Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 07:17 PM

5,861 posts, read 3,301,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Where’s the mainstream media with its 24/7 news coverage on this? Why no protests and riots over this?

https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/498228002
Great job by the cops. He refused to listen to orders. He lunged at them with a weapon that can cause serious physical injury. The cops shot him. Thank god the cops are ok to go home to their families!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 07:23 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,123,244 times
BLM will be deafeningly silent because they don't care about white police shooting victims.

White people don't care because they always defend cops no matter what.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:25 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
BLM will be deafeningly silent because they don't care about white police shooting victims.

White people don't care because they always defend cops no matter what.
Or maybe because the officer's actions were justified??? Maybe BLM agrees..

Ordered several times to drop screwdriver.
Tasered and still didn't comply
Lunged at the officer brandishing a weapon.

What exactly do you expect the cop to do?

Old 04-09-2018, 07:27 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
  • Once again... There is media coverage - else nobody would know about it.
  • Why isn't there more coverage... because YOU don't care enough.
  • And once again... for some reason, white people "choose" not to protest when their own are killed by cops. I guess they think it's no problem. As for riots. They are always rare.

His being white doesn't make him "one of our own".

And it certainly doesn't mean his dumb ass didn't deserve to get shot for threatening police with a weapon.

The consequences of playing stupid games.... (winning stupid prizes).... doesn't change with the color of your skin.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:29 PM

1,239 posts, read 511,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Where’s the mainstream media with its 24/7 news coverage on this? Why no protests and riots over this?

https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/498228002
They tried to talk the guy down for quite a while.
Then they tazed him.
Only after he charged, made it a few steps, and was within 5 feet of a cop did they fire 4-5 times.

You somehow think this is similar to the cases that people protest?

Old 04-09-2018, 07:29 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
  • Once again... There is media coverage - else nobody would know about it.
  • Why isn't there more coverage... because YOU don't care enough.
  • And once again... for some reason, white people "choose" not to protest when their own are killed by cops. I guess they think it's no problem. As for riots. They are always rare.
In reference to your first point: yes, there is some news coverage. However, there is no where near the coverage this would be getting if this were a man of any shade other than white. That is the point that was being made by the user you responded too. It's not that there is NO coverage, it's the lack of real mainstream media coverage (CNN, MSNBC, etc.) reporting on this. If it were a man of color, this story would be running on those networks.

In reference to your second point: no, that is absolutely not the case. The fact is....most people don't know this happened at all. Why? See my first point. Lack of real coverage in the news equals far less people are hearing about the incident. If equal coverage were being given to police shootings against white people as is given to police shootings against people of color, I believe you would see a lot more people getting involved. Problem is, we usually don't even hear about these killings. Also, unlike a lot of minority groups, white people seem to be less likely to jump straight to the conclusion that deadly force was not warranted and that the officers were in the wrong. Which means there is less likely to be an immediate backlash against the police when a white person is killed. I, like many others, actually want to know what happened before immediately condemning the police. This does not seem to be the case within the minority communities. Many would argue that they have the right to be immediately critical of police actions, and perhaps that's true. But I personally still believe in due process and the presentation of evidence before I condemn a person's actions.

And finally, in reference to your third point: no, white people do not think it's "no problem" when another white man is killed. Nor do they think that when a black, yellow, red, green, blue, etc. person is killed. White people simply seek other means of compensation and retribution. Oh, and I agree, riots are rare. And generally ridiculous.

PS. Personally, I think this man could have been subdued without deadly force. I know many people will say the police were justified, but I think they could have done more to "protect" and serve this man. I know he was acting crazy, and I know he had a "weapon", but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I would have taken this man down without a gun. I can say this because I've done it before. My best friend's brother flipped out and tried to stab his brother with a wood chisel one night when I was in my early 20's. (The brother with the weapon was on crack) While he was distracted trying to chase my friend, I locked him up and force the chisel from his hand, then put him on the ground and kept him there until he chilled out a bit. The moves I used to disarm and detain my friend are basic self defense that I'm sure police officers are trained to use. I think perhaps officers need to be reminded that sometimes there are other ways to stop and detain a citizen without using their guns.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 04-09-2018 at 07:37 PM..

Old 04-09-2018, 07:31 PM

27,657 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Will cnn cover this? Will they announce his skin pigment in thier headline? Anybody that doesn’t recognize this ugly practice by the msm is useful idiot

Old 04-09-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Or maybe because the officer's actions were justified??? Maybe BLM agrees..

Ordered several times to drop screwdriver.
Tasered and still didn't comply
Lunged at the officer brandishing a weapon.

What exactly do you expect the cop to do?
In this case they may be able to claim self defense. Being a cop has nothing to do with it.

I was just making the point that the hundreds of white police shooting victims every year get very little coverage compared to black victims because it doesn't fit the media narrative--i.e. Stephon Clark vs. Daniel Shaver--and white people refuse to stand up for the white victims like BLM does with black victims.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
... there is no where near the coverage this would be getting if this were a man of any shade other than white. That is the point that was being made by the user you responded too. It's not that there is NO coverage, it's the lack of real mainstream media coverage (CNN, MSNBC, etc.) reporting on this. If it were a man of color, this story would be running on those networks.

In reference to your second point: no, that is absolutely not the case. The fact is....most people don't know this happened at all. Why? See my first point. Lack of real coverage in the news equals far less people are hearing about the incident. If equal coverage were being given to police shootings against white people as is given to police shootings against people of color, I believe you would see a lot more people getting involved. Problem is, we usually don't even hear about these killings...
The dearth of media coverage of Daniel Shaver's blatant execution bordered on criminal. If he had been black Phoenix would have burned down.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:56 PM

1,406 posts, read 802,035 times
I think the OP's point was that, if the suspect had been black, the media would be all over it because it feeds into the racism narrative they like to play up, and there would be protests calling for the officer's head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies