Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 02:23 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

I've actually lived somewhat close to rural America. During middle school and high school, I lived in an area that was basically a transition zone. Suburbia ended and rural America begin in that county. Think of this. Subdivisions were being built all over the place, but there is still plenty of woods and cattle pasture left. The high school I graduated from has a cattle pasture next to it. I am still trying to understand certain aspects of it today. I have my theories as to certain quirks and aspects. And it's personal for me because of things I've seen in my life. However, I am still trying to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 04:09 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,750,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Our country needs to be split. The dems don't want to be run by the reps and the reps don't want to be run by the dems. The dems have no clue. When the dems gain power and try to confiscate the guns they will bring about a massive civil war.
What we need are the D's to find the nearest airport and fly to whatever country they worship. After all, they threatened to leave the country if Trump won the election.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:55 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
What we need are the D's to find the nearest airport and fly to whatever country they worship. After all, they threatened to leave the country if Trump won the election.
I actually know someone who did that, and while I understand his reasons, ultimately that path is not for me. You are no more American than anyone else, and you don't get to decide that I don't belong because we are on different sides of the aisle. You're stuck with me, just as I'm stuck with you. See you at the polls.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:59 PM

10,491 posts, read 4,051,560 times
Quote:
Probably couldn't get citizenship in those other countries. Unlike here, other countries expect you to work for all of your freebees. No free handouts to no one. So, if you can't bring a valuable skill with you, then stay away.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:03 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,247,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
While you may have read the book, from this paragraph it sure sounds like you completely missed the point.

And you misspelled Cincinnati ...
Sorry about the misspelling... I'm usually on my phone on this site.

What was the point then? Maybe you can explain it to me.

I didn't come away with anything significant out of the book and actually thought the author was hypocritical to a degree.

He made because his grandmother didn't let him fall into the bad habits of his peers and especially his mother. She poured a lot of personal support into him. A lot of the book seemed to express resentment towards the mother truthfully. Then he joined the Marine Corps where he didn't do anything special from what I could tell... I thought it was weird he wrote so little about his military experience. Then he went to Ohio State and Yale law all on the GI Bill. He doesn't spend much time acknowledging the investment the government made in him.

I came away feeling that he had the same unhelpful, condescending attitude towards his people as the country club Republicans he has become a part of.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:21 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
I know a handful that did. They have a lot of money and moved/are moving their businesses. They do not thing the U.S. will do well under Trump. Even Europe is starting to pull away from our long standing relationship.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:29 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdude2013 View Post
Yea... urbanization has been a trend since the Industrial Revolution. Some folks don’t want to change but also want entitlements. It’s tough.
We are making the same economic mistakes we make on the run up to every recession.

Think Wall Street will demand entitlements again?

Old 05-22-2018, 03:35 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...-them-n2481027

Seems like Democrats intend to win by bashing rural America.

I wonder how their rural bashing strategy is going to do in November. Especially the large rural populations in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan and other former swing states.

I wonder why a senator who represents this and was mayor of this.
Imo, hillbilly basically is "country". Lots of black folks out there are country.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:11 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Imo, hillbilly basically is "country". Lots of black folks out there are country.
We can start with Mississippi and Alabama. Alot of Blacks in the rural areas of those states. In Georgia where I live, there are many majority-Black counties in southern Georgia that are rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies