Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2018, 11:22 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,410,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post

The most valuable resource in the world is water and the USA relies on Canada for that resource.
I never heard of this. Care to elaborate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 11:23 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
It feels pretty spot on to me.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:50 AM

89,053 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugehands View Post
Good one.... Oh, you weren't joking? Well then, go read "The Big Short", or if you don't have the attention span for a book, rent the movie.

Report back when you are done.
Isn't it quite odd, then, that the Federal Reserve bought $2 trillion worth of Fannie and Freddie MBS but none of the other mortgage products mentioned in the movie?

Old 06-17-2018, 05:57 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
There's no Law of Economics that says Americans have to be paid more than workers in the rest of the World.

You've been overpaid for decades, and now the playing field is leveling out.
There seems to be this destructive law that states that those who dont even work must get an ever increasing rise to their wealth even though they don't actually contribute anything.

Wall Street is probably the most destructive element in the world.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
What baffles me in all of this, is why has America recovered better than most of the remainder of the industrialized world. Look for example at the American stock market, vs. nearly any other developed nation's stock market. The Great Recession started right here. The most egregious abuses we're right here. And yet, the recovery was also the strongest... right here. Why?
It's only because we can print whatever wealth we want. That is not going to last forever because we abuse it.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Looking down on immigrants because they work harder for less money. Sounds strangely the same as union guys bitching about scabs.
It is NOT necessarily less money.

$8.00 an hour for an illegal.

$12.00 an hour for a citizen but then take out taxes, S.S. etc.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:07 AM

89,053 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
How will the rising interest rate, combined with static income and rising costs of living, factor into the potential for a recession?
I see it going 2 ways, simultaneously. We'll have a household debt crisis as many people charge more and more on their credit cards, and many people will HAVE to cut back on their standard of living when they hit that credit wall and no bank/lender will extend them more.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:10 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
I'm just happy that California is now letting me know when there might be an ICE raid. If I had to pay my illegal employees a decent wage, contribute to a 401k, unemployment insurance, follow safety regulations, etc, I would be in real trouble and would not be able to take nearly as many trips, have as many cars, etc. Thank God I live in California.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:24 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,076,143 times
Unemployment is low but its largely service based and online low skilled entry level jobs with a fairly high turnover rate. Kids these days aren't learning trades or skills and steady illegal immigration is competition for these jobs and drives down wages. So you can't blame Trump or give him credit for that any more than you could Obama. You want to blame someone, go after Clinton and Al Gore, they facilitated a big manufacturing exodus to China.
The stock market is booming since profits rise from lower costs. But that is helped by the machinations of the Fed to keep interest rates low and money being lent with the government agreeing to take the loss when and if it occurs. Trump's again not to blame or to be given credit for any of that. If anything, give him some credit for trying to fix the trade imbalances of the last three decades. And give him credit for trying to stop the damage unchecked illegal immigration has done to our economy, past present and future. Millenials have a better friend in Trump than they ever did with Obama or Hillary. maybe someday they'll realize that, we can only hope.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:59 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This isn't a '90s economy. This is an '06 economy. It also doesn't feel like a 3% GDP economy. It feels more like 1-2%. I would say this economy is not bad per say but it's not as rosy as some would have you believe. I also think recession is coming sooner than people want to admit as well.

What are your thoughts on the current economy?
It still looks strong on the surface. But I'm concerned that it's becoming fragile, brittle, susceptible to cracking a bit.

Hope I'm wrong. I have lots of family members who depend very much on the economy remaining good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies