Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:07 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
What's with Lefties and polls? The broken-record repetition of them being wrong and they still believe, have to give them credit.
Whats with Right folks not understanding science and data. Polls gave Trump a 1 in 3 chance of winning on election night. Theyre perfectly valid. They are what I based my prediction that Trump would win the Electoral, and lose the popular vote. And I called it.

Science and data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 07:09 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Yeah, heard that in the 70s too. All those dinosaurs were supposed to die off too leaving the country to the liberals. You know what happened? The 70s liberals became today's dinosaurs.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:13 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
How did Trump win?��
It's a valid question. I keep hearing stories about how much more tolerant, progressive, liberal, etc. young people are yet old white men who are members of the GOP and who proudly crow about the good old days still keep getting voted into office. When will the predictions of a liberal landslide (predictions that have been happening for decades, I might add) come to fruition?

Old 03-01-2018, 07:13 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Yeah, heard that in the 70s too. All those dinosaurs were supposed to die off too leaving the country to the liberals. You know what happened? The 70s liberals became today's dinosaurs.
Yup.
In the end, the same cycle repeats.
Hard times make strong people, strong people make easy times, easy times make weak people, weak people make hard times.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:14 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The political parties of the 70's look nothing like todays.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:16 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
Dinosaurs mesmerized by the light show provided by the approaching asteroid.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:16 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
I think Conservatism is growing Among white youth, but the demographic change is too strong too offset that, for example I think I read an article somewhere that the fertility rate of white liberals was roughly 1.4, the birth rate of white conservatives was roughly 1.9 and the birth rates of Mormons a highly conservative group has somewhere around 3 kids per 100,000 althouhhh they make up only 1.6% of the U.S population they make up roughly 2.5% of white Americans. I think when conservative people talk about conservative growth among the youth their talking mostly about the white population which demographically is true although we don’t know if these kids would identify the same politically as their parents though.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.pewre...roups/%3famp=1

Old 03-01-2018, 07:20 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I think Conservatism is growing Among white youth, but the demographic change is too strong too offset that, for example I think I read an article somewhere that the fertility rate of white liberals was roughly 1.4, the birth rate of white conservatives was roughly 1.9 and the birth rates of Mormons a highly conservative group has somewhere around 3 kids per 100,000 althouhhh they make up only 1.6% of the U.S population they make up roughly 2.5% of white Americans. I think when conservative people talk about conservative growth among the youth their talking mostly about the white population which demographically is true although we don’t know if these kids would identify the same politically as their parents though.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.pewre...roups/%3famp=1
And NOT all whites are conservative, I'm 35, white, and will never vote Republican, and I'm not alone

Old 03-01-2018, 07:21 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
True. The general consensus of the studies that I have read is that while individuals may grow more conservative as they grow older, the vast majority of people are shaped by the politics when they reach adulthood and retain that identity for life.

The politics of American generations: How age affects attitudes and voting behavior | Pew Research Center
I grew up a Republican. I'm in my 60s, and voted for Kerry in 2004. Democrat ever since. I was also a Christian for the majority of my life, and now I'm an agnostic.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:23 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Even if this is correct (and I'm not convinced), the problem for Democrats is that young leftists are migrating to leftist meccas like NY and CA, thereby blunting the potential great impact they could have on the electoral process . . . that and they don't really vote. And while many conservatives are "dying off," you have plenty of conservatives who migrate to critically important states like FL, NC, etc. each year when they retire. If Dems are banking on this news to save them, they are in for a big disappointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies