Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 11:27 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
So scholars in China believe that the "crisis of masculinity" will do harm to national security, among other issues.

----------
A new school textbook that aims to teach boys how to be "masculine" men has been released. Called "Little Men," the book covers the differences between boys and girls, the importance of the father-son relationship as well as the importance of interacting with nature and managing money.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/china/c...e-boys-n703461
Now this is true communism. Remember, communism and other regimes such as facism and nazis promoted male patriarchy to the fullest extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 11:29 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
In 1890s there was still imperial China.
... with a 3000-year tradition of higher education, but never for girls.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:29 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
No they aren't, that's just a stereotype the left likes to throw out, because it's easier to place all of their enemies under one banner. Conservative = Christian = Enemy! Well, sorry to break it to you, but politically I tend to lean more conservative, but I am not a Christian. I believe there are certain merits to be found within Christianity, but I do not believe that the only way I won't burn in a fiery hell is by saying Jesus Christ is my savior. Conservative does not equal Christian. There are Christian conservatives, and there are non-Christian conservatives. Oh, and guess what, there are Christian liberals too!!! Do the left hate on those among them who believe in Jesus Christ? I have often wondered if leftist Christians have to hide their personal beliefs for fear of being ostracized by their fellow liberals. Perhaps the left should try not attacking Christians for a while, and find a new boogeyman.
No. I don't hide my faith from my fellow liberals, or my political beliefs from my fellow Christians.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Now this is true communism. Remember, communism and other regimes such as facism and nazis promoted male patriarchy to the fullest extent.
On the contrary, the Chicoms promoted gender equality, and now they're afraid they've gone too far with it and have produced a generation of girly-men.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:35 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Actually... Females in communist countries were generally offered considerably better options than those in fascist ones. The Mussolinis and Francos of this world certainly liked their women in their traditional roles. Whereas women in the Soviet Union could and in fact did build careers in academia, engineering etc.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:40 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
There aren't many successful modern countries that push for machismo.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
There aren't many successful modern countries that push for machismo.
There are some that need to.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:51 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
So scholars in China believe that the "crisis of masculinity" will do harm to national security, among other issues.

----------
A new school textbook that aims to teach boys how to be "masculine" men has been released. Called "Little Men," the book covers the differences between boys and girls, the importance of the father-son relationship as well as the importance of interacting with nature and managing money.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/china/c...e-boys-n703461
Effeminate men aren't China's problem; lack of young women is what's causing the crisis.

For far too long, the Chinese policy of one child per family produced a huge surplus of men, all of a given generation, in China's vast rural regions.
Chinese tradition in the country side favors male children over female children. The boys traditionally grew up, stayed on the farm, replaced Dad when Dad became too old to work the land, and the eldest son took over the family household, where he took care of his parents while raising a family of his own in the house.

But when only one child was permitted, the girls who were born instead of boys were faced with the same responsibilities. So the girls chose to move to the big city, where wealthier boys could be found. If a child must care for the parents, the wealth makes a huge difference for all.

So the boys stayed on the farm, became unwilling bachelors, and old Mother had to care for them and for Dad.

China changed to policy, but the change came too late for a full generation of men. More recently, China lifted all restrictions on how many children per family are permitted in the rural areas than need young women the most, but the girls still move to the cities, where the jobs are physically easier and the selection of young marriageable men is still better.

It's a real crisis; China has to feed it's growing population, and it's running out of farmers.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:51 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
... with a 3000-year tradition of higher education, but never for girls.
Women were not allowed to be government officials, so the vast majority of schools did not admit any female student.

That said, some women studied at home. There were female writers in every dynasty. Rich families usually educated their daughters to some extent.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:56 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
There are some that need to.
They could, but if men in those societies start focusing on asserting their dominance everywhere and putting females in their place (traditional values), that comes at an opportunity cost of both genders just focusing on advancing their society (technologically, economically, standards of living, etc).

Compare countries with high levels of machismo: such as those in Latin America, much of Africa, most of the Middle East, South Asia, Eastern Europe, the Caribbean

...with countries with less pronounced gender roles: such as those in Western/Northern Europe, the US, Canada, urban East Asia, Singapore, Australia, NZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies