Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 07:34 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

I have a Words with Friends account. They give users a choice, a video ad after each move or pay a one time fee of $10 to eliminate all ads, going forward.

Works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 07:39 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Waaaaaaaaaaaaa

I don't like how the free service uses my information

Myth:

"Facebook is free and always will be".

Reality:

Nothing is free..... the cost of using social media is your privacy.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:45 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I've never had a facebook account and probably never will. I'm feeling pretty smug about that these days
I created one when many forums required a secondary source of ID, so to speak. It's a serious waste of time unless you like crap from people you barely know sent to you because their lives suck. I'm stuck in a blizzard, here's some memes you've seen 50 times already. What's the dumbest one, candy crush. I still don't know what it is but see that stupid invite still when my redirect logon takes me there.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:48 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Same for me. Why would someone want to publish the intimate details of their life for all the world to see?
There was a time not too long ago when Facebook privacy settings allowed you to permit only friends to see that you even had a profile at all.

Not anymore.

Facebook keeps moving the bar more and more to their benefit at the expense of your privacy expectations.

Now, even if you have your privacy settings set as strict as possible, anyone who searches your name can see that you have an account, your profile pic and some basic info.

And if you're not savvy enough to keep up with Facebook's ever changing parameters and privacy settings, you may be allowing a lot more of your information out there to anyone who cares to look than you think you are.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:55 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
You see that aspect, others see them as a germinating ground for the likes of Cambridge Analytica and other fake news that helped put Trump in office.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm not saying you are right. My guess is that their "agenda" is to make money. Everything else is just a byproduct.
I agree to a point. However, their owners, management, and employees are by far Progressive with a radical, leftist agenda. So far this has coincided with their success, as many people that aren't progressive, or political at all have been duped, and continue to be exploited. Often, unknowingly.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:06 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,402,596 times
Facebook is a wasteland full of people's opinion, both left and right, that I don't care a nickel about; as opposed to this forum in which I care very deeply how its members think and very much value their opinions.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I agree to a point. However, their owners, management, and employees are by far Progressive with a radical, leftist agenda. So far this has coincided with their success, as many people that aren't progressive, or political at all have been duped, and continue to be exploited. Often, unknowingly.
At 2017 year end, FB had 2.2 billion active users.

None of them were forced to use it.

At 2017 year end, FB employed more than 25,000 people compared to 150 employees in 2006. No telling the ideology each employee.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 04-09-2018 at 08:22 AM..

Old 04-09-2018, 08:14 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
How so?

Old 04-09-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
[
I also now found that Facebook removed a post from my page that was a news article of a NFL player who burned the American flag in the locker room and it was removed but facebook as it was considered hate speech.

So burning a flag in a locker room is allowed but posting a news article from one of the major news papers is hate speech according to Facebook.
FB, like other media, makes use of technology to identify photo-shopped content. The news article you mention used a photoshopped picture to tell its fake news story.

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/10/se...dnt-burn-flag/

People believe anything when it appears the content validates their perceptions.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:18 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Facebook is a wasteland full of people's opinion, both left and right, that I don't care a nickel about; as opposed to this forum in which I care very deeply how its members think and very much value their opinions.
Really? Not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies