Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 08:47 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The problem I have is Obama freed 5 Islamic terrorists to make that happen. Why not just one for one, or three for nothing like Trump?

Why was Obama such a weak leader?
Sorry, but your emotional hand wringing does not change the American policy of not leaving any American behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 08:49 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Sorry, but your emotional hand wringing does not change the American policy of not leaving any American behind.
It's not emotional; it's math. FYI, 0<5.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:50 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Quote:
Why don't you address the actual point he made instead of deflecting?

Why did Obama have to agree to giving 5 terrorists for one American?

Please explain that to us.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:55 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's not emotional; it's math. FYI, 0<5.

Here's the bottom line regardless of your insatiable need to bash Obama and still support Cadet Bone Spurs...
Quote:
But the military's response, from President Obama and Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel on down and regardless of whether Bergdahl abandoned his duties, has been simple: America does not leave its soldiers behind.

According to U.S. Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel, the American military decided to swap Taliban prisoners for Bergdahl in part because a video of Bergdahl from January, 2014 showed him to be deteriorating mentally and physically.

https://mashable.com/2014/06/14/bowe.../#ObY8QJC.1Gq4

Old 05-25-2018, 08:57 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
I think that Trump made a mistake by cancelling the summit, but I think that it will still take place.

Kim seems like he really needs to get this done. I feel like the tunnel collapse a few months ago might have done more damage than we know, or the financial strain they're under is getting to be too much.

I think that if Trump gets the meeting back, and doesn't do anything to mess things up, he's going to walk away with a massive victory.

He'll have done nothing to make it happen, but he's President at the right time, and he'd get the credit.

I don't know what he was thinking yesterday. Did Bolton talk him out of it, or was he scared that Kim would cancel, so he did it first?
As they have in the past, I think Moon and Kim will keep working at this.

The financial strain from the sanctions and the the collapsing test site is bound to be on Kim's mind.

Even with strict media controls, I suspect North Koreans realize that South Koreans are leading much easier lives than they are, and Xi doesn't want a nuclear disaster on their border.

Kim is no dummy. Ukraine headed it's nuclear capabilities to Russia in exchange for peace and look where that got them. Libya?

Not sure where this will end up, but I doubt it will end up and denuclearization. I also doubt Trump will be a significant factor.

More like a distraction as the real work is done behind the scenes.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:00 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Why don't you address the actual point he made instead of deflecting?

Why did Obama have to agree to giving 5 terrorists for one American?

Please explain that to us.
Because that's what it cost.

I'm surprised you haven't figure this out.

We don't leave Americans behind if we can help it. We traded five terrorists. Plenty more where they came from.

Osama also got Bin Ladin.

Also got ten Americans back from North Korea.

All comes out in the wash.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:03 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Because that's what it cost.

I'm surprised you haven't figure this out.

We don't leave Americans behind if we can help it. We traded five terrorists. Plenty more where they came from.

Osama also got Bin Ladin.

Also got ten Americans back from North Korea.

All comes out in the wash.
BS. It costs what we say it costs... we had the upper hand in that deal. It was idiotic to give away 5 terrorists in exchange for 1 American.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Here's the bottom line regardless of your insatiable need to bash Obama and still support Cadet Bone Spurs...
Insatiable need to bash Obama? It's a straightforward comparison. Trump got 3 American prisoners released from NK while giving up nothing. Obama had to trade 5 Islamic terrorists for deserter Bowe Bergdahl.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:06 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
This whole thing sounds like a staring contest, and Trump blinked.

MAGA y'all.
Hardly. Kim thought it would be a rinse and repeat of the past decades. They bluster, they indicate a willingness to compromise, we ease sanctions in anticipation of them doing that, they disappear from the negotiating table, and continue to bluster.

Trump stopped that in its tracks. He offers rewards, not bribes.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
BS. It costs what we say it costs... we had the upper hand in that deal. It was idiotic to give away 5 terrorists in exchange for 1 American.
Agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies