Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 10:46 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
You can't travel internationally with that amount of cash without reporting it to Customs PRIOR to traveling and have proper documentation from Customs, it will be seized until they find out why you didn't do that which this guy didn't. It's been like that for a very long time. The article is completely wrong about how they are portraying it. You don't have to have committed a crime for them to take it when you are traveling with that much cash without reporting it if TSA deems they need to call law enforcement because of your answers to any questions or actions/behaviors. If it's legit, he will get it back.
http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...-without-cause

Albanian Immigrant flying out if the USA with hidden, undeclared cash in excess of the legal $10,000.
No job, no evidence of how he got the $60,000, just a long series of ATM withdrawals under the Bank Law limits that must be reported.

This sort of thing is exactly why we have the Asset Forfeiture Law. When I travel internationally I’m always asked about carrying Cash.

Is this the “Outrage of the Day”? Trump is stealing cash from immigrants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 10:50 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
On here they don't buy it. But people here are more aware of the issues than the average American. I think most people are not really aware that this sort of thing goes to the extent that it does and assume it does not personally effect them so who cares.
Even those "more aware" won't do what is needed to stop it because they are too afraid to buck their party.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:56 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It doesnt matter who is in office at any given time when it comes to this topic, Law enforcement seems to get what they want, despite who is in office, Some of the toughest drug laws came when Obama was in office, so..??

So, if the majority of american citizens are totally against law enforcement doing this...why in the world are we continually allowing them to do it?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Constitution DOES give us the right to put a stop to it (even by force if necessary)

We are so apathetic that it's frightening. I think if the Feds started going into homes arresting people who had more money in the bank than they thought they should have given their salary, the rest of the nation would sit by idly and watch, thinking, 'Oh well, it's not me....'

Or we'd sit online and gripe about it like we're doing here.

We've lost a lot of civil liberties since 9/11. Most people don't even try educating themselves about that, let alone doing something about it.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:59 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
On here they don't buy it. But people here are more aware of the issues than the average American. I think most people are not really aware that this sort of thing goes to the extent that it does and assume it does not personally effect them so who cares.

I know personally of a small business owner driving from California to New York. No criminal record or anything got pulled over in Kansas and had their vehicle seized for having marijuana in the vehicle. They also took the cash they had on them, a couple thousand dollars. Law enforcment should not have that sort of discretion.
About 20 years ago the cops in a tiny east Texas town were taking orders for cars. They'd go out to the interstate and stop the vehicle they had a sales contract for. Use their throw down dope and take the cars. The scam lasted some years.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:59 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
We are so apathetic that it's frightening. I think if the Feds started going into homes arresting people who had more money in the bank than they thought they should have given their salary, the rest of the nation would sit by idly and watch, thinking, 'Oh well, it's not me....'

We've lost a lot of civil liberties since 9/11. Most people don't even try educating themselves about that, let alone doing something about it.
I've never been more sad reading something that I was in complete agreement with.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:04 AM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Immigrant sues after border patrol seizes life savings | TheHill

Albanian Immigrant flying out if the USA with hidden, undeclared cash in excess of the legal $10,000.
No job, no evidence of how he got the $60,000, just a long series of ATM withdrawals under the Bank Law limits that must be reported.

This sort of thing is exactly why we have the Asset Forfeiture Law. When I travel internationally I’m always asked about carrying Cash.

Is this the “Outrage of the Day”? Trump is stealing cash from immigrants?
American citizen. Not some foreign national.

He was boarding a domestic flight when questioned. He did not have to declare anything at that poiont. And his money was clearly in the carry on with the amounts written on envelopes. He does not have to "report" his ATM withdrawls. The bank can file a SAR if so they choose. They are routine and banks file a million of these each year.

Again what about innocent until proven guilty instead assumed guilt unless you prove otherwise? Even if you want to go down the road of saying the feds did everything correct in taking his money they are required by law to either charge him or return the money within 90 days which they did not do. So the feds violated the law. But that is ok because he is just some Albanian immigrant as you call him.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:19 AM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

And even on CD the Politics forum is just a slice of what people are interested in. You have people preoccupied with why they don't have any friends or if their boss is going to fire them and on and one in any number of topics in other forums that directly effect their lives. I am afraid most don't care about this.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:53 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,289,513 times
The Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution provides:
No person shall ... be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law ...[SIZE=2][6][/SIZE]
Section One of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution provides:
[N]or shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law ...[SIZE=2][7][/SIZE]

Old 06-07-2018, 12:00 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If Uncle Sam wants something of yours he will take it. In this case its Trumps Red Coats stealing the life savings of an individual with no proof whatsoever of any wrongdoing.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.729326464c87

It is being widely abused and it is clearly targeting low income and minorities .

feel bad for the guy and getting his money back is very likely to cost him a lot of it.

My tip for travelling with cash is tell the dude who is checking your tickets BEFORE you get to the first security scanners. Travelling dollars is a real thing, people do it all the time, but you always provide a full paper trail. and you always tell them before they can ask.

Again i feel bad for the guy, but you can't bring 58K in your carry on and tell them, they are actively looking for cash and drug mules.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:09 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:

I know personally of a small business owner driving from California to New York. No criminal record or anything got pulled over in Kansas and had their vehicle seized for having marijuana in the vehicle. They also took the cash they had on them, a couple thousand dollars. Law enforcment should not have that sort of discretion.

I definitely agree with that 100%

In this case, law enforcement should have been treated like any other common bandit, and the guy should have his right to defend himself and his money against thieves.

Law enforcement has way too much authority than they deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies