Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2018, 03:49 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,224,215 times

Advertisements

One thing is that people do not gain 40 or 100 pounds overnight like it's a big surprise,
I sympathize with the difficulty of anybody trying to lose 100 or so lbs
But the first 5 or 10 or having to buy new clothes is when it should sta rt
Ignore that and I have to admit my sympathy level goes down incrementality and most defininitly when those people feed their kids the same way

Old 07-07-2018, 04:02 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,629,473 times
It has been a while since Lovecrowds has made an obesity thread. He usually sticks to California bashing or complaining about millennials with student loan debt eating expensive meals and drinking $15 martinis.

Fat shaming is a bad thing and could lead to other mental issues down the line especially with teenagers. On the other hand promoting obesity as if it is a healthy thing is just not a smart thing. There is a show on TLC called "My Big Fat Beautiful Life" and the star believes she is perfect the way she is. Good for her but she also believes she is healthy. I have an obese collegue that complains that women are not attracted to him because he is "fat". I agree that is part of the problem but I think the bigger issue is that he isn't healthy.

Don't we have the most obese lower class in the world?

Now back to my kale smoothie.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:05 PM

5,071 posts, read 2,284,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
lol 130 at 5'10" is skinny as hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellorebecca View Post
This is such a sad, sad story. 5’9” and 140 is not chubby anywhere. Not Europe, not the US, not Somalia. You even said yourself you dont see it in pics— BECAUSE IT WASNT THERE.

And if you have a daughter or daughters, please don’t make them think that they must be 120 lbs at 5’9”.

No kidding. I'm 5'7" - 120 lbs and wear a size 2, or sometimes 4. If I'm nowhere near fat, these women can't possibly be. Maybe they carry very little muscle and have a higher percentage of body fat than most, but still... NOT fat.

As for cause, I agree with others that the body-acceptance movement is only a tiny part of the overall weight issues in the US.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:29 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,135,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
No kidding. I'm 5'7" - 120 lbs and wear a size 2, or sometimes 4. If I'm nowhere near fat, these women can't possibly be. Maybe they carry very little muscle and have a higher percentage of body fat than most, but still... NOT fat.

As for cause, I agree with others that the body-acceptance movement is only a tiny part of the overall weight issues in the US.
I think the body positive thing is an effect, not a cause. So many people are overweight these days as to constitute a large minority if not a small majority of people.

The additives in our foods play a role. I was watching a documentary with a physician who specializes in nutrition. She said that when the body receives something it can’t identify as food, it immediately stores it as it would a toxin. As fat. That’s why artificial trans fats are such killers.

High fructose corn syrup is another gem, and it’s in soda ( pop to some of you ) One Big Gulp, and your diet is hosed for the day. Because when that blood sugar spikes, insulin comes out and starts storing fat and processing the sugar. This is why a sudden weight loss is a sign of diabetes. The pancreas conked out, so no more fat storing insulin. No more nutrients for your tissues either, but that’s a whole different discussion.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:45 PM

830 posts, read 487,707 times
As a fifty something guy, I've been pretty amazed at the current "obesity crisis" in the United States. Americans are just huge these days compared to when I grew up. During my younger days, a guy who was six feet tall and carrying an extra 30-40 pounds was considered "fat". Now it almost seems thin!

I think it's addiction and lack of self control, mostly. Calories have become so much more easy to come by quickly and inexpensively, and people have a hard time resisting. We know it is almost always just a measure of the delta between the inputs (calories in through food intake) and the outputs (calories out through exercise (mostly)). I have several friends struggling with weight control, and I know it is psychologically tough - just like other issues of self discipline such as stopping smoking, keeping alcohol consumption to moderate levels, and spending less money than you earn. As a matter of fact, I think this last example serves as a great analogue with weight control substituting dollars for calories almost everything else is surprisingly similar.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:32 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,560,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
I think it's addiction and lack of self control, mostly. Calories have become so much more easy to come by quickly and inexpensively, and people have a hard time resisting.
But how could it be that? Did we now, at this time in history, just all decide to get out of control? That makes no sense. There is a gym on every corner and corporations even allow you to work out. It is much more likely the food which is fattening us up. If you have a high metabolism, you have "self control" but if you have a lower metabolism you can't keep up with the super calorie laden food in larger quantities.

People lose all perspective when it comes to this issue as it provides a way for thin people to believe themselves superior and they don't want to give that up.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:07 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,708,484 times
I think it is just self control.

Claiming addiction, is just a copout for making hard choices

Old 07-08-2018, 02:21 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,825,996 times
Well Republicans are against everything that promotes public health. They take a share of the blame for the obesity epidemic.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:55 PM

73,067 posts, read 62,694,503 times
I would say it is the other way around. More women have been getting bigger. As more women were being made fun of for being heavy, many women rebelled and responded with the body positivity movement. Basically, it was a big middle finger to those who made fun of them for being overweight.

Now, being overweight/obese is not healthy. It leads to issues like heart disease, diabetes,etc. The fact that we have a "body positivity" movement says more about how we approach the issue of being fat/obese. We need to look at this issue from a health perspective. If people are trying to lose weight simply because they are being made fun of or "body shamed", then the weight loss is being done for the wrong reasons. There is no real commitment to eating healthy and living a healthy lifestyle. That is where the commitment needs to be. It needs to be about actual change, not about trying to keep others from making fun of you.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:06 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I would say it is the other way around. More women have been getting bigger. As more women were being made fun of for being heavy, many women rebelled and responded with the body positivity movement. Basically, it was a big middle finger to those who made fun of them for being overweight.
Except I showed actual data that there are more heavy men.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies