Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 12:56 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Can I smoke in a daycare? It's "my body, my choice", right?

Then their response would be, "but your forcing my baby to be exposed to something that could kill them".

That's what an ABORTION is!
Except one is by choice, the other isn't. Argument fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 01:48 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Most pro-choice people I encounter are also in favor of legalizing prostitution and weed.
I don’t find that to be true.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:25 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Having your autonomy taken is punishment.
Getting killed because someone else decides you should die is punishment.

Kinda the ultimate punishment, wouldn't you agree?

Old 06-08-2018, 03:52 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
One place where.

I am pro choice but, I find the leftist rhetoric offensive because they prop up a straw man argument. . The reason why conservatives think women should not have the right to abort is not because they want to oppress women. Its because they think that unborn has the same rights. I disagree with conservatives because I think they arbitrarily consider a zygote the same as a human. So I am pro choice on that basis.

Women also have an unrecognized legal privilege , but left that only sees their burden. Women have the option to terminate. Men have no such option. They cannot force termination, nor can they force coming to term. They are on the hook for paternity and seem to have no say on adoption either. So its a pretty messy moral atmosphere. At the very least it should be understood that women do benefit from these advantages. The facts listed above is hardily indicative of an oppressive patriarchy.
Let's not forget the advantages men enjoy because they can have a child without having to carry the pregnancy themselves.

They do not have to spend time and money on innumerable doctor visits or worry about taking time off work to go to them.

They do not have to worry about loss of income or job loss due to having to give birth or being put on bed rest.

They do not have to worry about some kind of catastrophic medical issue, say, suffering a stroke during childbirth, forever hindering their ability to support themselves.

When all is said and done, I would prefer having the advantages men enjoy.

BTW, since when do men have no say in adoption? Is there somewhere in the US where a woman can put a child up for adoption without the father's consent?

Old 06-08-2018, 03:59 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

BTW, since when do men have no say in adoption? Is there somewhere in the US where a woman can put a child up for adoption without the father's consent?
To be fair, it does happen. A relative of mine did this. Teenager with a boyfriend. She got pregnant. Sometime early in the pregnancy their relationship ended. I don't even think he knew she was pregnant. She had the baby, listed father as unknown on the birth certificate, and gave the child up for adoption.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:51 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Just because a woman uses birth control, it doesn't mean she won't get pregnant. My youngest son was born 11 years after my wife had her tubes tied.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:05 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Getting killed because someone else decides you should die is punishment.

Kinda the ultimate punishment, wouldn't you agree?
So, let’s suppose that the particular fetus in question was never conceived. Is that just as heinous? It is potential life. Is never being conceived any different than being aborted? Maybe we should start requiring all ovums to be fertilized and all sperm to be spilled only for conception.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:40 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So, let’s suppose that the particular fetus in question was never conceived. Is that just as heinous? It is potential life. Is never being conceived any different than being aborted? Maybe we should start requiring all ovums to be fertilized and all sperm to be spilled only for conception.
Some churches teach that sex is only for procreation.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:05 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Let's see, here are some points...

1. Abortion is often a personal medical issue.

2. Abortion is also a gender issue.

3. A single decision about drugs or prostitution covers a short, limited period; a decision about an abortion covers a lengthy period, anywhere between 9 months and 18 years.

4. A single decision about drugs or prostitution is a brief individual indulgence; a decision about an abortion requires - one hopes - professional skills.

5. A lot of recreational drugs are already legal - beer, cigarettes, coffee, etc.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:51 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Just because a woman uses birth control, it doesn't mean she won't get pregnant. My youngest son was born 11 years after my wife had her tubes tied.
Yes, I have two children because of birth control that failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies