Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2018, 05:35 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times

Advertisements

The Prince of Darkness by the late Bob Novak is a great read for any political junkie. Novak delves into the nitty-gritty aspects of his 50 years as a reporter. If he had a motto, it might be 'just the facts.'

The book reveals that D.C. floats on a sea of booze. He admits to having an alcohol problem himself, which lessened only after a bout of spinal meningitis. After that, drinking made him horribly sick.

One incident from the book involves then-senator LBJ in 1960. At the time the senate was Novak's beat. Novak was drinking at the DC national press club bar. Someone burst in saying that LBJ was in the press club ballroom and was 'drunk as a loon.' Novak and his friend went to see. LBJ grabbed Novak, 'embracing me and swirling me in a little dance.' As they danced, LBJ chanted over and over 'Bob I like (lahk) you, but you don't like me.'

Novak was surprised to see that LBJ had no aides or driver to get him home. They helped LBJ, who was a huge guy, get down to the press club lobby, and got him a taxi to take him home.

Another story involved Daniel Patrick Moynihan, who was in Nixon's cabinet, but resigned to go back to Harvard in order to preserve his tenure. A party was held to mark the occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak
I was a pretty fair country drinker, but Pat was a big Irishman who could drink me under the table. ... After trying to keep up with Pat, at the end of four hours I was having trouble downing ne drink to his two...When we left Locke Ober at eleven p.m, I could hardly walk...Pat was in better shape than I and guided me...to the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, where I was staying.

Now as then, Washington DC floats on a sea of booze. Keep that in mind the next time some liberal claims that DC deserves to be the richest region in the land because they have all the super-smart, super-sophisticated people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 05:43 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,550,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Now as then, Washington DC floats on a sea of booze. Keep that in mind the next time some liberal claims that DC deserves to be the richest region in the land because they have all the super-smart, super-sophisticated people.
What does that have to to do with people drinking alcohol? Breaking news: Even wealthy, educated people drink booze.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:57 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The Prince of Darkness by the late Bob Novak is a great read for any political junkie. Novak delves into the nitty-gritty aspects of his 50 years as a reporter. If he had a motto, it might be 'just the facts.'

The book reveals that D.C. floats on a sea of booze. He admits to having an alcohol problem himself, which lessened only after a bout of spinal meningitis. After that, drinking made him horribly sick.

One incident from the book involves then-senator LBJ in 1960. At the time the senate was Novak's beat. Novak was drinking at the DC national press club bar. Someone burst in saying that LBJ was in the press club ballroom and was 'drunk as a loon.' Novak and his friend went to see. LBJ grabbed Novak, 'embracing me and swirling me in a little dance.' As they danced, LBJ chanted over and over 'Bob I like (lahk) you, but you don't like me.'

Novak was surprised to see that LBJ had no aides or driver to get him home. They helped LBJ, who was a huge guy, get down to the press club lobby, and got him a taxi to take him home.

Another story involved Daniel Patrick Moynihan, who was in Nixon's cabinet, but resigned to go back to Harvard in order to preserve his tenure. A party was held to mark the occasion.

I don't recall seeing or hearing anyone of any political stripe make such a claim. That's just kind of odd.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:03 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
What does that have to to do with people drinking alcohol? Breaking news: Even wealthy, educated people drink booze.
If I made a living off bilking people of their hard earned money, lying constantly, mincing words and twisting myself into a pretzel to justify and defend my participation in the swamp... yea, I'd probably have to drink myself into a stupor just to get some sleep every night.

Pretty much why Gowdy is retiring and Chaffetz already retired.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:09 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I don't recall seeing or hearing anyone of any political stripe make such a claim. That's just kind of odd.
I've had this claim made several times in response to posts. As you probably know the DC area has been the wealthiest region in the US for several years now. It used to be Silicon Valley, and before that was other finance and manufacturing regions. Now the center of wealth is DC.

When I have pointed this out to those who want to solve income inequality with bigger gov't I get the response that DC deserves to be the richest, because they tend to be more highly educated.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/50336391-post10.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies