Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 09:54 AM

29,492 posts, read 14,656,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

I don't know about Soros but Bloomberg definitely had a part sponsoring it. Soros funds both anti and pro firearms groups, though , just not sure on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 10:41 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
The USA is #3 world wide in gun deaths....take away the five largest cities with gun violence,Chicago,Detroit,New Orleans,St Lewis,Cleveland and the USA is 4th from the bottom world wide.
Oh,BTW...all cities with strict gun laws and all run by democrats
Expand that out to the top 60 cities with a population of over 250,000 and you will find that:

"The analysis found that cities under Republican control were slightly less likely to have experienced an increase in homicides than those run by Democrats — but that the percentage difference, factoring in the very small sample size, is not significant.

Of the cities examined by The Trace, 44 were led by Democratic mayors. Twenty-six, or 59 percent, experienced a spike in their murder rates over that time period. Of the 14 big cities run by Republican mayors, half recorded an increase in homicide rates."
https://www.thetrace.org/2016/11/hom...blican-mayors/

And just for kicks, check out this map of mortality rates for death by injury from firearm and tell me how many of the states with the highest rate of firearm fatalities are run by democrats. This data is actually more revealing than talking about democratic mayors because gun laws are set on the state level, not by mayors.

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...2:%22asc%22%7D

Old 03-27-2018, 10:49 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
^^^^^I wonder what the homicide rate is for murders committed by people using other means than a gun?

Old 03-27-2018, 10:54 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I don't know about Soros but Bloomberg definitely had a part sponsoring it. Soros funds both anti and pro firearms groups, though , just not sure on this one.
Lots of organizations helped out.

Delta provided free flights for example.

My personal favorite is Robert Kraft, the owner of the New England Patriots (!), offering his own plane to fly some of the kids from Florida to DC.
The letter he left for the kids should be required reading.

"The New England Patriots loaned its team plane to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School students and their families traveling to Washington, D.C., for the March For Our Lives rally.
In the letter, Kraft expressed his support for the families on behalf of the Patriots organization.

"In the wake of incredible tragedy, we have hurt for you, mourned with you and been inspired by you," the letter read. "It is an honor for us to now partner with you as you push for progress.""

New England Patriots lend team plane to take Parkland students, families to Washington for March for Our Lives rally - ABC News

"Delta Air Lines donated three charter flights to the families and students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida."

New England Patriots, Delta give free flights for March for Our Lives - Business Insider

Not march specific, but tennis player Nick Kyrios hit with some of the kids during the Miami Open tennis tournament and got Nike to provide the school's tennis team with new equipment.

Nick Kyrgios shows soft side with Parkland shooting survivors at Miami Open | Miami Herald

Lots of other examples out there.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:59 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^I wonder what the homicide rate is for murders committed by people using other means than a gun?
No need to wonder, go look it up. The FBI breaks down homicide by type of weapon.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:12 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
"Children have the right to be treated by adults with tenderness and respect, as equals" ~ Janusz Korczak

Yes, people of all ages have rights. It is well defined in the US Constitution.
I don't see being treated with kindness, or respect, as anyone's right. Respect is earned, not given.

I have every right to offend you, as you do to me.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:34 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Those signs, from both rallies, were intentionally left in front of Trump's International Hotel to give him a message. But keep on trying to bully and trash anyone you disagree with. Bullying those with differing opinions is the Modus operandi of the right and bullying is a behavior children learn from their parents.

Women’s March Protesters Dumped Their Signs?

Rejection, bullying are risk factors among shooters
I detect a touch of hypocrisy, considering the way that the left reacts to any criticism of their beliefs. Didn't agree with Obama's policies? Racist. Didn't vote for Hillary? Deplorable. Need I go on? The truth is, politics in America has devolved into name calling. Both sides are bullies.

While I respect the Parkland students for standing up for what they believe in, I don't feel that they should be treated with kid gloves because of their age or their recent trauma. If they're willing to play in the cesspool that is politics, they'd better get some thick skins.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:42 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No need to wonder, go look it up. The FBI breaks down homicide by type of weapon.
Here is a map of 2017 VIOLENT CRIME by state. It shows that some states with the strictest gun control laws like CA, NY, MD, MA, IL, have very high rates of violent crime. Some of the states with less restrictive gun laws also have high rates. This tells me it is more demographics than the possession of legally owned firearms by the law abiding.

https://www.santarosa-lawyer.com/uni...rime-map-2017/

Old 03-27-2018, 12:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Here is a map of 2017 VIOLENT CRIME by state. It shows that some states with the strictest gun control laws like CA, NY, MD, MA, IL, have very high rates of violent crime. Some of the states with less restrictive gun laws also have high rates. This tells me it is more demographics than the possession of legally owned firearms by the law abiding.

https://www.santarosa-lawyer.com/uni...rime-map-2017/

When a very small % of only 13% of the total population, commit 53% of all murders and 69% of all violent crime, the common sense conclusion is, CULTURE!
Raised in a culture of victimization, victimizing, violence and hatred, compared to a culture of tolerant loving environment, where it is not what you do when every one is watching that defines you. It is what you do when no one is watching, that is what you are all about. Integrity, morals, dependability, responsibility, and most of all, educated. There is a culture war on, for your mind.

Good v. Evil.

And the tyrants want me to disarm! That is insane, or they want to control my every move, so I can never say NO and mean it..

Old 03-27-2018, 05:24 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
If you were shot at and saw your friends dying around you, you may think differently about assault type weapons....
I own a few guns, but I'm not a gun nut. However, if I was a 15-77 year old HS student and someone announced ,free tickets and meals for the DC trip to protest, I'd be all over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies