Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 10:26 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I didn't used to tip at curbside pickup, but I have started doing it. I don't think these servers are just "runners." While they don't cook the food, they are often responsible for getting it into the take out containers, ensuring the order is complete, adding the extras (bread, condiments, utensils) and packaging it in such a way so that your salad isn't sitting beneath your hot dish of pasta.

While I don't tip them 20% as they aren't carrying plates, refilling drinks, and checking on me every so often, I do give something.

I'm sure putting together a huge carryout order was a lot of work.
I do too. If the server waits on me, then it's 20%. If I go to the counter, set my own table, pour my own water, and bus my own dishes, it's 5-10%. Pick-up the same, 5-10%.

Of course the best solution would be an adequate wage in the first place, but that horse fled the barn long ago.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:31 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Long ago I used to wait tables, the church crowd was always the worst. Sometimes, they would leave you tracts that had a little segment at the top that looks like a 5$ bill, then you pull it out from under the check and its only the top part of it the rest is "sharing the good news".

Yup! I used to wait and my wife does now and church people are the worst when it comes to tipping.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:36 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Instead of violating company policy, she should have suggested that they place a mandatory service charge on large take out orders. Instead, she embarrassed them and a customer.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:38 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Clearly she violated company policy on not posting online about customers, so nothing she can do about that.

And I realize that tipping isn't always necessary for take out orders, but still, if a server (non salaried) is preparing a huge meal like that, they should get tipped. I would have.

Outback fires server for posting on Christ Fellowship $0 tip | Miami Herald

That big of reserved party would have gratuity added already to the bill. Standard and mandatory for major restaurants.
Her boss didn't give her, her cut and probably pocketed it himself.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:40 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What part of TAKE OUT ORDER is so hard to grasp? You pay a server to come to your table, take your order, keep your drinks filled, bring your food, etc. The ones who did the work here are the cooks and chefs, not the whiny "server". And they are typically not tipped for doing most of the work at any restaurant.
You really think that packing up that many meals is not work? Come on, man...smh.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:44 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Instead of violating company policy, she should have suggested that they place a mandatory service charge on large take out orders. Instead, she embarrassed them and a customer.

Outback needs to be embarrassed. I recently ate there with family members {small reunion type thing} Had not seen some of them for years. The waitress was excellent. however it was almost an hour before we got our food. Waitress told us the order had gotten messed up.OK fine... but she said in just a few moments and it was another 20. The last straw was my steak was cold. When I complained she said nothing she could do. I said I want a manager {very loudly by this time}. Manager was less than cordial, and I had to ASK for a discount on our meal which she reluctantly said ok. I told her the real issue was to investigate why our order was messed up. When we had finished and the waitress gave us the check,she whispered in my ear that the cook had messed up and not her........but her supervisor had told her not to help us or offer anything. I gave the waitress a large tip without the super watching.........she was in tears.... needless to say outback will never see me again. They need to be deported.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:49 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
She was probably was mad she spent time preparing the food and got no tip, which is a dent in her income. She probably did not like working there anyway, so did not care if got fired. Given the liason, she will get another server job easily.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:34 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
She violated company policy and was terminated. Where is the controversy?

It's good to see corporate policies like this exposed. Too often these policies stay hidden from the public.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:38 PM

639 posts, read 376,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Clearly she violated company policy on not posting online about customers, so nothing she can do about that.

And I realize that tipping isn't always necessary for take out orders, but still, if a server (non salaried) is preparing a huge meal like that, they should get tipped. I would have.

Outback fires server for posting on Christ Fellowship $0 tip | Miami Herald
Unfortunately many times your traditional church goers couldn't care less about putting into practice anything Jesus actually talked about.

Things like the more you give the more you receive, etc..

So she lost a waitress job... big deal.. plenty of others.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:40 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Long ago I used to wait tables, the church crowd was always the worst. Sometimes, they would leave you tracts that had a little segment at the top that looks like a 5$ bill, then you pull it out from under the check and its only the top part of it the rest is "sharing the good news".
I have observed similar situation and wait staff reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies