Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 09:57 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
It's highly doubtful that Lovecrowds (the OP) started this thread re not getting enough attention from women. He has mentioned in other threads that he is a gay man.
This is interesting to me because I interviewed a gay male friend I had one time about various subjects related to gender and the issue of some gay men being repulsed by females came up . . . evidently a good portion of gay men detest females (in any form). I wonder if this is an issue for the OP.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:22 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
I don't think people realize how little the typical 1200 calories recommended to lose weight is.

I've travelled to countries where food wasn't exactly abundant (I had around 1500 calories a day if I were to guess), and my stomach was growling nonstop for the entire time. It was embarrassing...and all I could think of was food. I'm 5'10 and usually around 125 lbs, and I usually eat closer to 2500 calories per day, but that is genetically required for my family.

Still, 1200 calories is really hard for anyone. When I did modelling gigs during college, the other girls (and even guys if they were in the shoot too) were constantly complaining to one another about how hard dieting was.

Also I had a roommate who set "rules" on what food could be brought into the house because she didn't want to be tempted. If I wanted to eat any takeout, I couldn't eat it at home without her blowing up at me. And she wasn't even fat... Hell, even my husband is a food police because he also has to be strict about his diet, or he gets fluffy.

The only people I know who find it relatively easy to stay skinny are Asians. I think they also tend to genetically have higher metabolisms.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:27 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
I will not be nice, I will shame all day, if someone ask if they are fat, I say yes. I will not support it, and I will call someone out that I know personally. "look youre overweight, eat something else"
its awful.
Why do you give a ****?
What is the obsession some have with the weight, eating habits or life style of strangers?

Old 07-09-2018, 10:33 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
The only people I know who find it relatively easy to stay skinny are Asians. I think they also tend to genetically have higher metabolisms.
It's not their metabolisms, it's their lifestyle. Their diet is very sensible, not very much red meat. More tofu and fish. And heavier on vegetables and small meat protein portions. The Vietnamese and Japanese love their noodle bowls with clear broth. And they drink more tea and hardly any soda.

I work with two young black males who are skinny, and they happen to be vegans.

I am sad to work with a couple of women in their twenties who are morbidly obese. Their eating habits are terrible. Fried foods, sweets and soda. They have so much cellulite showing on their thighs too. But they still like wearing short shorts and tight tops. They don't seem to mind letting everyone know what every part of their body looks like. I wouldn't want to be their health insurance company!

And I work in a metropolitan area... why is this thread about non-metropolitan women? A slight against Trump voting women?

Old 07-09-2018, 11:11 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
The study didn't mention anything about a "body positive movement"....

Obesity has been rising in America for 2-3 decades now no matter if people are shamed or accepted.

The study is not surprising. People move less and eat more crappy food. People don't even have to physically move to go buy food now (can have it delivered to their home or can sit in the car at the store and have someone bring it out to their car).

On body shaming - it is not necessary so don't understand why anyone would want to encourage someone else to bully an individual over their weight or want to have an overweight/obese individual become suicidally depressed or become more obese due to emotional eating by being discriminatory of their weight/appearance.

IMO it is a good thing if obese people accept they are obese. Some of them also look good/attractive even with the additional weight and there is nothing wrong with admitting that. It is also good for them to have clothes that fit them well and which they look good in. I honestly don't understand the gripes some of the posters have about people who are overweight. Most people who are fat already know they are fat. They don't need you to say anything to them about it and I'd rather they have cute clothes to wear and live a full life, no matter how long they live.

FWIW if I were severely obese, I'd rather be fat and happy than thin and starving and trying to live a life to fit some sort of height/weight chart. You only get one life.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It's not their metabolisms, it's their lifestyle. Their diet is very sensible, not very much red meat. More tofu and fish. And heavier on vegetables and small meat protein portions. The Vietnamese and Japanese love their noodle bowls with clear broth. And they drink more tea and hardly any soda.

I work with two young black males who are skinny, and they happen to be vegans.

I am sad to work with a couple of women in their twenties who are morbidly obese. Their eating habits are terrible. Fried foods, sweets and soda. They have so much cellulite showing on their thighs too. But they still like wearing short shorts and tight tops. They don't seem to mind letting everyone know what every part of their body looks like. I wouldn't want to be their health insurance company!

And I work in a metropolitan area... why is this thread about non-metropolitan women? A slight against Trump voting women?

Why are you sad about it lol?

Just don't want to see their cellulite? Look away then lol.

And if they like their bodies, that is a great thing. Not too many people who are thin are confident in themselves and like their bodies.

I'll note as a black women - we've always been more overweight than white or Asian women. We have bigger booties so even when obesity wasn't such an issue for black women (and I do believe it is a issue we need to work on) we were considered overweight.

Black girls/women are usually raised not to even be concerned with European beauty standards let along Asian ones. We are taught and encouraged to be confident in ourselves no matter our physical appearance. That is why we often rate higher on confidence and resiliency scores than other women. I know the white women friends/family I have they are always beating themselves up over their looks or trying to lose weight and they often get depressed over their weight and appearance. This does happen with black girls/women but usually not as much because of us being raised with the idea that beauty standards in this country do not apply to us. I remember my great grandmother - who was very beautiful and a size 12 with a big booty (according to her) saying beauty standards were for white girls and for me to not pay attention to them.

So if these are two obese black women, your description doesn't surprise me in that they "don't seem to mind letting everyone" see their bodies lol. I have a little sister who is overweight and even I think she is too much at times, but I love that young lady and she is very confident in herself and I very much adore her confidence in her mind, her body, and her abilities and capability to do whatever she wants in her life.

Confidence in ones-self is an admirable trait. People who are always afraid of what other people are thinking of them and who cower and try to hide themselves - those are people I'd feel sorry for.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
It has been a while since Lovecrowds has made an obesity thread. He usually sticks to California bashing or complaining about millennials with student loan debt eating expensive meals and drinking $15 martinis.

Fat shaming is a bad thing and could lead to other mental issues down the line especially with teenagers. On the other hand promoting obesity as if it is a healthy thing is just not a smart thing. There is a show on TLC called "My Big Fat Beautiful Life" and the star believes she is perfect the way she is. Good for her but she also believes she is healthy. I have an obese collegue that complains that women are not attracted to him because he is "fat". I agree that is part of the problem but I think the bigger issue is that he isn't healthy.

Don't we have the most obese lower class in the world?

Now back to my kale smoothie.

On this I think it depends on the person. I don't watch reality shows but if the show is about a young obese person, then they may have good BP and good blood sugar/A1C and not have any health concerns (they are healthy) right now.

However, I do think people need to pay attention to it as they get older as being overweight causes more issues later on in life. But I've known some obese people who have no health issues. They are not morbidly obese and they are in their 60s but they live a rather active life and aren't on any meds or anything.

I mentioned I do think it is an important issue for black women and for me that is because of us having a predisposition to diabetes (and note, even thin Asians have a predisposition to diabetes) and high blood pressure. Heart disease, strokes, etc., are huge health concerns for black women and so I do think that eating healthier in particular is something that we need to work on for our quality of life as we age and to decrease the occurrence and complications of these diseases.

I'll note as well for both HBP and diabetes that oftentimes even changing eating habits doesn't help. I know many thin black people who aren't overweight who have diabetes and HBP. I actually am being monitored myself for HBP. It runs in my family. I thought it funny because my doctor mentioned my BP was higher than normal at my last checkup and told me to cut down on salt, so I did and went I went for a followup she was concerned at my "low sodium" levels lol. I'm like...uhhh....you told me to cut back on salt lol.

I'm pushing 40 and everyone in my family usually go on some sort of HBP med in their 40s. I hope I don't but it won't be the end of the world if I do.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:34 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
IMO it is a good thing if obese people accept they are obese. Some of them also look good/attractive even with the additional weight and there is nothing wrong with admitting that. It is also good for them to have clothes that fit them well and which they look good in. I honestly don't understand the gripes some of the posters have about people who are overweight. Most people who are fat already know they are fat. They don't need you to say anything to them about it and I'd rather they have cute clothes to wear and live a full life, no matter how long they live.

FWIW if I were severely obese, I'd rather be fat and happy than thin and starving and trying to live a life to fit some sort of height/weight chart. You only get one life.
Fat is not beautiful. And fat is very unhealthy.

Fat people will break our healthcare system. Diabetes, surgeries to replace worn or damaged hip and knee joints, heart disease, high blood pressure... yes. Being overweight is indeed very unhealthy and expensive to the rest of society.

I really don't care if you are morbidly obese, but I do care if you cost my health insurance company more to cover your fat related health problems. I feel the same way when a heavy drinker needs a liver. Or a cross dresser decided that they need to have a sex change operation and needs it to be covered by health insurance.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Fat is not beautiful. And fat is very unhealthy.

Fat people will break our healthcare system. Diabetes, surgeries to replace worn or damaged hip and knee joints, heart disease, high blood pressure... yes. Being overweight is indeed very unhealthy and expensive to the rest of society.

I really don't care if you are morbidly obese, but I do care if you cost my health insurance company more to cover your fat related health problems. I feel the same way when a heavy drinker needs a liver. Or a cross dresser decided that they need to have a sex change operation and needs it to be covered by health insurance.

Again, how do the women make you sad...?

None of that is about you being sad - it is about you being judgmental.

I knwo a lot about health insurance as I work with companies to purchase it. Do you feel "sad" about people who have children? They cause your insurance rates to go up, especially if a lot of people on your job decide to get pregnant or fall pregnant within a year or two's time. Do you feel upset about a cancer patient who is not overweight or a smoker making your insurance go up?

Seems to me that you just want to b**ch and be judgmental about other people instead of focusing on yourself. I could care less how people look. I mentioned my sister is too much at time, I meant with her fashion. She shows a lot of lumps, bumps, and cellulite but that's how she wants to dress. She works 2 jobs and pays her way in life and she is a great mom and very intelligent and isn't on public assistance and is a dam hard worker at both her jobs. She is also in school full time. So I have no problem with her at all even though I do tell her to have a bit more modesty in her dress. Not because I don't want to see her lumps, bumps, and cellulite, but because I'm pretty snobby and judgmental myself about the way people dress. But that's my problem. She does herself and I love her for it and love her confidence in herself. Oh and she is a very beautiful woman even with her being obese. Beauty is more than just appearance.

My sister has always reminded me, since she was grown, especially in her socializing/dating life of the Maya Angelou poem "Phenomenal Woman." Our grandmother made us memorize this and said it is the essence of black womanhood.

Quote:
Phenomenal Woman

BY MAYA ANGELOU

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.

I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size

But when I start to tell them,

They think I’m telling lies.

I say,

It’s in the reach of my arms,

The span of my hips,

The stride of my step,

The curl of my lips.

I’m a woman

Phenomenally.

Phenomenal woman,

That’s me.

I walk into a room

Just as cool as you please,

And to a man,

The fellows stand or

Fall down on their knees.

Then they swarm around me,

A hive of honey bees.

I say,

It’s the fire in my eyes,

And the flash of my teeth,

The swing in my waist,

And the joy in my feet.

I’m a woman

Phenomenally.

Phenomenal woman,

That’s me.

Men themselves have wondered

What they see in me.

They try so much

But they can’t touch

My inner mystery.

When I try to show them,

They say they still can’t see.

I say,

It’s in the arch of my back,

The sun of my smile,

The ride of my breasts,

The grace of my style.

I’m a woman

Phenomenally.

Phenomenal woman,

That’s me.

Now you understand

Just why my head’s not bowed.

I don’t shout or jump about

Or have to talk real loud.

When you see me passing,

It ought to make you proud.

I say,

It’s in the click of my heels,

The bend of my hair,

the palm of my hand,

The need for my care.

’Cause I’m a woman

Phenomenally.

Phenomenal woman,

That’s me.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:57 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know that. However, this is a thread that is discussing women and the body-positive movement among women.

No, the article in the OP says no such thing, nor is it gender specific.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies