Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 12:14 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
No,
The details of the recent tax bill were released four hours before the Senate vote. If you hear that FLSA repeal is being discussed then it is already too late.

Be proactive. Hold your Republican representative's feet to the fire on this one. Let them know what is not acceptable. If corporate America is thinking about it, the pressure is there.
That is a disingenuous argument. We knew well ahead of time the outline of the bills being discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 12:29 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,561 times
Quote:
See post 7.
An interesting bit of history, but the article is also one opinion. Predictions on the how SCOTUS will rule on any one case are often incorrect.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:30 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Aren't those the exact words we see from the "conservatives" here every time the subject of someone promoting a $15 minimum wage comes up...?
By nature, it's necessary to have labor laws and regulations. There are always going to be fewer businesses than people who need to pay the bills to not end up homeless.

So, right out of the box, the employer will always have the upper hand.

With zero labor laws, we'd resemble the Industrial Revolution or modern day third world factories, where people work for a dollar an hour 14 hours a day 6 days a week, starting as children. If they got injured on the job, sick, or pregnant? Tossed out on the street.

People forget that they only have any worker protections and rights at all because of unions and legislation.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:30 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Heh-heh.......... The thought of competing in the workplace causes some people to break out in hives. But, fear not. No one is going to take the overtime requirement away.

It's just more fear mongering done by the "very afraid" crowd who feel that the government's function is to "protect them from evil, forgive them for their transgressions, and make sure that no one transgresses against them...."

Old 02-25-2018, 12:36 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Heh-heh.......... The thought of competing in the workplace causes some people to break out in hives. But, fear not. No one is going to take the overtime requirement away.

It's just more fear mongering done by the "very afraid" crowd who feel that the government's function is to "protect them from evil, forgive them for their transgressions, and make sure that no one transgresses against them...."
If you're not afraid of competing in the workplace, then why not open up the borders and let people from Mexico, India, and China flood in, pending only a thorough criminal and medical background check?

Old 02-25-2018, 12:45 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
The Republican party wants deregulation. The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (FLSA) is a regulation. FLSA guarantees your right to earn time and a half after 40 hours.

If FLSA is repealed, are you prepared to become salaried employees and work overtime for free?
Eh, Republicans want no regulation on guns, air, water, food, medicine, etc. They do, however, want to use the government to monitor the bedrooms and temples for the "wrong" kind of sex and religion. Oh, and they still expect THEIR air to be clean, water to be safe, and so forth... but they just don't like spending money on OTHER people's air, water, food, etc.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:21 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Eh, Republicans want no regulation on guns, air, water, food, medicine, etc. They do, however, want to use the government to monitor the bedrooms and temples for the "wrong" kind of sex and religion. Oh, and they still expect THEIR air to be clean, water to be safe, and so forth... but they just don't like spending money on OTHER people's air, water, food, etc.
Oh, puleeeeze! Conservatism is not monolithic and certainly not synonymous with the Republican Party. I've been libertarian for fifty years, and Libertarian (registered) for about half of those, but I don't blindly identify with everything that group espouses, either.

And as I've pointed out before, I belonged to a labor union for eighteen years, mostly to enforce work rules and keep aggressive supervisors at a distance. I recognize, given the local market, what a union can, and can't do; but not everybody does.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump goes after the public employee unions -- especially "teachers" who indoctrinate rather than teach. But I doubt that Trump, or most Republicans, will go after unions, except for those which hold a government-backed monopoly, like the NEA.

So you and Mr. afd can peddle your snake-oil as much as you like; it doesn't seen to be selling here.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:23 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
An interesting bit of history, but the article is also one opinion. Predictions on the how SCOTUS will rule on any one case are often incorrect.
Before you and I go any further, you need to know this. I was hourly and salaried. I hated being salaried. When you are salaried there is no limit on the hours that your employer can impose on you.

Read the article carefully. The article says that the FAA passed in 1925 may someday be used as a Supreme Court argument in ignoring the NLRA (Wagner Act). This argument is being forwarded by the Trump Administration. The FAA was employer friendly and the NLRA was employee friendly. If arguments in some future Supreme Court case debunk the NLRA, you may lose your right to litigate in an employment matter. According to the article, there are also implications regarding discrimination matters.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:27 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Oh, puleeeeze! Conservatism is not monolithic and certainly not synonymous with the Republican Party. I've been libertarian for fifty years, and Libertarian (registered) for about half of those, but I don't blindly identify with everything that group espouses, either.

And as I've pointed out before, I belonged to a labor union for eighteen years, mostly to enforce work rules and keep aggressive supervisors at a distance. I recognize, given the local market, what a union can, and can't do; but not everybody does.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump goes after the public employee unions -- especially "teachers" who indoctrinate rather than teach. But I doubt that Trump, or most Republicans, will go after unions, except for those which hold a government-backed monopoly, like the NEA.

So yo and Mr. afd can peddle your snake-oil as much as you like; it doesn't seen to be selling here.
The Koch brand of conservatism is well financed and requires it's pound of flesh from the Republican party.
What led you to to the dark side?

Old 02-25-2018, 02:36 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
The Koch brand of conservatism is well financed and requires it's pound of flesh from the Republican party.
What led you to to the dark side?
Growing up on a dairy farm: the likes of you would run away screaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies