Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 07:50 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
1.) Build a house
2.) public locomotion
3.) fish or hunt your food
4.) get married
5.) collect rain water
6.) self medicate
7.) kill yourself

Now repeat after me... I am FREE.
You are FREE... to leave!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 07:54 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
1.) Build a house
2.) public locomotion
4.) get married
5.) collect rain water
6.) self medicate
7.) kill yourself

Come on, BB.

You're bein' way too sensitive.

Ya gotta do better than that.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
1.) Build a house
2.) public locomotion
4.) get married
5.) collect rain water
6.) self medicate
7.) kill yourself

State rights and laws. Don’t like the laws, take it up with your state instead of an anonymous online forum.

Given one out of eight Americans, 12.7 %, is an alcoholic, it does not appear self medication is illegal anywhere.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:56 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
marriage is NOT a right, it is a privilege, same with driving a car. same with building a house, among many other things. what amazes me is that people out there complain that the government regulates everything too much, except guns. too much regulation on marriage. really? all you need to is fill out a form, and in some states get a blood test. after that you can get married if you like.

you want to drive a car? fine, you need a drives license. for that you fill out a form, take a test to indicate how well you understand the basic rules of the road, and in some cases you take a short skills test, and you et your license if you pass.

you want to build a house? thats fine, there are certain rules you have to follow, like submitting your building plans for approval, since there are certain building codes you have to meet. and you cant just build anywhere you like either, for instance it would be stupid to build in the middle of a dry river bed now wouldnt it?

warhorse may have a home that has stood the test of time, and that is great. homes built back then were done by people with a conscience and an eye towards quality work. today however there are builders that would just slap up anything in a shoddy manner with no regulations. so how would you feel if you bought one of these houses, spending upwards of $100,000 to buy it, only to have it collapse around you in a couple of years, and no one to accept responsibility for the shoddy work.

you have to understand that we are a nation of laws. we have certain rights codified in our constitution, but they dont include building you own house, driving a car, or other conveyance, or any of the other things listed in the OP.

you do not have unlimited rights.
That reminded me of something my dad would scream out while we were kids riding in the car with him.

"J**** C*****! They'll give anybody a license.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:59 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
State rights and laws. Don’t like the laws, take it up with your state instead of an anonymous online forum.

Given one out of eight Americans, 12.7 %, is an alcoholic, it does not appear self medication is illegal anywhere.
Yeah, and if they get caught drunk driving they get their license taken away. Oppression man! Actually I know people with multiple DUIs and they drive without a license or insurance..true freedom fighters!

Old 07-08-2018, 08:48 AM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Maybe the people you hang around with are complete morons who can't put 2 and 2 together but in the adult world we don't need governments forced "help".
Ditto. He simply does not get it. He should come down to Florida. I have watched our government go against common sense, and the will of the people by approving a massive 6000 plus family home gated community going up in the acreage in West Palm Beach. Experts tell them that this is going to cause way too much problems with over crowding, congested roads and pollution. I hate to see what this place is like when a massive hurricane hits. Either way, the all so knowing government is also a very corrupt one, and they only seen dollar signs, instead of the negative impact such a project will cause. At one time, it was law that property in this area could not be subdivided no less than an acre and a quarter. This was a contract drawn up and passed by the people who built this community. But here come big West Palm Beach government and tosses the contract aside.

Regulations and licenses and all of that other mess is useless when someone who is reckless and careless can just pay off a judge to wipe his DUI off of his record, or pay a building inspector to pass off a building that was built incorrectly, or to give contracts to road rebuilding companies just because the owner is the husband of the city councilor's sister, even though he has complaints a mile long.

Just have to say, what about the water problem in Flint, Michigan. How did government regulations and oversight work out for those people?

Old 07-08-2018, 08:50 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
We are also FREE to comment, protest, vote, and try to change things for the better. If you want fascism, just accept every new reduction of your rights, and freedoms that just comes down the pike. You are free to leave too.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:52 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You are free to leave and set up your communist utopia elsewhere...I hear Somalia is nice this time of year

Old 07-08-2018, 08:57 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

But, it's OK to complain about Trump on here, but not over regulation that's been going on for many, many decades, but mainly since the 1960's? The Feds over regulate too as do state and local governments, and we do take it up with them, and we do vote. Guess only liberal drivel is allowed? Right?

Quote:
What the heck does that have to do with anything? Maybe seek help?

Old 07-08-2018, 08:57 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
1.) Build a house
2.) public locomotion
4.) get married
5.) collect rain water
6.) self medicate
7.) kill yourself

Sorry, I prefer to live in North Korea to having no regulation of those kinds of acts. Or at least Singapore. Ok, being serious now, am I to take it that you agree with every syllable of these lyrics? Just curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWxyNExKhHQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies