Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 10:47 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times

Advertisements

Big Government in America today is always trying to disarm the law-abiding citizenry, since these people can not only resist government tyranny, but they are far more likely to "save the day" than the police (who almost always arrive too late and sit outside until the gunmen have finished). Nothing worse than a citizen who knows that government exists to take your money, not defend you from criminals.

Unfortunately our government wants the citizenry to constantly feel that they are in danger--when citizens are afraid, they support more government spending to 'control the threat" (which it never does). Despite the fact that school shootings are incredibly rare (we are a nation of 320 million people, after all), the massive media coverage they get ensures that they will continue. Government will use the shootings to further disarm the law abiding citizens that would save lives in such situations, and will totally avoid any action that would minimize future attacks (dealing with the mental health issues, or restricting the media frenzy). What actions our leaders have taken--like making schools "gun free zones"--made the problem worse, because insane attackers know that nobody on the premises can stop them, or hurt them.

Government loves new gun laws because it loves putting citizens in jail for ridiculous reasons (being a drug addict, for instance). That's how we get a system that lets dangerous murderers out after serving tiny portions of their sentences, to make room for the hoardes of new, non-violent prisoners coming in. Here's the core of the problem:

America has a huge incarceration industry, to the point that we have the highest incarceration rate in the world. Privatization of prisons (paying corporations to run them), businesses using prisoners as "slave labor, " and the brilliant strategy of Big Government of doing everything possible to make itself bigger, have combined to create massive incentives to maximizing the flow of new prisoners coming into the system. There is zero incentive (or money) in fixing the problems that create crime. So be assured, whatever politicians end up doing, it will make the problem worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 07:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I believe you already know that I can not explain this to you using the text of the constitution because they did not address the issue of "illegal firearms" when writing the 2nd amendment. However, there are many laws that have since been passed that quite adequately describe what constitutes an "illegal firearm" as well as who would be considered to be illegally in possession of said firearms. For instance, felons are restricted from owning most firearms. Of course, this does not make the actual firearm illegal, the crime in this situation lies with the person who was in possession of said firearm. As far as actual "illegal" firearms go, it really depends on the state you live in since different states have different rules. In some states, owning a gun without a serial number or which has had the serial number removed would make the weapon illegal. In others, fully automatic weapons are considered illegal firearms, but in others you can own them if you have the proper license. Honestly, you really just have to understand the gun laws in your state to know exactly what constitutes an "illegal weapon". And of course none of this was covered in the 2nd amendment of our constitution.
There is no such thing as an illegal gun.
There is a reason none of that was covered in the 2nd Amendment. It is called my individual liberty to choose for myself. Not for government or the collective, to think & make the choice for me.

I got dozens of guns with no serial numbers. Some are so old they never thought about serial numbers and several I made myself.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:18 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Was the gun purchased through legal means from either a licensed dealer or official means of transferring ownership in a private sale with all proper background checks and other local requirements done prior exchanging cash for the weapon.

If not, then the firearm was acquired illegally.

But, you already knew that and are just playing the troll route, as expected.
LOL! There is no such thing as an "illegal gun"
Purchase? What happens if I just make it myself? If I make it my self, there are no serial numbers to transfer, if I want to sell it.
You just think it is illegal. That is a myth, to make the gun bad.
There is a reason it says "arms" not "small arms"

The Puckle Machine Gun, was first made in 1718.... 73 years before the drafting of the 2nd amendment.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:13 AM

1,330 posts, read 699,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There is no such thing as an illegal gun.
There is a reason none of that was covered in the 2nd Amendment. It is called my individual liberty to choose for myself. Not for government or the collective, to think & make the choice for me.

I got dozens of guns with no serial numbers. Some are so old they never thought about serial numbers and several I made myself.
There is such thing as an illegal gun purchase and states are allowed to place reasonable restrictions on sales. The supreme Court has stated this.

Your interpretation is meaningless.

Last edited by illinoisphotographer; 03-05-2018 at 08:28 AM..

Old 03-05-2018, 08:44 AM

29,497 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
LOL! There is no such thing as an "illegal gun"
Purchase? What happens if I just make it myself? If I make it my self, there are no serial numbers to transfer, if I want to sell it.
You just think it is illegal. That is a myth, to make the gun bad.
There is a reason it says "arms" not "small arms"

The Puckle Machine Gun, was first made in 1718.... 73 years before the drafting of the 2nd amendment.
Bull****.
If a 16 year old uses a stolen Glock with the serial numbers filed off in a car jacking , that is an illegal firearm.
When some gangbanger modifies his stolen AK to full auto, that now becomes an illegal firearm.
Just having an unregistered handgun in Michigan is a felony, so that would be an illegal firearm.

Anyone with a felony that has a firearm in their possession is breaking the law, therefore those are illegal firearms.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:05 AM

736 posts, read 353,685 times
Quote:
I know that law enforcement do try to curb the presence of illegal weapons whenever the opportunity to seize them becomes available. Drug raids and other police activities often yield a cache of illegal weapons along with the drugs, money, etc. found during the raid. But the problem is, rather than destroying those weapons, they store them. And I can't tell you how many different stories I've seen about missing guns, drugs, etc. from supposedly secure police lockers in departments across the country. Not to mention the stories about police-issued weapons going missing and being used in crimes. Sometimes it seems like the police aren't even capable of keeping up with their own weapons, let alone getting the illegal weapons off the street. And that's the thing. We have all these people crying to take away our legal firearms, yet they seem to have no issue or at least no solutions to offer as far as the illegal weapons in our country go. Why would we seek to further weaken the civilian population of our country while leaving guns in the hands of those who would do us harm? I just have a hard time wrapping my head around that particular question.
Probably corrupt cops selling drugs or weapons. The other day several cops went to jail after they got busted by the fbi or internal affairs. The cops were on a special squad design to combat drugs, but instead they were targeting drug dealers and confiscate their drugs and money. A portion of the drugs, money, or valuables was then stolen by the police officers. I heard similar stories here in so Cal about cops supposedly who were selling the drugs they confiscated from drug dealers to other drug dealers. There are probably cops who sell confiscated weapons. There are many other cases like a cop in NY that would forget to pick up his check, because he was making a lot more money through illegal activities.

There is a problem with unregistered or untraceable firearms. If a person gets caught with an illegal weapon and the weapon can be trace through ballistics to other crimes, then the person who is in possession of the weapon will likely get charged for all the crimes committed with that weapon.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:09 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
They should be confiscated and the people possessing them should be jailed.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:15 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Was the gun purchased through legal means from either a licensed dealer or official means of transferring ownership in a private sale with all proper background checks and other local requirements done prior exchanging cash for the weapon.

If not, then the firearm was acquired illegally.

But, you already knew that and are just playing the troll route, as expected.
Firearms legally purchased can be illegal by the stroke of a pen. Example, your Granddad living in CA that bought his Colt AR back in 1960 became at minimum a standard criminal if he wasn't on the up and up and noticed that there was legislation that banned it, then it wasn't, then it was... that kind of thing. It has a far broader scope than you think.

There are hundreds of thousands of firearm owners that fall into this category across the US.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:16 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Explain to me what an "illegal firearm" is, using the text of the constitution as reference.
A firearm in the possession of a person forbidden by law to own, possess, or control one. That is all inclusive of firearms not generally available to the public which require special licensing not permitted to the person.
Now, I'm sure that does not suit you because as soon as you cite the Constitution I know you are going to cite, "shall not be infringed." How can you have a "Well Regulated Militia" without some infringement?
"You are in a maze of twisty passages"

Old 03-05-2018, 09:19 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
<>
If all or most of the legally owned firearms in this country were banned and confiscated, what could be done about all the illegally owned weapons in the hands of criminals across our great nation?<>
Well then ALL the weapons in the hands of the citizens would be illegal firearms, eh? How would law enforcement know the difference between the classes of armed felons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies