Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 12:30 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,219,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
This recent influx is "seeking asylum" because they see it as a way around entering illegally. Generally if they are seeking asylum they have a fairly long wait for their case to be heard up to a year often in which time they are given benefits until their case is heard. During this time the norm has been to disappear and work illegally never showing up for their hearing. Families get that anchor baby out to play on the emotions of the justice system and public incase they are found and threatened with deportation some time down the road.

Most of these people are from Guatemala and Honduras. Mexico is the first safe country. If they were truly in need of asylum they could get that in Mexico. Most of these people do not meet the requirements for asylum.
I do agree with you, that these babies and children are being used by their illegal parents as a means of entry into our country.

And I also fee that one of the biggest differences between the immigrants of a hundred years ago and now, is that in the past, the immigrants arriving in the US were closer in education and job skill levels to Americans. But these days, the immigrants coming in have a great gap in education and skills than US citizens. Plus the fact that there are so many more government handout programs for the poor. And since we have to teach the children of illegals, we have to hire teachers that can school them in their native tongue. So processing immigrants into our society has become much more costly to the taxpayers than it did in previous generations.

And to all the bleeding heart liberals in this thread, do they even realize that the US is not a wealthy country? In fact, our economy is rather unhealthy with its massive government debt and the majority of Americans deep in personal credit card and student debt. Most Americans don't even have money saved for retirement! We have no excess funds, jobs or housing to give to these needy illegals.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:40 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,746,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
This recent influx is "seeking asylum" because they see it as a way around entering illegally. Generally if they are seeking asylum they have a fairly long wait for their case to be heard up to a year often in which time they are given benefits until their case is heard. During this time the norm has been to disappear and work illegally never showing up for their hearing. Families get that anchor baby out to play on the emotions of the justice system and public incase they are found and threatened with deportation some time down the road.

Most of these people are from Guatemala and Honduras. Mexico is the first safe country. If they were truly in need of asylum they could get that in Mexico. Most of these people do not meet the requirements for asylum.
Many Many of these folks DO stay in Mexico.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:43 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,104,247 times
Our country is losing its soul. Absolutely no reason to separate families. House them together and if they are going to be deported for entering illegally. Do so together.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:45 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,607,782 times
I am so saddened by the number of heartless people here, ones who KNOW what is happening to these children, and don't care.

And we wonder how things like the internment of Japanese American citizens can happen. Never again?

Oh what short memories.

Bet most of them think they're "good Christian people". Flippin' hypocrites.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:49 PM

36,655 posts, read 30,967,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I do agree with you, that these babies and children are being used by their illegal parents as a means of entry into our country.

And I also fee that one of the biggest differences between the immigrants of a hundred years ago and now, is that in the past, the immigrants arriving in the US were closer in education and job skill levels to Americans. But these days, the immigrants coming in have a great gap in education and skills than US citizens. Plus the fact that there are so many more government handout programs for the poor. And since we have to teach the children of illegals, we have to hire teachers that can school them in their native tongue. So processing immigrants into our society has become much more costly to the taxpayers than it did in previous generations.

And to all the bleeding heart liberals in this thread, do they even realize that the US is not a wealthy country? In fact, our economy is rather unhealthy with its massive government debt and the majority of Americans deep in personal credit card and student debt. Most Americans don't even have money saved for retirement! We have no excess funds, jobs or housing to give to these needy illegals.

People are also forgetting that often time these parents that are supposedly having their children ripped from them aren't the parents. Also many children come across the border alone, no adults.
The article I linked about the Texas WalMart facility said the majority of the boys there came without adults.

No one yet has given their idea on what should be done with the 50,000 people a month showing up at the border. Where do we house all of them, how do we keep track of them, feed them, etc. How do their numbers affect the ones who have been awaiting asylum from war torn countries or who have gone through the proper channels to legally immigrate here.

No one has commented on the fate of the over 2 million US children taken by DHS when their parents commit crimes or go AWOL or the lack of foster care and facilities we have now for US kids already in the system.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Many Many of these folks DO stay in Mexico.

How many? How many refugees had Mexico take in from its border?

Old 06-14-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Our country is losing its soul. Absolutely no reason to separate families. House them together and if they are going to be deported for entering illegally. Do so together.
Do you know what had bee happening when they are housed together awaiting a hearing?

Old 06-14-2018, 01:59 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,568,768 times
After separating the kids thy go ohh to be maids and groundskeepers for the rich. Got to replace the illegal adults they are deporting.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:01 PM

11,987 posts, read 5,313,263 times
Supposedly ICE literally forceably took an infant from a nursing mother.

Family values.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/migran...-breastfeeding

Last edited by Bureaucat; 06-14-2018 at 02:42 PM..

Old 06-14-2018, 02:30 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,219,097 times
Listening to NPR just now, a family of nine from Guatemala (there are grandparents and a SIL involved) are at the Mexican side of the bridge in Brownsville, TX, waiting to claim refugee status. And their reason? One or two of their teen sons have been threatened by a drug gang. IMO that's not enough reason for the whole family of nine to leave their country. If they have any ties to another country, then send the sons, but the rest of the family needs to stay in Guatemala.

IMO another instance of a family trying to use their children to gain entry into the US.

And we have drug gang violence in the US, what about our urban teens at risk? Shouldn't they be relocated to safety ahead of faux refugees in the same situation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies