Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 09:17 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Hannity is grasping at straws. He doesn't even believe what he's saying. Even if it were possible for schools to track their students' social media, the kids would just go underground. His "plan" doesn't accomplish anything other than perpetuating a police state.
It's being done now.
https://gizmodo.com/schools-are-usin...for-1824002976

My former school system, several years ago, had a Senior Assistant to the Associate Superintendent for Academics whose only job was to go on YouTube every evening to see if students had posted videos about any of the schools in the system. He got $120K/year for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 09:23 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's being done now.
https://gizmodo.com/schools-are-usin...for-1824002976

My former school system, several years ago, had a Senior Assistant to the Associate Superintendent for Academics whose only job was to go on YouTube every evening to see if students had posted videos about any of the schools in the system. He got $120K/year for that.
It's futile, though, for the purpose Hannity is promoting. Your school district was managing its reputation, but kids who have something to hide will always be one step ahead of those who will try to monitor them.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-21-2018 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: missed a small word

Old 05-21-2018, 09:25 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's futile, though, for the purpose Hannity is promoting. Your school district was managing its reputation, but kids who have something to hide will always one step ahead of those who will try to monitor them.
Maybe some, but kids are almost as dumb as the teachers who put stupid **** on Face Book that gets them into trouble.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Maybe some, but kids are almost as dumb as the teachers who put stupid **** on Face Book that gets them into trouble.
You definitely have a point there!

Old 05-21-2018, 09:28 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
How about the Government Intrusion of the Law Abiding with yet more, and more unconstitutional laws, and restrictions on guns? How about that intrusion?

How about the Government Intrusion of more, and more Taxes, and Fees on everything imaginable?

PARENTS should be monitoring their kids, not the School Districts (government). The lack or responsible parental involvement is part of the reason these kids go off the rails.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:45 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Hannity needs to shut the F up! What we need a child psychiatrist in every school that can deal with troubled kids before they get to a point where they want to hurt themselves and/or others. She/he could even do after school workshops for kids on how to deal with issues them face in their lives.

Sounds great in theory. Doesn't always work like that though. When our daughter was in HS she was in contact with a kid so very similar to Cruz. We were monitoring their texts and the kid made a comment about how things are going to change, just see what happens tomorrow in school. Now he had a history of being angry , fighting , was off and on meds for schizophrenia and bi polar disorder. So we contacted the school which was aware of some other issues with him and our daughter. So they brought him and his guardian (aunt) in and talked with him, the school counselor had a one on one and the kid basically told them everything they wanted to hear. In the end we were made to feel like the bad ones for making such a huge deal of it.

So yeah, sounds like a great plan but I don't think it would work the way you think it will.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:06 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
that is all well and good, but what happens when these troubled children dont want to go to the school psychiatrist? what then, make them go? you might push them further down the path of becoming a school shooter.
You're worried about pissing the kid off that way, but you don't think monitoring their social media will **** them off too?

Except in that case, they'll learn to be much more careful concealing the red flags they'd normally be less cautious about throwing off.

Mandatory personal surveillance won't make it less likely for them to do the shooting, it would most likely make them more careful to not get caught beforehand. That's the last thing we want.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:09 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...media-postings

It's amazing how with conservatives, the answer for everything is more government intrusion into people's private lives. Why don't conservatives hold the First Amendment as sacred as they do the Second? They want to police every aspect of everybody's lives. But God forbid we actually have a debate about the one thing that actually is the problem.
I would call for parents to give a damn and monitor their own brat's social media. In fact, I would call for parents to have a brain and forbid social media. Let their kids interact in the real world.

And what, pray tell, is the "one thing that is actually the problem"? Tell us the one thing that will magically cure all social ills? Please enlighten us.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:10 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Ummm. linked with no comment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3ee1d85f15b0

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/sc...ns-free-speech

https://www.today.com/parents/school...ccounts-t42221

Spying on students? Education publisher Pearson monitoring social media activity | Fox News

Yeah, I know the last is Fox News. That doesn't change the fact that Pearson is monitoring social media for negative comments about its tests.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1d0e460fbd4d

Will make some of you happier.
I manage social media for a major university. You better believe that *every* brand is using social listening tools to see what is being said about them on social media. Heck, anyone can get a free Hootsuite account, create a stream tracking a keyword or boolean search phrase, and you're "monitoring." Doing this for the university really helps me identify broken outlets in the library or issues with dining services rather than potential PR flareups.

Well-meaning senior administrators often ask about monitoring students. Not only do I not feel comfortable doing so morally, but it would also be a huge drain on resources (i.e. we would need both specialized computer programs *and* to more than triple our staff) - and this is for a fairly small university. It takes a lot more work to monitor students who are not specifically mentioning the institution. Not to mention that we are all limited by privacy settings - my guess is most threatening and concerning posts are either behind private accounts or on peer-to-peer messaging services.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I would call for parents to give a damn and monitor their own brat's social media. In fact, I would call for paretns to have a brain and forbid social media. Let their kids interact in the real world.
Can't stuff the genie back in the bottle. Social media are here to stay. You're on a form of social media right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies