Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a split of the US?
Yes, it would be best for all concerned 71 35.68%
No, the country must stay together at all costs 128 64.32%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 11:59 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

Well, it would certainly be a rude awakening for the taker red states, the ones who get more money from the federal government than they pay in as taxes. I guess when those states go belly up, the blue states would be able to buy what's left for pennies on the dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 12:01 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
No. The South would quickly devolve into a third-world theocracy with the Baptist church running things (and likely executing people for things as simple as blasphemy and apostasy) with a rich ruling class and everyone else would be peasants.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:06 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
....based on liberal and conservative ideologies?

This isn't a "do you think the country will break up " question, but rather whether you would support such a proposal, based on the ongoing battle between conservatives and liberals.
Seems to be a real dream of the radical religious nutjobs who see their influence fading.

Give them the Aleutian Islands.

Call it "Creationlandia."

Old 05-02-2018, 12:17 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Isn't the liberal/conservation divide mostly between urban vs. rural areas? I'm not sure how you would execute that split.
As an example, here are the 2016 maps for

Texas: https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/texas

Clinton won the counties that include Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and El Paso.

Georgia: https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/georgia

Clinton took Atlanta, Augusta and Columbus

Here are the top MSAs by GDP. They would almost all be part of the United Blue Counties of America.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...n_areas_by_GDP

Old 05-02-2018, 12:28 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
I say make it 3 countries

CA,OR,WA,AK,HI as one liberal country (I realize Alaska isn't liberal, but where else would you put it?)

NY,PA,VT,NH,ME,MA,CT,RI,NJ,DE,MD,VA as another liberal country

And the other 33 states as the third.

Make the Capital of liberal Country #1 either Seattle or San Francisco

Make the Capital of liberal Country #2 Boston (since if NYC were the capital, it would be too dominant)

And the Capital of Conservative land could be Dallas (since Chicago might be too dominant and not conservative at that)

Call it a day after that

Old 05-02-2018, 12:39 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
I support the idea, give the conservatives North Dakota to do with what they please. Let the alt-right do all of the crazy stuff they can dream up. No reentry into the United States though. Once you enter conservative zone, there is no coming back.

Kindergarten students open carrying handguns
Bring back slavery
Women can't attend school or work
Attendance at an evangelical church each week will be mandatory

Old 05-02-2018, 12:39 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I say make it 3 countries

CA,OR,WA,AK,HI as one liberal country (I realize Alaska isn't liberal, but where else would you put it?)

NY,PA,VT,NH,ME,MA,CT,RI,NJ,DE,MD,VA as another liberal country

And the other 33 states as the third...
I have a similar solution: assign OR, WA, HI and AK to Canada, making them provinces. Likewise with the upper Midwest, with Chicago as its southern terminus. Return CA, CO, AZ, NM, NV and UT to Mexico. The East Coast states, from the southern tip of Maine down to Northern Virginia, going only as far west as the western exurbs of Philadelphia, become a Netherlands-like highly-urbanized new nation. The remainder of the country - from Idaho in the NW to most of Illinois, across to the Alleghenies in PA, south to Florida and back west to Texas, become their own nation.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:43 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
The country is already divided...liberals have their 'safe rooms' and conservatives live in reality.
Wow!!! I guess all the work I do on a daily basis is a "safe room" and not reality. WHO KNEW?

Old 05-02-2018, 12:44 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
I actually think it might be time for the Aliens solution. Nuke the US from orbit, it is the only way to be sure that the Trump cult has been eliminated.

If Sherman had burnt more stuff and every Confederate scumbag had been executed things would have turned out much better.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:45 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
It's more likely to be a war where winner takes all. The only major precedents for splitting territory because of political differences was after a 30 year war where 8 million people died in Europe and in Central Asia when Muslim aggression made their presence untenable in Northern India (the remnants still being a major political problem). Hello Pakistan, which is to this day a major threat and problem.

There is no political impetus toward such a thing today nor in most of recorded history that is dominated by imperialism. It would be winner take all, and re-education camps for the losers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies