Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 03:07 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,188 posts, read 13,477,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
1.) Build a house
In the UK you need to submit plans to the Local Authority/Council Planning Department and not the Government.

Quote:
2.) public locomotion
You obviously need to pass a driving test for safety reasons and to be insured, whilst even without the Government you would need to pay for the upkeep of roads. As for public transport it's often a mix of public and private and is usually run on a local level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow
3.) fish or hunt your food
You can sea fish in the UK without a licence, however a licence is needed for rivers in order to stop over fishing and to protect stocks. Whilst you apply for a gun licence to your local police force in the UK.

Quote:
4.) get married
You get a marriage certificate in the UK showing you are married, just as you do a birth certificate or indeed death certificate. Does this mean you need Government permission to be born or die.

Quote:
5.) collect rain water
It's perfectly legal to collect rain water in most countries including the UK.

Quote:
6.) self medicate
It all depends on what you mean by self medicate. You can use what you like within reason, however the opoid crisis in the US shows why the mass use of certain drugs is not a good idea.

Quote:
7.) kill yourself
Any one can kill themselves, however if you mean euthanasia it is legal in certain countries, and you can legally travel to places such as Switzerland, Belgium, Netherland etc in order to die in a clinic.

Quote:
Now repeat after me... I am FREE.
Other than living in a state of anarchy with no laws, people are very free in most western democracies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 04:55 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you do realize that there are good reasons for these things right? it wouldnt do to build a house that collapses or burns down around you now would it? as for hunting or fishing, again this is wildlife management, and it is a good thing to make sure game animals are not over harvested.

get married? its as simple as filling out the necessary paper work.

self medicate? are you qualified to get your own prescriptions? do you understand the intricacies of drug interactions? do you know what medications are properly used for high blood pressure? diabetes? etc.

you want to kill yourself? you dont need governent help for that, or have you become a big government guy?

public locomotion? there is no right to drive, so the government can regulate that as they see fit.

collect rainwater? you really need the government to tell you what rain barrel you need? do you know how to decontaminate water?
Maybe the people you hang around with are complete morons who can't put 2 and 2 together but in the adult world we don't need governments forced "help".

Old 07-08-2018, 04:56 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
true the federal government cannot regulate marriage, but the STATE governments CAN.
The Federal government just did regulate marriage.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:02 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,907,598 times
Most laws are targeted at the lowest common denominator. The village idiot. The sociopath. While most of us would drive safely if there were no speed limits or DUI laws, there are a&&holes who will not and will endanger the rest of us, including our children.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:07 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,585,685 times
{shrug} don’t ya’ll get tired of beating the same old dead horse? I’m just askin’

Old 07-08-2018, 05:54 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,046,123 times
Well at least a man can marry another man, then become a woman, than adopt children,

you get some and you give some, but overall humanity is WINNING!!!!

Old 07-08-2018, 06:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
since i am not government, nor am i unable to do things for myself, i dont need you to look out for me, and i am certainly not going to look out for you. if you choose to be stupid, be my guest.

Point me to our Master.... I need to ask for privilege.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
1) have you ever worked for any taxpayer funded agency? federal, city, state, military etc...
2) Have you received, do you receive, or expect to receive any taxpayer funded assistance? ie: Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Unemployment benefits, food stamps, disability, rental assistance, Veterans benefits...etc?

NOPE. Never. I don't even pay into Social Security. Never have(something self employed can opt out of, like the city workers of Galveston have.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I'm free to still be happy and not think about a lot of things that do not really affect me.
What if I want to do it my way?

Old 07-08-2018, 06:20 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
You can do all those things without regulation in Somalia. Go for it.
So arguing in extremes again, huh. Is that all liberals can do?

Quote:
Reductio ad absurdum is the technique of reducing an argument or hypothesis to absurdity, by pushing the argument's premises or conclusions to their logical limits and showing how ridiculous the consequences would be, thus disproving or discrediting the argument.
We must have government regulate and control almost every facet of life or live in total anarchy? Nothing in between?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies