Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 02:49 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I do not disagree with you.

So, I don't get why it upsets you that there are enough gun owners who are shady that we need to take extra measures to keep guns away from THOSE GUN OWNERS.
We already do background checks. Convicted felons are prohibited from buying/possessing guns. They have them anyway. WHY? Criminals don't obey laws. Same reason there's a HUGE problem with BOTH illegal and prescription drug use/addiction in the U.S. Opioids, even legal prescriptions, are very tightly controlled. How's that working out? Solve the drug abuse/addiction problem, yet? Or is it only getting worse?

Old 03-26-2018, 02:49 PM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
We can create a system that measures ballistics, rate of fire, mag capacity, in order to see what is the most dangerous. In my opinion the key measurement is rate of fire and mag size. Weapons that can easily put lots of bullets downrange are going to be the most lethal to a large number of people. The Parkland shooter armed with a hunting rifle would not have been able to kill 15 plus people. The bullets for a hunting rifle are more lethal but the volume of fire is much much lower. Hence they pose less of a threat then an AR-15 would.

Again this is just my take
I get it, and when you are talking about rate of fire in a semi auto regardless of type, it is dependent on how quickly one pulls the trigger. You will probably find that a mag fed semi auto shotgun will be the most lethal. I'm sure that isn't what you want to hear though.
Your suggestions are much more logical then what many others have stated though. And i'm sure many firearms owners would be fine with this, with refinement. Except this isn't what the media, politicians and these kids are pushing though.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:50 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
Weapons of war? Are you referring to the AR-15? A firearm that has never been used by a standing military for combat?
Let's not kid ourselves. The AR-15 is the "civilian" version of the M-16.

Everyone knows this, even firearms manufacturers.

https://gundigest.com/reviews/the-ar...supposed-to-be

Old 03-26-2018, 02:50 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Sure, but it looks like he was never charged with felony. If the school did expel him for that reason it looks like the police were never involved. Its not hard to see how someone like Cruz could have fallen through the cracks. As a said before, in another country he would just be a disturbed scumbag. We presented him with the opportunity for mass murder as we have in every mass shooting in living memory.

Easy, the Chicago gangbangers just pop on over to Indiana 20 minutes away to buy their guns. In Balitmore's case they are an hour from Virginia where the gun laws are very lenant. They have traced firearms from one gun store in Gary Indiana to dozens of gangland shootings in the Southside of Chicago.
You mean gang banngers lie on the 4473? I think you need to report this to the FBI and other such entities.....they need to know.

Also, it's funny that a map can be provided, but not many are caught....

Old 03-26-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Read further...

(2)(a)A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:
1. In a case to a firearms program, class or function which has been approved in advance by the principal or chief administrative officer of the school as a program or class to which firearms could be carried;
2. In a case to a career center having a firearms training range; or
3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.
For the purposes of this section, “school” means any preschool, elementary school, middle school, junior high school, secondary school, career center, or postsecondary school, whether public or nonpublic.

(b) A person who willfully and knowingly possesses any electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, in violation of this subsection commits a felony of the third degree

3rd degree felony. He should have been arrested and prosecuted. And with a felony conviction on his record, he never would have passed a background check to buy a gun.

Wow, one would think this would be big news...except it hurts the entire leftist agenda.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:51 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,243,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You've nailed zero....pistols kill far more people, adding to that fact, hands and feet, bats, and blunt objects kill far more than that mean old black rifle...
Yeah but when it is used that old mean black rifle kills people by the dozen.

You are right pistols present a huge problem in terms of crime and spree shootings and should be tightly controlled as well. AR-15's are hugely problematic but other guns shouldn't be so easily ignored.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:52 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
We already do background checks. Convicted felons are prohibited from buying/possessing guns. They have them anyway. WHY? Criminals don't obey laws. Same reason there's a HUGE problem with BOTH illegal and prescription drug use/addiction in the U.S. Opioids, even legal prescriptions, are very tightly controlled. How's that working out? Solve the drug abuse/addiction problem, yet? Or is it only getting worse?
I think the background checks and measures we have are not enough.

I do not think adding extra precautions will stop a law-abiding SANE person from owning a gun.

And, criminals will do whatever anyway, so why don't the rest of us just agree to protect ourselves with better background checks?

I know the huge fear is a repeal of the 2nd, but nobody who has any authority or real power wants that and it's unlikely that any large group of people would EVER get together and agree to that.

That sorta stuff is fearmongering.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:55 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Easy, the Chicago gangbangers just pop on over to Indiana 20 minutes away to buy their guns.
But, but, but... There are LAWS and CONTROLS against convicted felons buying/possessing guns. Why don't strict gun control laws work?

CRIMINALS DON'T OBEY LAWS, CONTROLS, OR REGULATIONS.

I made the same observation about the drug abuse/addiction/overdose deaths in the U.S. Opioids, even legal prescriptions, are very strictly controlled. How's that working out? Solve the drug abuse/addiction/overdose deaths problem, yet? Or is it only getting worse?

Old 03-26-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
The Virginia tech shooter used pistols and killed 32 people and wounded 17. He also used a .22 pistol, after he got rid of his primary pistol....

How else would you like to to qualify (quantify) this? Would the actual FBI page work?

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s..._2010-2014.xls
That is like the 100th time someone else or myself have posted this link. When will people get it...and depending on the year, knives have taken more lives.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Sure, but it looks like he was never charged with felony. If the school did expel him for that reason it looks like the police were never involved. Its not hard to see how someone like Cruz could have fallen through the cracks. As a said before, in another country he would just be a disturbed scumbag. We presented him with the opportunity for mass murder as we have in every mass shooting in living memory.

Easy, the Chicago gangbangers just pop on over to Indiana 20 minutes away to buy their guns. In Balitmore's case they are an hour from Virginia where the gun laws are very lenant. They have traced firearms from one gun store in Gary Indiana to dozens of gangland shootings in the Southside of Chicago.
And those gangbangers aren't buying those firearms legally, regardless of where they go. Unless they have a clean record or they find a crooked FFL. Either way, multiple felonies are committed. So , more laws then ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies