Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 10:38 AM

34,940 posts, read 36,280,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Oh, I see.

well, some people just love to make negative comments in order to make others feel bad about themselves. Miserable people usually love to "attack." lol

if I saw that photo, I would send her a quick comment saying, "Hey, you look great in that red dress. Hope you enjoy your time. Take care."

I am a girl and I love to give other women compliments. "Hey, Mrs so and so, you look wonderful today." "Miss so and so, you are a beautiful woman." I like to make people happy, well, generally speaking.
Nobody was cutting down her looks. She's a really pretty girl.

It was about the appropriateness or not of her wardrobe and of the group pose choice.

That's all. And, if you post it publicly, you have to expect people to comment. Twitter is like that. It's a real cesspool most of the time.

No way I'd be over there posting photos of myself unless I was already a public figure.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
While I understand what you are saying, that is the world we live in now. It seems only us old people that use FB have privacy settings set to Friends Only. Though I don't think I would go as far as saying she did it on purpose but who knows?
True... it's silly to invite the entire world into your private business, though.

I think her parents should've taught her that.

And, I do wonder if she did it intentionally because it seems that becoming a social media "star" is quite popular at the moment.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I totally agree with you regarding the attention wh*ring aspect of making one's social media pages public. When you stand on a soapbox and share your life with everyone, ye shall reap what ye sowed.
I cannot even imagine the logic behind doing that. I am amazed when people my own age have pages set for stuff like "friends of friends." Because I know that anything I post on their page, timeline, etc will be open for the world to see, pretty much.

The ones who are full out "public" are even more of a trip. Noo... not me. I am friends only. Nobody follows me without my permission.

I am not that interested in a lot of random attention from strangers, though.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Well, many people post their prom photos on facebook, hardly an "attention who&e" behavior.

Plus, those who constantly look for the faults in others, usually spend no time to correct their own.

<shrug>
Most of the people who post those on FB have timelines set to "Friends Only" though.

If you post a photo on a public timeline or page, you ARE looking for attention from everyone on the planet who has internet access and an account, so you have to take the bad with the good.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:44 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

It was about the appropriateness or not of her wardrobe and of the group pose choice.

That's all. And, if you post it publicly, you have to expect people to comment. Twitter is like that. It's a real cesspool most of the time.

No way I'd be over there posting photos of myself unless I was already a public figure.
That is you though, she chose to post that photo and she shouldn't be attacked like that.

I stayed in China and Japan for several years. I am 99.99999% sure if somebody worn the Chinese dress or a traditional kimono, majority of the Chinese people and Japanese people would be very flattered.

I guess it is the cultural difference right there.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:45 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,659,336 times
only issue is the pose.

That's just corny tho...

Old 05-01-2018, 10:45 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Most of the people who post those on FB have timelines set to "Friends Only" though.

If you post a photo on a public timeline or page, you ARE looking for attention from everyone on the planet who has internet access and an account, so you have to take the bad with the good.
I agree with the taking the bad with the good part. I still believe the people who attack a total stranger on the internet must be very miserable people.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
That is you though, she chose to post that photo and she shouldn't be attacked like that.

I stayed in China and Japan for several years. I am 99.99999% sure if somebody worn the Chinese dress or a traditional kimono, majority of the Chinese people and Japanese people would be very flattered.

I guess it is the cultural difference right there.
Well, plenty of people "shouldn't be attacked" but that's not how social media (or forums, in some cases) work, and it's not like we can force other people to act the way we want them to act.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:47 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,404,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The cultural appropriation nonsense has to stop .

Isn’t America supposed to be a “melting pot “ you don’t hear that much anymore .

If everyone only wore the clothes or cooked the food of their “culture “ wouldn’t it be boring ?
America has often prided itself in being a cultural melting pot.

I have said this several times on FB, including variations of the wording, and I say it again, "cultural appropriation may be immoral and unethical, but it is legal here. Also, practically every culture has appropriated from at least 1 other culture." By "immoral or unethical", I mean an example of like a KKK member might wear a Native American headdress to a KKK rally. That is culturally insensitive, but it is legal.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
only issue is the pose.

That's just corny tho...
It pretty much is the only issue from my personal perspective, but I can see how it might offend.

I see white kids flashing gang signs in prom photos and I think that's pretty strange, too.

But, it's one of the perks of being white, as it were. You can do that stuff and most people will defend it, even if it might be insensitive.

I say this as a white person, mind you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies