Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 09:30 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I was a Nancy Drew fan as a little girl. Hope she isn't next on the list of unacceptable literature for children. I'm sure there is much in these books to offend progressives. Nancy was a white, blonde girl and I remember black servants in the books.
Nancy Drew has been rewritten more than once already. Pick up a current Nancy Drew and you will see few similarities to the books of your childhood, other than the names of the characters.

That doesn't bother me because it's completely fictional to begin with. There is no way to quietly "rewrite" Laura Ingalls Wilder and take out the various scenes in which her family interacted with Native Americans, nor should it be done. Children need to learn about history. In fact, lots of adults could stand to learn quite a bit more about history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 09:32 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,084,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I can’t believe just how whacked in the head so many in this society have become that we are actually having this conversation.
I can't believe just how whacked in the head so many here are getting over changing the name of an award to better reflect the times. It's the end of the world, I tell ya!

Quote:
Just burn all books, especially history and destroy all statues.

Just like George Orwell wrote. It’s all coming true.
Well, Orwell was writing about a right wing authoritarian government taking over, and we do have a dictator wannabe in the White House, so you might be right about that.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
As a devout agnostic I've studied multiple religions over the years, from Christianity to Judaism to Buddhism to Islam, with a bunch more mixed in. There is no "Christian Doctrine". There are more denominations of Christianity than there are sects of Islam. Depending on how you define the term "denomination," there are somewhere between 20,000 and 40,000 of them. They don't all approach Christianity in the same way, and they don't all believe the same things. Even the Catholic Church - the oldest and arguably most stable (and historically most brutal) branch of Christianity - has sects within sects. Christianity isn't a one-size-fits-all religion any more than Islam is. This is why I get irritated with people who argue that "not all Muslims are extremists" and then turn around and say "Christians believe xxxxx."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I thinks some Christian doctrines may have been a bit different, depending on the topic.
So what you two are telling me is that the Christianity Laura Ingalls learned and practiced told them to treat other humans badly and to look down on those people if they’re ethnically or racially different than you are?

I see. So at what point did her sect of Christianity change and began to take a more humanitarian outlook on how your fellow man should be treated?

Or are you telling me that the Bible actually changed during this time in question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I think people tend to react badly to people that try to kill them, regardless of race or religion.
People tend to want to kill you when you encroach on or try to dispossess them of the things they love ...like their homes, land, or food source.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I can’t believe just how whacked in the head so many in this society have become that we are actually having this conversation. Just burn all books, especially history and destroy all statues.

Just like George Orwell wrote. It’s all coming true.
LMAO...a Trump supporter bringing up Orwell. That’s delicious.

My goodness...the irony.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:41 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So what you two are telling me is that the Christianity Laura Ingalls learned and practiced told them to treat other humans badly and to look down on those people if they’re ethnically or racially different than you are?

I see. So at what point did her sect of Christianity change and began to take a more humanitarian outlook on how your fellow man should be treated?

Or are you telling me that the Bible actually changed during this time in question?

People tend to want to kill you when you encroach on or try to dispossess them of the things they love ...like their homes, land, or food source.
Neither of us said that. You have a tendency to try to twist the words of other people in an attempt to make yourself look morally superior. It's transparent and, quite frankly, makes you look like you have reading comprehension problems. There was literally nothing in either of our posts that stated what you are claiming, but you already knew that - right?

At no point in this text that you quoted did I say anything about what Christianity teaches:
Quote:
As a devout agnostic I've studied multiple religions over the years, from Christianity to Judaism to Buddhism to Islam, with a bunch more mixed in. There is no "Christian Doctrine". There are more denominations of Christianity than there are sects of Islam. Depending on how you define the term "denomination," there are somewhere between 20,000 and 40,000 of them. They don't all approach Christianity in the same way, and they don't all believe the same things. Even the Catholic Church - the oldest and arguably most stable (and historically most brutal) branch of Christianity - has sects within sects. Christianity isn't a one-size-fits-all religion any more than Islam is. This is why I get irritated with people who argue that "not all Muslims are extremists" and then turn around and say "Christians believe xxxxx."
I simply pointed out that there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all "Christian Doctrine."

If you are going to continue to use dishonest tactics in debating me, I will start reporting you to moderators. Either debate me honestly or put me on your ignore list, because your tendency to try to pretend that I or other people said something that we didn't is starting to be more of a distraction than a method of debate.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:55 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,404,147 times
Quote:

I don't know what Christian teachings Laura learned. However, it is possible it was similar to the so-called Christianity Neo-Nazis claim to practice. It is also possible that it was not similar to that. I don't know her Christian sect may have changed concerning your second question.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Neither of us said that. You have a tendency to try to twist the words of other people in an attempt to make yourself look morally superior. It's transparent and, quite frankly, makes you look like you have reading comprehension problems. There was literally nothing in either of our posts that stated what you are claiming, but you already knew that - right?

At no point in this text that you quoted did I say anything about what Christianity teaches:

I simply pointed out that there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all "Christian Doctrine."

If you are going to continue to use dishonest tactics in debating me, I will start reporting you to moderators. Either debate me honestly or put me on your ignore list, because your tendency to try to pretend that I or other people said something that we didn't is starting to be more of a distraction than a method of debate.
Report me and quit the damn sniveling.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I don't know what Christian teachings Laura learned. However, it is possible it was similar to the so-called Christianity Neo-Nazis claim to practice. It is also possible that it was not similar to that. I don't know her Christian sect may have changed concerning your second question.
I know the Christian teachings she learned...the same ones I learned. Only she’s likely a Protestant and I was raised a Catholic.

Which is why I’m calling BS on people that claim that in her time, people didn’t know any better when it came to the treatment of people.

They knew, but they simply chose to ignore what they were taught.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:24 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
LMAO...a Trump supporter bringing up Orwell. That’s delicious.

My goodness...the irony.
Can't help but wonder what future generations will think of what's going on now.

Will they write it off the animus towards Muslims and Mexicans by Trump supporters as "product of our times?"

Old 06-28-2018, 12:25 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
I know the Christian teachings she learned...the same ones I learned. Only she’s likely a Protestant and I was raised a Catholic.

Which is why I’m calling BS on people that claim that in her time, people didn’t know any better when it came to the treatment of people.

They knew, but they simply chose to ignore what they were taught.
People knew.

Lot of people behaved better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies