Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 02:51 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yep. Getting murdered with a gun doesn't even come close to the top ten causes of death.
And you find it surprising you are more likely to die from natural causes than murder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 03:01 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Yep. Getting murdered with a gun doesn't even come close to the top ten causes of death.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/282929.php
So your logic is that we should not ban guns because we have a 1 in 7 chance of dying from a heart attack, but a much lower chance of dying from guns.

Another interesting stat. You have a 1 in 46,191,893 chance of dying from a refugee terrorist.

You have a 1 in 138,334,873 chance of dying from an illegal immigrant terrorist.

Guess the muslim travel ban is really just a front for xenophobia, as there is no logic or real reason for it.

I am thinking that the chance of you dying from gun violence is much much higher than from a refugee, an illegal immigrant terrorist or any muslim terrorist.

Or are you making another point?

Last edited by Enigma777; 03-10-2018 at 03:52 PM..

Old 03-10-2018, 03:04 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
No I don`t and neither do the people who have been involved in massacres whether it be a church, school, concert, mall, etc. It`s terrorism, not death by natural causes. People don`t seem to mind as long as the shooter is a native born white guy.
And yet you still think the solution is more gun laws even when the existing laws aren't being enforced.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:06 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. If the drunk survived, I hope he never sees the light of day again. Your analogy isn't exactly correct though. In some cases, a bartender or a club has been found partly at fault if they kept surviving a drunk guy.

As we have been told over and over, alcohol is regulating. You can't legally buy it until you're 21. If a store sold it to the driver without carding him, they can be found partly liable.

So alcohol is regulated. All we want is more regulations on guns as well as existing regulations enforced.
Still determined to prove you know absolutely nothing about guns, aren't you. Guns are MORE regulated than alcohol. There is no background check to buy it, no waiting period, no ID check for most people, no paperwork. You have absolutely no idea what the existing regulations are and whine and wail about wanting more.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:12 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
1.) Where did I say alcohol was more regulated than guns?
2.) And where did I say we should see that current gun regulations are regulated?

1.) I didn't.
2.) My last sentence that you quoted from me.

I'm not sure why some folks can't understand that better gun control clearly means enforcing regulations currently on the books.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:26 PM

17,809 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
4 of my friends were killed in 1 felled swoop at the hands of a drunk driver the night after highschool graduation coming home from a concert.

They had 0 control over a drunk missing a turn and hitting them at over 80mph...
Physics, booze, and 1 drunk won that night.
I didnt, and dont, hold Ford accountable with the logic of nobody needs an Excursion capable of high speed.
I didn't hold VW accountable for making the GTI (a compact hatchback) incapable of protecting the passengers...
Nor do I hold contempt for Budweiser or hold them accountable.
That drunk on the other hand...

With a gunman, if you yourself are armed you have a chance to defend yourself.

Astonishing the attitude of this country has gone from land of the free home of brave, to land of the feeble, home of the nanny state advocates...
Let me remember how this one goes.

Oh yeah.

"Why should I, a responsible drunk driver, be held accountable for what this guy did. I haven't killed or run over anybody."

Old 03-10-2018, 03:28 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,588 times
Quote:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/282929.php

I wonder why that is.

Maybe because we have had gun control laws. Nah that couldn't be it because the only type of guns are BB guns so why would we need to restrict them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username00 View Post
All you smartasses saying ban fatty foods or heart attacks are making an incredibly terrible comparison to the "ban guns" debate. Heart attacks are not violent crimes against unsuspecting people going about their day. The only way it would be a fair comparison is if guns didn't kill or injure a single person other than the person using it. To compound this, gun deaths are typically either "accidental" or a violent death/murder.

I don't recall anyone ever accidentally eating themselves to death or murdering another person by themselves having a heart attack. I guess it's possible to eat your self to death on accident if a person is really that uneducated but I mean if people that dumb really exist in this world, I can't say letting them own guns is a good idea. And yet they do.

This is also true. Sometimes heart attacks just happen though because it's not easy to eat healthy these days and stress can also do a number on the heart so you can eat the right things but if you're always stressed it's not going to do you any good. So do we ban stress? Unfortunately stress is often unavoidable because it's a primal instinct unlike using a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The difference being that with heart disease, unless it is congenital, you have full control over it. With a gunman, not so much.

Thread fail.
I was going to say neither one we have full control over it once it happens. However there are ways to prevent it. At the current moment our country has control over the reduction of gun related deaths...one of which those ways is to modify the second amendment. It's just too bad we can't get everyone on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Seems you only care about me if I get shot but not if I have a heart attack.

Got it?
The issue is we can't prevent you having a heart attack. If anyone has the power to do that it's you (or maybe research scientists who seek out cures for diseases) but we do collectively have the power to reduce the chances of you getting shot.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:45 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. If the drunk survived, I hope he never sees the light of day again. Your analogy isn't exactly correct though. In some cases, a bartender or a club has been found partly at fault if they kept surviving a drunk guy.

As we have been told over and over, alcohol is regulating. You can't legally buy it until you're 21. If a store sold it to the driver without carding him, they can be found partly liable.

So alcohol is regulated. All we want is more regulations on guns as well as existing regulations enforced.
The drunk did. He was found like a mile away from the scene stumbling.
He was charged with 4 counts of vehicluar manslaughter.
Drunk was 41 years old.

He wasn't at a bar either. He was on his way to pick up more beer from his house...
Even if he were at a bar, I wouldn't hold the bar tender nor the bar responsible.

The individual is responsible for their actions.
Not the server in a bar, not the bar, not the store that sold the alcohol, not the automotive industry.

I don't want any more regulations pertaining to firearms what so ever either.
It would be a false equivalency if I were to propose a ban in memory of my friends, nobody needs (insert vehicle here) capable of (insert injuries here) nor does anyone need more than a 12 ounce bottle or can of beer.

That would be outright selfish. Plenty of people can and do consume alcohol and do so responsibly... why propose legislation to impact others uninvolved in what happened with 4 highschool classmates? Enlighten me as to why I should have grand stranded atop their graves and shake my fist saying more needs to be done?
Isn't because I didn't care.
They were 4 really close friends of mine.
Falsely equating others who's hands are clean, lumping them in the same group as that scumbag would have done nothing productive.

Someday I'll have rugrats.
If They get gunned down in school, I won't selfishly, emotionally call for bans, or curtailing the rights of others.
1st thing I'd do. Cease and desist orders against the media circulating the details of the heinous scumbag who did it.
No more reporting how many, the tactics used, the weapon used to serve as a study guide for future reference. There goes addressing motive.
Then I'm going to go after law makers and politicians that removed the kids teachers right to keep and bear arms in the classroom in lawful defense of my kid. There goes addressing incentive.
If it is found the police dropped the ball them too.
And to address intent If the shooter was on psychotropic medications... I'm going after the pharmaceutical company whose medication caused suicidal/homicidal ideations. Find out the scumbag was bullied. I might shame the bullies too.

Should any politician stand atop my kids grave and try to grandstand on their behalf for political points/relevancy, I'll publicly humiliate them by asking them to take the same protections my kid had in school, a gun free zone with no armed deterrence present...

I wouldn't dare conflate and falsely equate everyone else in the nation pro gun in the same category as the scumbag shooter.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:47 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
You have a chance, except against the advantage of the element of surprise, which the shooter always has.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Pr...385784431.html
Some element of surprise walking in openly carrying an AR15

Old 03-10-2018, 04:49 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 5 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,602,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Seems you only care about me if I get shot but not if I have a heart attack.

Got it?

1. Yes, we should do more to spot and prevent heart disease.

That, however, has nothing to do with the next point.

2. HOW a person dies is just as important as the death itself. It's a function of how agonizing the dying process is; how traumatic family, friends, and society finds the death; whether the death is from natural causes/diseases or not; and whether the death is deliberate or not.

- Affinity from others - family and friends missing the deceased's uniqueness as a person, the caring personality of the deceased, how much good and/or help of relief they supplied, etc.

- Painfulness of dying process - Less painful the dying process, less bad way to die

- Who/What caused the death - deliberately causing death more agonizing than accidental death or death from natural causes.

- Age at death - while deaths no matter at what age, are generally unwanted (save the bin Laden, torture-murders, etc. types), deaths at younger ages are generally more agonizing (for others and/or self) than deaths at older ages.

So it is that not all ways of dying are equal. Death from gunshot wound (especially deliberate murder) is MUCH more traumatic than a peaceful death after a long and full life. This is true even if I DON'T want you to die of a heart attack - or die at any age for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies