Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 04:52 AM

8,397 posts, read 4,391,844 times

Advertisements

It was a grand parade. One of the largest and "the official" state parade. Lots of people, floats, marching units, fraternal organizations, clowns, public service etc.

EVERY time a military unit of any kind passed, the crowds roared and clapped.

EVERY time a politician passed, the crowds were silent.

It was very noticeable. I am not quiet sure what to make of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 05:27 AM

59,338 posts, read 27,496,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
It was a grand parade. One of the largest and "the official" state parade. Lots of people, floats, marching units, fraternal organizations, clowns, public service etc.

EVERY time a military unit of any kind passed, the crowds roared and clapped.

EVERY time a politician passed, the crowds were silent.

It was very noticeable. I am not quiet sure what to make of it.

"It was very noticeable. I am not quiet sure what to make of it."

It doesn't take a genius to figure it out!

Old 07-05-2018, 05:35 AM

17,662 posts, read 17,790,535 times
Military volunteer for a service of self sacrifice. Generally politicians get into politics for self enrichment. The longer they stay in office the more they learn how to abuse the system to enrich themselves beyond their government salary.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:59 AM

Well … the spontaneous positive response for the military does not take much to figure out.

The politicians … I guess I assumed those in favor for one of the other would be yelling or clapping or something. But no, pretty much nothing for anyone. There was one heavy set fellow that walked in the parade with all his Trump regalia on including an over sized hat with half a dozen various pro-Trump bumper stickers on it. Everyone pretty much ignored him like all the rest of political landscape in the parade.

Are people reluctant to voice their political preference in public? Are they afraid of violent repercussion? Are they just tired of all the crap from both sides and just wanted a fun day to celebrate America? Are they indifferent? That is what I meant by being not sure what to make of it.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:04 AM

89,311 posts, read 45,022,208 times
Quote:
Well … the spontaneous positive response for the military does not take much to figure out.

The politicians … I guess I assumed those in favor for one of the other would be yelling or clapping or something. But no, pretty much nothing for anyone. There was one heavy set fellow that walked in the parade with all his Trump regalia on including an over sized hat with half a dozen various pro-Trump bumper stickers on it. Everyone pretty much ignored him like all the rest of political landscape in the parade.

Are people reluctant to voice their political preference in public? Are they afraid of violent repercussion? Are they just tired of all the crap from both sides and just wanted a fun day to celebrate America? Are they indifferent? That is what I meant by being not sure what to make of it.
Yes. Just look at what happened to Pam Bondi when she was going to a movie, not even saying anything political or going to a political event. And she has a security detail (State Police).

Old 07-05-2018, 06:26 AM

88,741 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:

Maybe they are tired of politicians using public events to get attention and put themselves in the spotlight.

We are sick of these self-serving idiots.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:28 AM

24,449 posts, read 23,132,567 times
I like to watch 4th of July celebrations but the music just keeps getting crappier and crappier. Old faded worn out bands and stars from the 70s and 80s or whoever is big today banging out garbage people can hear any time, or worse, they butcher traditional patriotic songs.
This is ONE day a year we can celebrate history and have classic music that is a tribute to the foundation and forging of the country. Imagine Christmas without Christmas music, just a day to celebrate and not know what the heck you're even celebrating.
I had Youtube and got my Gershwin, Williams, Sousa and the military bands so I didn't miss out. The TV stayed off last night, no point in watching yet another failed 4th of July show from DC or NYC or Philly.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:32 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,645,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Military volunteer for a service of self sacrifice. Generally politicians get into politics for self enrichment. The longer they stay in office the more they learn how to abuse the system to enrich themselves beyond their government salary.
Absolutely. Then they want benefits too. Who pays for them? We do. Nice to have a worry free job where the money rolls in and you get free health insurance and retirement. Isn’t it time we cut some of their freebies?

Old 07-05-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Absolutely. Then they want benefits too. Who pays for them? We do. Nice to have a worry free job where the money rolls in and you get free health insurance and retirement. Isn’t it time we cut some of their freebies?
No doubt … but guess who gets to vote yea or nay for those benefits … the very people that get them … it doesn't take much to figure out which side of the coin that will land on.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:45 AM

51,671 posts, read 25,914,470 times
Quote:

I've noticed a reluctance to even express political opinions in private. What more is there to say?

There is just no way way that tariff wars, adding trillions to the national debt, letting Putin meddle in our elections and run our foreign policy is going to work out well for the U.S.

We've hit the ice berg and are dreading what comes next.

Except for those who think they'll be getting on those lifeboats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies