Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 09:13 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,402,982 times

Advertisements

dr. peterson didn't say what the OP asserted in the title of this thread. He didn't say once in the referenced clip that "the breakdown of marriage ruined women's lives." perhaps listen to the entire short clip and see what you think of what dr. peterson actually said.

by the way, this isn't just some person espousing his personal beliefs. this prolifically published educator is a clinical psychologist and professor of psychology at the University of Toronto. His main areas of study are in abnormal, social, and personality psychology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 09:13 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,813,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
and he taught me something that I had never thought about before - how once you have enough money to stave off the wolves, extra money becomes unimportant.
Because I have listened to his lectures I have heard much of what he said before, but this stood out to me in this video. I have always felt that more money did not make my husband and I happier. We are happiest when we are together. Until two years ago we worked schedules that allowed us to have only 3 days off a month together. It was a drain on our relationship so I finally retired from my second career which cut our income by a third. Best decision ever. Now my former job has offered a part time position to me that I can make my own schedule around my husband's.

Often more money is just that, but what do you lose to get it? Money isn't everything.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:21 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,885,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Because I have listened to his lectures I have heard much of what he said before, but this stood out to me in this video. I have always felt that more money did not make my husband and I happier. We are happiest when we are together. Until two years ago we worked schedules that allowed us to have only 3 days off a month together. It was a drain on our relationship so I finally retired from my second career which cut our income by a third. Best decision ever. Now my former job has offered a part time position to me that I can make my own schedule around my husband's.

Often more money is just that, but what do you lose to get it?
It's not about you. It's about the fact that one of the main reasons couples break up is over money concerns. You've never heard that? lol

Old 06-11-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
dr. peterson didn't say what the OP asserted in the title of this thread. He didn't say once in the referenced clip that "the breakdown of marriage ruined women's lives." perhaps listen to the entire short clip and see what you think of what dr. peterson actually said.

by the way, this isn't just some person espousing his personal beliefs. this prolifically published educator is a clinical psychologist and professor of psychology at the University of Toronto. His main areas of study are in abnormal, social, and personality psychology.
You've ruined it for the Vapid Response Team. How in the world do you expect people to learn if they can't judge an entire speech by the improper way someone titles that speech?

Old 06-11-2018, 09:24 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,813,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's not about you. It's about the fact that one of the main reasons couples break up is over money concerns. You've never heard that? lol
What does this have to do with the quote I was responding to? Are you being facetious?

Old 06-11-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
What does this have to do with the quote I was responding to? Are you being facetious?
I specifically addressed your quote.

Again, it's not about you.

Again of course it's about money, which is what YOU brought up in your post in response to what Peterson said since that is usually the top reason couples break up. How in the world did you NOT understand any of that?????????

Granted I'm repeating myself but it is impossible to explain it in any simplier terms or in any other way.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:32 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,716,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
He seems to be mourning the demise of the 1950s. He seems to me to be so far right that he is in danger of falling off the edge.

Men represent order; women represent chaos. “Consciousness is symbolically masculine...resistance to male dominance is unnatural.” 12 Rules For Life: An Antidote To Chaos—Jordan Peterson, referenced in an article by Pankaj Mishra in NYR Daily.

No thanks.

I had a tough time watching that video. That is one twitchy, hyper guy!
Holy quote mining batman.
Let me try doing the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
I [am]... one twitchy, hyper guy!

Old 06-11-2018, 09:33 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,839,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Most people know who he is but you seem to have a wall up already about him so go on and let others who want to listen do so.

I have to admit I agree with his opinion that science is the truth and Christianity is not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGaEcAeTiP0

Old 06-11-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I have to admit I agree with his opinion that science is the truth and Christianity is not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGaEcAeTiP0
He doesn't specifically say that. What he did say is science wasn't around until 500 years ago. That science truth tells you what things are. Religious truth tells you how you should act. That is what he said. Context matters.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:52 AM

36,575 posts, read 30,900,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
- Marriage is for the rich.
- Women have sucky jobs.
- Early 1950s and 60s.
- Women leave law firms at 30 for the desire to have a life.

These are ridiculous statements just in the first five minutes of the video. Then the rest is just a rant. I think my cynicism about this guy was justified after watching the video. BirdieBelle’s link intensified my case as well.
I agree. That's as far as I got.
Marriage rates have dropped for both rich and poor. At least one study sited reasons for lower rates of marriage among lower income as decreased pool of men with steady well paying jobs, increased incarceration rates for men, decreasing wage gap between men and women, government benefits and more living together instead of marrying.
Sucky jobs. Generally lower income people have suckier jobs.
Happiness polls are bogus.
So female attorneys in their 30's choose to not work 80hrs. a week because their husbands are making 350K/year.

What has any of this to do with decrease in marriages have ruined women's lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies