,329,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Given the new information about the "missing" FBI texts between the two lovers Strzok and Page, the government should be less worried about making Trump look bad (because they are failing at it) and more concerned with their own politicized agencies and cleaning those up.

Trump's not worried about a shutdown because he wasn't the guilty one. IRS, FBI and DOJ--they have guilty workers, and those people are panicking and desperate now. Trying to spin this back to Trump is the only strategy they seem to have. It's not working.
Appreciate the feedback and dose of reality for our democratic friends about to be in need of legal counsel!

Surely Obama isn't looking to eric holder to represent him. the celebrated originator of falsified documents and judge shopping. Eric the 'I know nothing' 'fast and furious' Holder is too well paid by CA taxpayers to get involved. Maybe O will look to Loretta 'tarmac' Lynch to represent him? there is always Hillary, if she still holds a valid law license. Hey, Al Sharpton isn't doing anything.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:17 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,322,449 times
I love how whenever a shutdown is looming, people don’t even wait for it. They preemptively try to place the blame on the other side.

Does anyone take it seriously? I see it as nothing more than political theater.

But I agree with Trump here. If the democrats only want amnesty for DACA, without doing anything to try to fix the problem that brought them here in the first place, then shut the government down.

Clearly the republicans see the DACA people as a bargaining chip. The democrats are trying to shame them into not seeing them that way. It isn’t working. The republicans don’t care. So the democrats have to decide if they really want to help these people. I have my doubts that they do.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:20 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,962,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Appreciate the feedback and dose of reality for our democratic friends about to be in need of legal counsel!

Surely Obama isn't looking to eric holder to represent him. the celebrated originator of falsified documents and judge shopping. Eric the 'I know nothing' 'fast and furious' Holder is too well paid by CA taxpayers to get involved. Maybe O will look to Loretta 'tarmac' Lynch to represent him? there is always Hillary, if she still holds a valid law license. Hey, Al Sharpton isn't doing anything.
For just one solitary, striking and significant reason: the long and storied history of inequity in the Criminal Justice System with respect to persons of color, regardless of their attainment, wealth or prior criminal history... only because of that, I cannot dismiss your opinion out of hand. But, there is this. Regardless of the possible pending proceedings against former President Obama. It remains a fact that the current President is far from safe. Michael Flynn... strike one. George Papadopalos... striike TWO.... ... here comes the windup, and the pitch: Carter Page! Strike Three and Bob Meuller takes Trump to the interro...erm ... interview room. No lawyers. Mano y mano.

Donny will be a tough interview subject. But Mueller has had plenty of practice. At this point its just for show. I am not looking forward to the endgame. The country is already critically split. This won't help. Might bring Right and Left to blows. It could get real ugly.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:49 PM

37,962 posts, read 17,940,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Yet.

" “A shutdown falls on the President’s lack of leadership. He can’t even control his party and get people together in a room. A shutdown means the President is weak”

Well, very simply, you have to get everybody in a room. You have to be a leader. The president has to lead. He’s got to get [the Speaker of the House] and everybody else in a room, and they have to make a deal. You have to be nice, and be angry, and be wild, and cajole, and do all sorts of things. But you have to get a deal. Unfortunately, [the president] has never been a dealmaker. That wasn’t his expertise before he went into politics. And it’s obviously not his expertise now. But you have to get the people in the room, and you have to get a deal that’s good for everybody and good for the country.”

https://www.snopes.com/trump-criticize-obama-shutdown/

This is what make me mad he run his mouth yet we might be headed towards ANOTHER shutdown.

Click on the video and one can hear him say it. Do not this apply to Trump as well? Or was this because of his hate for Obama??
And? So? How about you respond to my comments next time. lol
Again the dems and the repubs don't agree. Hence the shutdown comments. Nothing to do with trump. He doesn't control congress. He controls things like troop movements.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
What about that bipartisan bill Trump rejected?

Everyone's fault but the ass hole in the white house rejecting bipartisan deals because he doesn't get his way.
Since when does rejecting a bi partisan bill matter? It was passed wasn't it? Without even knowing which bill you are talking about I'm saying it passed. All because I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because YOU said it was bi partisan. Do you know what that means?
60 percent of congress agrees. That's it. To me 60 percent falls short of bi partisan but not in congress. And 60 percent is veto proof.

So explain to me why it matters that trump is against a bill that congress will no doubt pass since it is bi partisan?

Old 02-07-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
lol, sure.
Can't argue with that. But that's just because you didn't say anything. lol

Old 02-07-2018, 04:03 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,683,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's not about trump. All he said was if the dems are going to shut it down, go ahead. Their actions of shutting it down have nothing to do with what he said.
It's getting absurd how people take things out of context with trump. I've never seen anything like it on a Federal political level.
I didn't vote for him either.
So take him figuratively not literally then?

Old 02-07-2018, 04:15 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,114,218 times
But now if there is a shut down it's the Democrats depriving the military.....That's what SHE said (Sanders)........Once again Trump and his staff two different stories.....do they even talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies