Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 07:11 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 25 days ago)

27,640 posts, read 16,123,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Go back to showing HS students pics of genitalia that look like balloon animals so they know what to expect with unprotected sex with a prostitute.
..... probably a better alternative than passing around the large plastic weenie/condom musical chairs thing. That’s just a bizarre idea that could only come from a weirdo. “Here kids, lets play the giant weenie musical chair game”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 07:19 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
oftentimes in recent history black people have been experimented on
Yes, black people have access to clinical trials. You would prefer that they didn't?

Old 05-08-2018, 07:23 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
On medical mistrust - will note that I mentioned "recent history."

My mother was pushed to try to put me on birth control in the 1990s and early 2000s when I was in high school/college that have caused many black women to have various side effects (both minor and some serious) including infertility.

Glad that I was adamant about not using hormonal birth control. FWIW there was a settlement in regards to Norplant in particular back in the late 1990s for harm done to primarily poor black women.

Oftentimes in recent history, specific sorts of contraceptives were even forced upon black women by social health organizations, which is why many are leary of going to public health clinics.

I'll note that I never would go to a public health clinic for any medical care due to them being geared toward poor people and IMO them not having the best interests of patients in mind and them not seeing patients as people. I've had to go to the clinics before when I was younger and poorer (once) and I decided I'd rather go to Planned Parenthood or some other sort of clinic not provided by the county/city government.

Again though, many of you are not aware of the history of the medical community either being sort of predatory and uncaring about black people or them outright denying black people treatment, which causes the mistrust.

More non-governmental type of clinics would be beneficial. When I was in college, I got all my birth control, condoms, and female healthcare at PP clinics.

I also feel in general, condom usage is not pushed like it used to be. It was actually mentioned frequently in hip hop songs back in the 1990s and 2000s. HIV/Aids has declined and people feel it is more safe to engage in unprotected sex as a result as they don't see syphillis or other STDs as dangerous to them like HIV/Aids used to be seen (and some people don't even see it as dangerous today).

I do think that in general our society is more "loose" in regards to sex today with all these sex/hookup apps as was mentioned in the piece.

But "racism" is not the same thing as racial health disparities and there has always been racial health disparities and class based health disparities in America.

IMO this thread is really based upon the fact that certain posters around here are triggered by the word "racism" and since this was published in liberal LA you all want to rail against the black people without having any real knowledge of the history of health disparities and mistrust of the medical community that black people have for a valid reason.

Even though I am not poor and have great healthcare professionals as my doctors today - I don't fully trust them and never will - not for me or my children, because I am very knowledgeable about the fact that implicit bias in particular is very common in the medical community and can and will effect my or my families and my communities healthcare outcomes.

I'll note on STDs rising as well, that I do think they need more comprehensive sex-ed programs in schools that are specific to all STDs and relationships in general and I don't think they do a good job in school sex-ed programs. Also poorer communities have parents who work a lot and aren't as supervisory of their children as they should be because they have to work to financially provide for the family and this lack of supervising of children and teens is a reason for the rise in STDs IMO.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:24 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,250,429 times
blame the liberals for this then. They set the bar lower and lower each year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
STDs in L.A. County are skyrocketing. Officials think racism and stigma may be to blame

I guess the one of the directors at the public health department is blaming racism for STD's rates are skyrocketing in the county.

Seems like liberals are calling everything racist these days! I wonder what are going to come up with to call a racist next.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yes, black people have access to clinical trials. You would prefer that they didn't?
Experimented on and clinical trials aren't the same thing....

As I noted above, most of you are unaware of the history of the black population in particular with the medical community which is what causes the mistrust.

You also like to ignore the fact that bias exists against people based on their race/ethnicity, as I noted above and that bias is one of the reasons why black people are less likely to go to the doctor and medical professionals in the first place - they don't feel like the medical community cares about them or treats them like people and studies actually back up this feeling and mistrust.

But again, you all like to ignore this because you like to go on and on about your "racism" trigger.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:32 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
On this....

A majority of black children do not grow up "fatherless." OOW birth rates do not indicate that black children have no fathers. Also by age 40 over 70% of black women either are married or are divorced, meaning their children have not grown up in a single parent household.

Since the 1960s black Americans have risen in nearly every socio-economic factor. Contrary to what you and others believe, blacks in America are not dealing with 1980s era issues anymore today. Seems like you all have blinders on and like to pull up these articles honestly to ignore the issues in your own "white communities" in regards as well to increasing STDs, crime, and especially drug abuse/addiction (i.e. opiod epidemic) that is ocuring in white America. IMO you all should focus more on your own demons and communities.

Of course, every child born has a father. That biological fact doesn't negate the sheer numbers of 40+% of total live births being out of wedlock. Blacks lead in that percentage with a bit over 70% being OOW. Hispanics are around 53% and non-Hispanic Whites are at 29%.

Between Blacks and Hispanics are Native Americans at 65% and below Whites are Asians/Pacific Islanders at 17%.

Those numbers are five years old but likely haven't changed much

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...s-roger-clegg/

And no matter how you slice and dice the numbers, the reality in every demographic cohort is that children born to single mothers have a higher rate of negative outcomes in nearly every category from likelihood of childhood poverty to lower school achievement to increased delinquency to teen pregnancy.

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/a...ers-worse-off/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4508674/

Something anecdotal:
In my 30+ year teaching career I could almost always tell which kids grew up in a household with a father/stepfather/long term male influence. Those kids could pick up on the "dad" voice and look. Kids raised by just mom, or other female relatives, could not.

As a corollary, many boys raised in a female headed household, again whether it was mom/grandma/aunt, seemed to have more issues with women teachers. I suspect, going from my own experience growing up with a widowed mother, some of that was caused by just getting tired of listening to yet another woman nagging them about stuff.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Of course, every child born has a father. That biological fact doesn't negate the sheer numbers of 40+% of total live births being out of wedlock. Blacks lead in that percentage with a bit over 70% being OOW. Hispanics are around 53% and non-Hispanic Whites are at 29%.

Between Blacks and Hispanics are Native Americans at 65% and below Whites are Asians/Pacific Islanders at 17%.

Those numbers are five years old but likely haven't changed much

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...s-roger-clegg/
Again, since you don't seem to comprehend what I said - being born out of wedlock doesn't mean you are raised "fatherless." Over 70% of black women by age 40 have been married or divorced, a majority of them married to or divorced from the father of their child/children. Black children by and large are not raised without fathers and know their fathers. Anecdotal for you - my parents didn't get married until I was 22 years old! My dad was a part of my life from the beginning and I lived with or around the corner from him my entire childhood. I had a child when I was 23 out of wedlock, I married the father of that child, now my husband when I was 28 and we had another child while married at 29. Our younger child is not living a better life than the oldest child. My little cousin just got married - she is 27 years old and had 3 children out of wedlock!!! All 3 children have the same father and her husband is the father of all 3 children. I have a very close college friend who got married about 3 years ago, she already had a 2 year old child - she married the father her child and they now have another child...

Point is that you should not base the entire childhood parental/household status on OOW birth statistics as they do not follow that child for the rest of their lives. Most black children live with both parents or a step parent and if they don't live with both parents the vast majority know their father and he is a big part of their lives.

The rest of your post had nothing to do with what I stated above.

Also, note, you are doing what I said most of you would do in this thread. Get triggered by the word racism and then seek to disparage black Americans when the premise of the article is racial health disparities. Some liberal types consider it "racism" which is why the LA times has it in the title of their article.

I know you all get your panties all bunched up when you see "mainstream media" or "liberal" locales who publish things about that dirty word you don't like "racism/race/racist" etc.

It is both sad and funny.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:45 AM

1,874 posts, read 817,873 times
Keep up with this nonsense. You are a whisper away from "racist" having absolutely no meaning.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:07 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Again, since you don't seem to comprehend what I said - being born out of wedlock doesn't mean you are raised "fatherless." Over 70% of black women by age 40 have been married or divorced, a majority of them married to or divorced from the father of their child/children. Black children by and large are not raised without fathers and know their fathers. Anecdotal for you - my parents didn't get married until I was 22 years old! My dad was a part of my life from the beginning and I lived with or around the corner from him my entire childhood. I had a child when I was 23 out of wedlock, I married the father of that child, now my husband when I was 28 and we had another child while married at 29. Our younger child is not living a better life than the oldest child. My little cousin just got married - she is 27 years old and had 3 children out of wedlock!!! All 3 children have the same father and her husband is the father of all 3 children. I have a very close college friend who got married about 3 years ago, she already had a 2 year old child - she married the father her child and they now have another child...

Point is that you should not base the entire childhood parental/household status on OOW birth statistics as they do not follow that child for the rest of their lives. Most black children live with both parents or a step parent and if they don't live with both parents the vast majority know their father and he is a big part of their lives.

The rest of your post had nothing to do with what I stated above.

Also, note, you are doing what I said most of you would do in this thread. Get triggered by the word racism and then seek to disparage black Americans when the premise of the article is racial health disparities. Some liberal types consider it "racism" which is why the LA times has it in the title of their article.

I know you all get your panties all bunched up when you see "mainstream media" or "liberal" locales who publish things about that dirty word you don't like "racism/race/racist" etc.

It is both sad and funny.
You and I are talking at cross purposes. You are, without any data, claiming that all those OOW births don't matter because "dad" is around. And I will grant you that your cousin's example is one that is a good one, dad is and has been around. But the reality for most isn't exemplified by her but , rather, dad is either not present at all or so seldom seen that his impact is nil.

I don't know where to look for the numbers of OOW where the couple is a de facto permanent (or as near as possible) couple. But the reality, whether you like it or not, is that it's probably the exception rather than the rule.

I do believe you just called me a racist. Which is rich since I taught in a majority Black school system, with more than 20 of those years in majority Black schools. The one that wasn't was roughly 50/50 when I went there and was 92% Black when I retired. And never, not once, was I ever called that by anyone in all those years.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:10 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,476,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
It's Trump's racist, anti-immigrant policies. Immigrants do not feel safe going to the drugstore for condoms because Nazi Trump and his gestapo ICE are forcing pharmacists to ask for citizenship. Also, many immigrants are poor and cannot afford condoms, which is why LA should institute a new tax to fund a free condom program, with bilingual Spanish instructions. It's cruel and racist to deny them a healthy, prolific sex life just because of their immigration status.
Nazi?? gestapo??

that would be liberal(fascist) policies from obozo and company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies