Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 11:39 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

Advertisements

Yes, his lack of diplomacy has alienated many. The Art of Deal? Haven't seen much of that.

How dare they? Are you kidding me? How dare them not meet with someone who treats them rudely? You seem to think they do not have the "right" against our mightiness? /lol
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 11:42 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-a...26-p4z1p2.html

How dare they.

Our country is the life-blood of the Mexican economy, without us they'd be nothing.

Now this cartel-puppet in MC thinks he can gain moral victories by insulting our president? damn him I say.

Mexico needs to be disciplined.

Funny how even supposed bigshots pick what they plant, isn't it?

Old 02-25-2018, 11:42 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
If you mean "blindly supporting him is wrong, " then I say the same thing about Obama, too. He didn't do much of anything for the American people, really, and while Trump is objectively worse, Obama was no saint. Heck, I can't recall the last time I voted FOR a president vs. AGAINST the other candidate.

So, yes - when it comes to Obama or ANYONE from ANY party, you should NOT be forced to bow and scrape before them just because they happen to be president / senator / etc. That's the crap that goes in in places like North Korea, where not clapping loudly enough on cue means you might be put to death.

Now, I'm not saying you spit in their face, curse them off in public, or whatever - be civil, of course! - but you are not obligated to kiss the feet of anyone in power in America, much less forced to have them over for dinner or whatever. Respect must be earned; that is what set us apart from the monarchies of old, where whatever the King did was perfect and everyone had to say only nice things about him.

Now, if Obama wanted to stop by my place, I'd be OK with that - same with Bush Jr. But I would not be licking his boots and, as I said, I don't worship him or any person power because of their power. And if Trump wanted to stop by my place even BEFORE he ran for office, I'd have turned him down. Trump has always been a slimebag on a much lower level than Obama, Bush, and really any of the rest I've known while in power.

That's the whole point here: we shouldn't be worshiping people in power as Americans, we should not be confusing the people in power with "what America is," and respect must be earned. Nothing Trump has done - even before he ran for office - is worthy of respect, IMHO.
To be fair, “blindly support” was your words, not his. I was just talking about HIS general statement.

With your own personal opinions aside, I wouldn’t argue with this post.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:44 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Heck, I didn't like Bush but if given the opportunity to meet him, I would have. Trump on the other hand, not a chance.
Yeah, I’ve thought W. a decent man for awhile now. He just seemed to be over his head as a politician.

Trump is an all around horrible human being.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:47 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Sure--Mexico has the courage to stand up to the bully-in-chief rather than drench him in military parades, applause, flattery and fake praise.

Bomb them.
Here here!

Mexico is a nation of corruption which has driven 40 million Mexicans north....I just hope they learned from the experience and now reject corruption but I don't think so.

Really Mexico is country of people that run on emotions rather than logic, not surprising that they are doing things to their own detriment....it's what they do.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:48 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
To be fair, “blindly support” was your words, not his. I was just talking about HIS general statement.

With your own personal opinions aside, I wouldn’t argue with this post.
And that's the key - you can support a person or not, but don't worship somebody because of their power. And that applies regardless of what group or party they represent. That is NOT what American is about; we fought at least one war against that crap (the Revolutionary War), and arguably more if you consider WW2 and maybe WW1 in the same line.

I get it that not everybody may despise Trump as I do, nor understand why he's so much worse of a person on a fundamental level than Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush Sr. and so on. But to demand that we "punish" people for not bowing and scraping before him as the OP did? That is North Korea level talk, which is disgusting to hear from an American, particularly when we're talking about the leaders of a different sovereign nation.

Ugh... personality cults are not American, nor is expecting worship of one's leaders, no matter the party.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:49 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Then you insult our country. You'd have been honored if Obama showed up to your house. If Trump actually took the time to come you should be humbled by the representative of your country paying you special respect.

Enough of this partisan political play, we should all love and support our country.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."

That was Theodore Roosevelt, and compared to what you and yours saddled us with, he was 10 times the statesman and 100 times the man. Go be morally treasonable somewhere else.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:50 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Here here!

Mexico is a nation of corruption which has driven 40 million Mexicans north....I just hope they learned from the experience and now reject corruption but I don't think so.

Really Mexico is country of people that run on emotions rather than logic, not surprising that they are doing things to their own detriment....it's what they do.
With all due respect, "rejecting corruption" only works if you have non-corrupt choices you can get into power and keep there. We, quite frankly, aren't doing that great a job of it here in this nation, so I'm not sure we're in a position to tell the Mexicans to just "magic up some non-corrupt leaders" and fix all their problems.

As for the shot about "Mexicans running on emotions, not logic," what the heck do you think got Trump elected? Did you know Americans spend more money on lotto tickets per year than most other forms of entertainment combined? Do you really think we're in a morally superior position in that area? Lol... give me a break.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...c-sports-and-b

Ugh... reminds me of those posts where people were complaining that the Syria refugees were fleeing from ISIS and absolute war vs. "taking back their nation." As if some gumption and a handgun you found lying around is enough to take out trained paramilitary organizations like ISIS?! People have been watching too many movies where one guy with a gun brings down an army and installs the Last Honest Man in office as president.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:58 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
With all due respect, "rejecting corruption" only works if you have non-corrupt choices you can get into power and keep there. We, quite frankly, aren't doing that great a job of it here in this nation, so I'm not sure we're in a position to tell the Mexicans to just "magic up some non-corrupt leaders" and fix all their problems.
One might even point out that the reason drug cartels are running things in Mexico is that true-blue US citizens are providing said cartels with a very robust cash flow. American drug buyers fund the corrupt Mexican politicians, and ain't that a kick in the head?

Old 02-25-2018, 12:00 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Here here!

The US is a country of corruption that happens to have a healthy economy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies