Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 05:33 AM

59,185 posts, read 27,388,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Well, it has only gotten worse and more intense since last year. And to be fair the left calling Fox faux news is more so about their reporting of the wars on _____ or turning editorials opinions into news. For the most part, they haven't demonized Fox as much as the right does with virtually any media knocking Trump especially with threats. For some reason, the (veiled) threats against the media mostly comes from the right with a few far lefties too but nowhere near the levels of the right's vitriolic comments about the media.
"For the most part, they haven't demonized Fox as much as the right does with virtually any media knocking Trump especially with threats."

What I see is most on the left demonize FOX because of NON NEWS shows like Hannity, etc. lumping them in with actual NEWS shows.

Most of them claim they wouldn't be caught DEAD watching FOX but, seem to KNOW what goes on on FOX.

I see people on FOX ADMITTING to being a conservative.

When I used to watch other shows I NEVER heard one of them ADMIT to being a liberal.

At least most FOX people are HONEST and DON'T pretend to not be biased.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:36 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"For the most part, they haven't demonized Fox as much as the right does with virtually any media knocking Trump especially with threats."

What I see is most on the left demonize FOX because of NON NEWS shows like Hannity, etc. lumping them in with actual NEWS shows.

Most of them claim they wouldn't be caught DEAD watching FOX but, seem to KNOW what goes on on FOX.

I see people on FOX ADMITTING to being a conservative.

When I used to watch other shows I NEVER heard one of them ADMIT to being a liberal.

At least most FOX people are HONEST and DON'T pretend to not be biased.
Well let's look at tag lines. Fox's is "Fair and Balanced" yet I don't remember they were not as fair to Trump until he became a freight train. Now they fully defend Trump even during news programs and not just editorial style shows. There are a lot of this with liberals too, many shows proport this on Fox. MSNBC has a tag line "This is who we are" which is vague and apolitical. CNN has two troubling tag lines "The Most Name in Trusted News" and "Facts First." Now I did defend CNN from Vertias due to their known gotcha stings, but I'm not gonna let slide that there is a problem with trust due to it and other issues (no different than most outlets from time to time) but it isn't.
I'm no real supporter of MSNBC, but I do think that their tag line is what the other cable news stations need to go towards.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:07 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,674,899 times
The media is biased in their coverage of politics.
They exacerbate the divide and ramp up discord. They contribute to the growing violence in the way they cover events and stories. They pit people of opposing views against each other who scream, yell, constantly interrupt and try to shout down the other side. Their programing is meant to enrage people and emotions and it works.
The motive is profit and the arena is more like the Roman Coliseum where the blood letting plays out in the population. Then they cover the recent killings and villains and look for the political motive to create more viewers to enrage. More political bias ensues and the cycle continues and they profit without any real concern for anything but their profit.
The model of a free press is gone. The current model is a profit press. Facts don't matter. Bring in the gladiators and who are they ? Media people who write for one side or the other. Politicians who represent one side or the other.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:08 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,798,578 times
Unbiased reporting never existed. Newspapers were always partisan. It's only natural that TV should follow suit. Apart from reporting volcanoes and earthquakes (and even then,only with a grain of salt), every news outlet always shades every story with a political coloring.

Be aware, read different sources, don't believe everything you read or see and don't believe anything 100%. Above all, trust you own eyes and ears. They are your best sources.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Well let's look at tag lines. Fox's is "Fair and Balanced" yet I don't remember they were not as fair to Trump until he became a freight train. Now they fully defend Trump even during news programs and not just editorial style shows. There are a lot of this with liberals too, many shows proport this on Fox. MSNBC has a tag line "This is who we are" which is vague and apolitical. CNN has two troubling tag lines "The Most Name in Trusted News" and "Facts First." Now I did defend CNN from Vertias due to their known gotcha stings, but I'm not gonna let slide that there is a problem with trust due to it and other issues (no different than most outlets from time to time) but it isn't.
I'm no real supporter of MSNBC, but I do think that their tag line is what the other cable news stations need to go towards.

"Now they fully defend Trump even during news programs and not just editorial style shows"

I still see people on FOX who are not crazy about him.

The only truly news show is Brett Beir and they ALWAYS have dem on the panel at the end of the show.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Unbiased reporting never existed. Newspapers were always partisan. It's only natural that TV should follow suit. Apart from reporting volcanoes and earthquakes (and even then,only with a grain of salt), every news outlet always shades every story with a political coloring.

Be aware, read different sources, don't believe everything you read or see and don't believe anything 100%. Above all, trust you own eyes and ears. They are your best sources.
"Unbiased reporting never existed. Newspapers were always partisan"

I agree.

The left press NEVER showed FDR in a wheel chair. Most people didn't even know he had polio and mostly wheelchair confined.

We KNOW the press knew about JFK's sexual exploits and NEVER reported on it.

They denied the charges against bill clinton, etc., etc., etc.

Wasn't it Walter Cronkite who in Saigon proclaimed "we have lost the war" when in FACT we won every battle and later the North Viet Nam general later said how surprised he was that we" quit" becuae they had been beaten.

History is FILLED with left leaning "news" pushing their own agendas and political positions.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:49 AM

45,456 posts, read 60,680,465 times
Quote:
I used to do lot of traveling and have seen it a LOT, when a paper leans left and does report on a dem who was accused of doing something wrong, the party they belonged to was either way down in the article or NEVER mentioned but if a repub was involved it was in the headline.

But they are "objective" and NOT politically motivated!

They "push" their own favorable issues and demean anybody who dares to disagree with them.
I think you and I are in the same general area so I imagine you've noticed that the stories about recent indictments and convictions of various elected officials in a couple jurisdictions haven't mentioned the political party. I will grant that seeing which jurisdictions they are one would have to be pretty obtuse to not know the party.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:57 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,092,980 times
Before Fox News, the conservatives pretty much only had Rush Limbaugh to listen to on the radio. Once Fox News came around, conservatives had an outlet to hear the stories that supported their opinions.

This is not to say that Fox was 100% conservative. Even if they are not fully 50-50 conservative/liberal, they do seem to offer a lot of liberal viewpoints, even on shows like Tucker Carlson. Of course Tucker often skewers the liberals he has on, because he tends to show how ridiculous their ideas often are. But, if you watch all the Fox shows where they are heavy on opinion versus hard news, they seem to have more liberals on to provide their side's views, than all the other networks considered MSM.

As of this date, the outlets considered MSM by conservatives have not learned a whole lot and still slant their coverage to some extent to favor the liberal viewpoint. There is a reason the liberals keep criticizing Fox and only Fox.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:46 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,862,909 times
FOX gets criticized because it is the MSM news channel that consistently spreads bogus conspiracy tales and outright lies.

Birtherism, Benghazi, Deep State, Uranium One, Seth Rich ...

https://www.oregonlive.com/trending/...s_that_tu.html

Old 07-02-2018, 11:09 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
"Now they fully defend Trump even during news programs and not just editorial style shows"

I still see people on FOX who are not crazy about him.

The only truly news show is Brett Beir and they ALWAYS have dem on the panel at the end of the show.
Well for the most part they are holding their noses and double down with Trump comments and conspiracy theories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies