Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 03:10 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,543 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm venting. Not about this forum, but about another social platform I have participated on, and about a general issue that I'm sure we've all run into at some point.

Some, if not all, of you have probably heard of Reddit. Great platform for sharing information and what not. However, it tends to be largely inhabited by SJWs and PC advocates. I have nothing particularly against them, as I'm usually on the progressive side of most social issues anyway.

I had an interesting experience a few months ago that really got me thinking about political correctness. I was posting on one of their more popular subs (politics) on an article about some person in the presidential administration committing treason. Without much thought, I posted a rather crude comment about the person being "hanged for treason" if they were guilty, alluding the US Federal Code that outlines the criminality and punishment of treason.

My comment was deleted shortly after by the mod squad, and I was banned from the sub for "advocating death". So, for simply acknowledging that the penalty under US Federal Law for treason is death (or in less severe cases, fine and prison time), I was banned and told I was advocating for the death of someone.

Granted, I take full responsibility for posting a bone-headed comment without really much thought. But "advocating death"? A little harsh, no? My extremely liberal buddy and I have talked about similar cases, such as someone caught urinating in a public park is deemed a "sexual predator" to the same degree as someone who actively molested a young child. I'd hate to be categorized as some sexual deviant in that sort of case just as I dislike being categorized as some horrible person who advocates death unto others.

At what point did we get here, where you can't so much as express an opinion (based on fact/law, mind you) without being shut down and censored? It's one thing if you're out their doxxing someone in hopes that some crazed lunatic will find them and inflict harm on them. It's another to say "this is the law, and it's my opinion that it should be followed in this particular case". This makes me an evil death advocate in the same sense as the former? What about the people who advocate an eye for an eye in the case of murdering the innocent? Are they also sadistic death advocates?

The PC censorship and SJWing has gotten out of hand IMO. The fact that you can't have an opinion that is risque, or that the SJWs out there can not differentiate legit harmful messaging vs. a lazy, thoughtless comment with no ill-intent is both disturbing and dangerous. What kind of society are we becoming when the "Thought Police" get to decide if your words are evil or not, and in turn, censor or, worse, lock you up? Why do people think this type of censorship is 'OK'? Do they not realize the clear slippery slope that lies in front of them? All it takes is for a simple shift in power dynamics before the other side is inflicting the same kind of censorship on you.

Last edited by Left-handed; 07-06-2018 at 03:25 PM..

Old 07-06-2018, 03:18 PM

4,242 posts, read 948,406 times
I agree, OP, that was above and beyond for sure!

I wish everyone would be more thoughtful about the conclusions we jump to. It comes from both the left and the right ... premature assumptions about people's intentions. Wish we all would take the time to listen more and consider what people are really trying to say.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post

I wish everyone would be more thoughtful about the conclusions we jump to. It comes from both the left and the right ... premature assumptions about people's intentions. Wish we all would take the time to listen more and consider what people are really trying to say.
Thanks, CarolinaMoon1.

And like I said, I acknowledge that my comment that was deleted was low-effort, and without much thought. They could have deleted it just for that alone, and I'd be content. But for them to tell me what my intentions were, what I was feeling when I typed the comment, to dictate the kind of person I truly am deep inside...well, that is insulting to me. I won't even kill a spider, let alone wish death upon someone willy nilly. On the other hand, if they did something awful, and that is what the crime warrants under our laws, then I may feel otherwise, just as the prosecutor who tries them and the jury that convicts them does. Are they also death advocates?

Old 07-06-2018, 03:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Um, no.

Quote:
I wish everyone would be more thoughtful about the conclusions we jump to.
It goes for the OP as well, who admitted he posted something stupid.

How is a forum moderator supposed to know the OP is (as he claims) a good guy who is just kidding?

He did "advocate death." He said the guy should be hanged.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
At what point did we get here, where you can't so much as express an opinion (based on fact/law, mind you) without being shut down and censored?
How did we get here?

For one, we got here when news reporters started openly calling people Nazis on their Twitter feeds without any proof, when the word "Nazi," which used to be understood to be one of the worst kinds of things you could call someone, is batted around without any thought, much the same as your comment about HANGING SOMEONE you don't even know.

The real issue here is that you don't want the rules applied to you because, well, you're one of the so-called good guys while those who disagree with you are mere "SJWs."

Old 07-06-2018, 03:42 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times
So much cry-babying on the left about this administration is mind-boggling.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:43 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
How did we get here?

For one, we got here when news reporters started openly calling people Nazis on their Twitter feeds without any proof, when the word "Nazi," which used to be understood to be one of the worst kinds of things you could call someone, is batted around without any thought, much the same as your comment about HANGING SOMEONE you don't even know.

The real issue here is that you don't want the rules applied to you because, well, you're one of the so-called good guys while those who disagree with you are mere "SJWs."

right, babe!

Old 07-06-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
right, babe!
And you know that I am about as far from an "SJW" as you can get I just hate hypocrisy.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:46 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post

My comment was deleted shortly after by the mod squad, and I was banned from the sub for "advocating death". So, for simply acknowledging that the penalty under US Federal Law for treason is death (or in less severe cases, fine and prison time), I was banned and told I was advocating for the death of someone.
For openers, treason is not defined in any "U S Federal Law" of which I am aware; It is addressed in the U S Constitution (Article 3, Section 3), and the Congress alone is empowered to define it, and set the punishment for it.

The Lincoln assassination conspirators were executed not for treason, but for murder (although the creation of a special military tribunal casts some doubt on the legitimacy of the process, IMHO), And the Rosenbergs (atomic spies) were executed for espionage, under a law first passed in 1917 -- thirty-plus years before the case.

This provision is in place precisely in order to impede a rush to judgement by a lynch mob -- such as our current gaggle of "Social Justice" Nazis.

Here's a relevant link: http://www.foxnews.com/story/2001/12...h-treason.html

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-06-2018 at 04:30 PM..

Old 07-06-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Um, no.

It goes for the OP as well, who admitted he posted something stupid.

How is a forum moderator supposed to know the OP is (as he claims) a good guy who is just kidding?

He did "advocate death." He said the guy should be hanged.
The penalty for treason was death, and traditionally that was by way of hanging or gun squad. I was simply alluding to that. You do realize that the death penalty is still on the books in several states, right? Do you also feel strongly about juries who convict and advise the death penalty, or prosecutors who prosecute to the full extent of those laws? Because, if so, then this may just be a philosophical difference on your part. And no, I don’t necessarily agree with the death penalty. That said, it is still the law in several jurisdictions and advocating it in certain cases doesn’t make you any more “evil” than the prosecutor or jury doing their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies