Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 08:59 AM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Well, the UK did stand alone at first against Germany. If it wasn't for them Germany might have had a better chance against Russia, no? Russia sure paid heavily with lives though fighting the Germans (with supply help from the US).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/half-brit...89.html?bcmt=1
The common person on the street in the US and Britain know very very little about WW2 outside of the Nazis and Hitler were the bad guy. If you said Tora Tora Tora or asked them what a T32 was or Enigma and those aren't even obscure references...they'd have no idea.

It's like polling people about who the greatest soccer player of all time is and you get people in the survey that don't even follow the sport.

So really, who cares what a mass survey says?

P.S. This topic has been well covered in the History forum and there is no clear answer. Personally, in terms of manpower and loss of life it's the Russians that did the most but the US kept the allies fed and armed while dealing with the Japanese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 09:01 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Well, the UK did stand alone at first against Germany. If it wasn't for them Germany might have had a better chance against Russia, no? Russia sure paid heavily with lives though fighting the Germans (with supply help from the US).

America and England both played very important parts in the European theater in WWII…but Germany lost the war the day Hitler launched Barbarossa.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:01 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:

You know what I say?

Who cares?

The fact of the matter is each of the Allies contributed in some way to the fight against Germany during WWII. This is an extremely petty way to act and I doubt highly that the men and women who were actually involved in this campaign would view such an argument in a fond manner.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:04 AM

The Soviets decimated the German army. The Americans, the British, the French, and the Canadians did contribute a lot too. Millions of lives lost, including innocent German lives.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:09 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
England had a moat.
Indeed. Without it...

Old 05-11-2018, 09:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I haven't seen any survey on the subject, but it wouldn't be at all surprising if well over half of Americans aren't at all aware that Russia played the major role in defeating Germany.

Something like 70% of German casualties were on the Eastern Front.

And the Russians paid a horrible price for that; 25+ million deaths.

It was epic.

I'm sure it happened at the hands of British and American soldiers but Russia's image during WWII is less than stellar. The behavior of Russian soldiers towards German women at the end of the war was a war crime. There were thousands of women raped by Russian soldiers so forgive me if I don't hold the Soviet army in high regard.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm sure it happened at the hands of British and American soldiers but Russia's image during WWII is less than stellar. The behavior of Russian soldiers towards German women at the end of the war was a war crime. There were thousands of women raped by Russian soldiers so forgive me if I don't hold the Soviet army in high regard.
yep

Old 05-11-2018, 09:14 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
It was a huge blunder but I wouldn't say Russia was "impervious" to invasion with the advancements the Germans made on Russia's major cities.
Yep...during the summer of 1941. Then what happened?

Winter.

Blitzkrieging Poland is one thing, but the distance and sheer amount of land mass to cover during the first months of Operation Barbarossa exhausted German forces, and then Russia's anti-invasion ally shows up - winter. And now, instead of supply lines that are 100-200 miles long, they are 1,000-1,300 miles long and much, much wider given how much material and personnel you have committed to the much larger geography, and oh btw, did you equip your exhausted Wermacht and rear echelon for extended operations in our brutal winters? No? Yeah, bummer for you.

Wide open spaces, vast distances and at least 5-6 months of weather that is brutal to maintaining supply lines make Russia very invasion proof. You might push, and push hard at first, but you will be repelled. History is pretty clear on how geography, distance and weather always favor Russia where her own defense is concerned.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:21 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
My Father was part of the Omaha beach invasion force and survived after being shot multiple times and being captured. he mentioned the Russians were on a bit a rape rampage after they took Germans. He was also impressed with the capabilities of the Russian army.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:24 AM

16,092 posts, read 10,757,764 times
Looking only at Hitler, I think the Brits saved everyone's bacon for a while until the Allies got the upper hand. Churchill, speaking then of the RAF, said "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few" might be true for that period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies