Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 08:49 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times

Advertisements

The right wing is salivating over the possibility that a new Supreme Court might overturn Roe v. Wade. If that happens, it won't reduce the number of abortions, only who does them: a doctor or a friend with a coathanger.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:54 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The right wing is salivating over the possibility that a new Supreme Court might overturn Roe v. Wade. If that happens, it won't reduce the number of abortions, only who does them: a doctor or a friend with a coathanger.
I agree it won’t actually eliminate abortions, but I disagree why. States will be able to still permit them, and there will be plenty of states that do. Now whether or not abortion is permitted in a state will start to work the way that should have been taking place all along based on the constitution.

For the record, I am not anti-choice. I am anti-federal hijacking of states’ rights.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:59 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
A lot will probably go to Canada for the procedure if it was outlawed in all states.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:00 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Let the states decide what they want as was intended.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:05 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I agree it won’t actually eliminate abortions, but I disagree why. States will be able to still permit them, and there will be plenty of states that do. Now whether or not abortion is permitted in a state will start to work the way that should have been taking place all along based on the constitution.

For the record, I am not anti-choice. I am anti-federal hijacking of states’ rights.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:09 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,933 times
Abolishing abortions in a state or nationwide will simply result in women getting the procedure done in an unsafe environment by people lacking the proper medical expertise. It is the same way that outlawing something simply results in people finding another way to obtain it.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:13 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,399,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
That's untrue. The number of abortions is well up in rate since legalization. Many women are actually deterred by the thought of a crude instrument.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:18 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
That's untrue. The number of abortions is well up in rate since legalization. Many women are actually deterred by the thought of a crude instrument.
Not true. Desperate people do desperate things and you can't say with a straight face that the rate of abortions went up after legalization because back alley abortions were not tracked. I personally know a person who died from a back alley abortion when we were in high school. Safe, legal and rare is what we should all be working towards. Making abortions illegal is not going to change the reasons why woman and couples seek them.

Abortions have been taking place since biblical times when they'd drop large rocks on bellies. They aren't going to stop just by changing the law. All we'll do is return to dangerous back alley abortions that will kill and maim woman and fill up our prisons with women and people who try to preform legal abortions. Returning the issue to states is a joke. Poor women won't be able to afford going.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 06-29-2018 at 10:04 AM..

Old 06-29-2018, 09:23 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
A Roe vs Wade repeal would impact privacy issues, it would not implement a federal ban on abortions. At most it will allow some red states to ban abortions and wait until they get challenged under the 14th equal protections amendment. At which point unless the scotus legally defines birth at conception and argue equal protection for the fetuses which I guess would be a possibility there is really no grounds for a federal ban. It seems to me that resources would be better spent on establishing ngos to assist red state citizens to secure abortion services in a blue state

Old 06-29-2018, 09:26 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Roe vs. Wade will stand, perhaps with eventual small changes to allow states more discretion. I believe the law allowing states to limit abortion to the first trimester is fair and settled.

I would like to see this more settled, hopefully seeing the left stop celebrating such a monstrous thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies