Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 01:28 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Those would be the "bad homeless" the OP speaks of. They aren't human in his eyes, so it's perfectly fine to leave them to starve in the gutter. The OP has judged them unworthy of humane consideration.

Behold the era of Donald Trump. Compassion is no longer needed, welcomed or deemed a desirable attribute of humanity.

We are regressing at an alarming rate here in the U.S.
Oh BS. You are attempting to marginalize half the voters in the country.

We have a topic lacking compassion which makes no mention of Trump.

You feel Trump has no compassion but he has never proposed anything similar to this topic.

You imply that Trump and anyone supporting him are now the origination of a trend of no compassion.

How about your argument is just baseless stupidity. 8 years of your useless do nothing hope and change President got us here. Not Trump.
(actually Clinton is most responsible but thats another topic)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 01:35 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Really, that isn't the problem in my opinion. When polls consistently show public support of legalization is nearing 70% yet it only barely moves the government's needle, something's wrong. It isn't right wingers, it is government corruption.

Don't attack alcohol. Attack our lawmakers at the voting booth. That is really the only way to get this issue off high center.

But I have to admit, the bias, corruption, and reefer madness is definitely still alive and well, regardless of public opinion. In the following article, notice this lawmaker isn't referring to recreational marijuana, he is rallying against medical marijuana. His belief that there are no medical benefits shows just how potent (and blinding) big money is. He is not the same legislator that he was when first voted in office. Politics corrupts everyone who stays in it long enough.

Sen. Lankford urging Oklahomans to vote against medical marijuana measure | KFOR.com

In order to help counterbalance the overwhelming public opinion, he appealed to the strong religious faction living in Oklahoma:

It's hard to believe that Colorado and Oklahoma actually share a border. In other words, there are borders in this country where one could grow or smoke a plant without draconian repercussions, then take 1 step forward only to get arrested for a felony for doing the very same thing.
I think the Christian Right's attitude in Oklahoma toward poor people helps explain why Democrats totally lost domination to Republicans. Among other reasons, many Christians resented Democrats for standing for government welfare, like food stamps, and more of it. After all, to Christians the bible says if you don't work, you don't eat.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:54 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You are right Jambo. We'd fallen a long way in my lifetime, every year that goes by we lose more and more of the American spirit that we once shared. We have become a shallow self centered nation of spoiled children. Don't kid yourself - we have become so weakened that a good strong wind will blow this house off it's foundation. Do you really think we could fight another war like we did in WWII when we have become a nation totally consumed with serving our own selfish needs?

Used to work for a Japanese company, and one of the things I remember they would say as the greatest insult: "You are nothing more than your own convenience". Applies to Americans these days that is for sure.
As American society (and most industrialized countries for that matter) exist today that is the way things have become and the subject of this thread is evidence of just that.
If you are homeless its partly because you werent looking out for your own interests enough. You arent going to get off the streets by being compassionate to others.
In my city, san diego, you have to earn 4x the minimum wage to be in the income bracket to be able to afford a small apartment in the seedy part of town.
And rental vacancies are so scarce just having the funds isnt enough.
And at least in this area, compassion has created most of the problem.. People feeling sorry for the human wave of illegal aliens pouring over the border, now Americans compete with them for low cost housing and social services. With the "Mexicanization" of southern california, whole neighborhoods now spanish speaking and a taco shop or store selling pinatas and those cheap mexican candy and toys on every corner, affordable housing vanished.
The way I see it, the powers that be engineered it this way to try and keep the riff raff out.
Dont actually build affordable housing and the poor, the illegals, the drug addicts, will have to go somewhere else.
Thats the theme of this thread. Does he really think if you denied basic services to drug addicts that they would disappear? Of course they wouldnt but somehow he thinks he wouldnt have to look at them any more.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:01 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
What's truly sad is the the OP starts the thread talking about "sinning," but can't understand that the greatest sin one can commit is to turn their backs on their fellow men. What is that Bible passage again? Oh, yeah, "And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love; but the greatest of these is love.”

These fake Christians, like the OP, make me sick. Christ would be appalled that they are using his name to further their hate. They are the exact opposite of everything Christ preached.

Notice how the OP has not posted in response to other posters. He started this thread and bailed although I am certain he is reading the responses.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I dunno, I've had just about enough of this kind of stuff on C-D. Seriously, I understand the concept of P&OC, but, damn, some of the nonsense that has been posted here of late has made me shake my head so often I swear I'm getting whiplash.

This thread is just the tip of a very sad iceberg.
I could suggest a quick fix for your problem..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies