Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:54 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,687,106 times

Advertisements

If it were a white woman, would we have to describe that or is it only minorities that need to be label by their race?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 02:09 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,089,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

That's an odd distinction to make. Gangs are totally racial. Many if not most are organized along racial lines and protect racial turf.
I think their making a distinction between a Hispanic and Black gang fighting, and a Black gang just hitting Hispanic gang members because of race and vice versa. Often if it is the second case it's likely violence not limited only to gangs. Not every time a black person shoots a Hispanic person and vice versa it's about racial violence. I mean lots of black criminals rob people in the Houston area and outside of Asian business owners their not sticking a gun in your face because they're on some racial superiority BS, they are doing it because criminals are criminals. For every non-black victim of a crime by a black person their's like 5 victims that were Black... This same thing applies to gangs. In fact in many cities including Chicago and Houston and most U.S cities outside of California/LA Black gangs and Hispanic gangs don't even fight on even a fraction of a percent the gang violence is intra-racial although in many occasions these gangs border each other.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:13 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,089,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Houston might be diverse but it's hardly integrated.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/loc...d-10935311.php
Well, Houston is pretty integrated compared to most U.S cities. As long as different racial groups have vastly different GDP per capita and household incomes in general it will be hard for a city that isn't like Sacramento or essentially had all it's growth during modern times to be integrated. Houston is likely the most integrated major city, Major being anything bigger than Denver essentially.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:35 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,776,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I think their making a distinction between a Hispanic and Black gang fighting, and a Black gang just hitting Hispanic gang members because of race and vice versa. Often if it is the second case it's likely violence not limited only to gangs. Not every time a black person shoots a Hispanic person and vice versa it's about racial violence. I mean lots of black criminals rob people in the Houston area and outside of Asian business owners their not sticking a gun in your face because they're on some racial superiority BS, they are doing it because criminals are criminals. For every non-black victim of a crime by a black person their's like 5 victims that were Black... This same thing applies to gangs. In fact in many cities including Chicago and Houston and most U.S cities outside of California/LA Black gangs and Hispanic gangs don't even fight on even a fraction of a percent the gang violence is intra-racial although in many occasions these gangs border each other.
Actually that's a myth. Non-blacks comprise the majority of victims when blacks are the perpetrators, but yes, of course it is true that there are motivations other than race.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:37 AM

11,876 posts, read 5,847,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why do everyone have to be lumped into one team or the other. The right wingers have a nasty habit of doing that with everything under the sun, like here assuming the attacker must belong to a team based on skin color. Lot of things happen that have nothing to do with any team. Someone else could argue her rhetoric would place her in the other team.

It shows how deep the division is in this country. It has never been worse.
Excuse me - this board shows that Liberals seem to be doing that more so than Republicans. They find any thing to complain about and blame it on Trump and then you have the nerve to say right wingers have a nasty habit?

These boards are really a joke - just as they were when Obama was president - but they've gotten worse. Each side despises the oppositions candidate and many here can't have a sensible discussion on whether an act they commit is for the good of the American people or not because it just becomes a name calling and mud slinging rant.

I stopped coming to the boards for while as there was no discussing when Obama was President - Democrats supported him lock, stock and barrel. Actual discussions were far and few between and none of us could do anything about it but look forward to the next Presidential election.

Dems should instead focus on finding a viable candidate for the next election instead of whining about the past and crucifying anyone who disagrees with them. The bulk of society could give 2 beans who is president as long as they are collecting a paycheck and able to feed their family and pay their bills - but they do get sick of all the whining and blame game as we're adults now ( well some of us ) and don't play schoolyard games. You just alienate the very people you need in your corner.

I voted for Trump and at this point am happy he has the balls to stick up for the American people. He can be a jerk sometime - but the good outweighs the bad. I'll vote for him again only because the left with their outrageous policies and whining are irritating - they need to be put in a corner for a time out.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:25 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,683,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
The ghetto thugs attack a defenseless 92 year old man. They are hardly on the same team.
It seems to be more about reacting impulsively, with one having aggressive, violent tendencies, no matter the background of the person bumping into another. Considering we have one in charge, having by example, unleashed aggressiveness in others, this seems to be another example of one thinking that this is acceptable. Then, it may not be, but just a person having had hostile tendencies all along.

This, I think comes down to how one is raised, their home environment and developing mental issues, no matter a person's nationality. (Though I know there are those if within a group of, who may have a tendency to gang up upon others, additionally being partly sociologically-related. I see there was a racial slur made also, which would not occur everywhere).

It's strange to think how, if he had only just bumped into someone else or been in a different sort of crowd, how there would likely have been a mild exchange of "Oh, excuse me", and "Oh, no problem" in response.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 07-12-2018 at 03:58 AM..

Old 07-12-2018, 03:37 AM

251 posts, read 148,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Excuse me - this board shows that Liberals seem to be doing that more so than Republicans. They find any thing to complain about and blame it on Trump and then you have the nerve to say right wingers have a nasty habit?

These boards are really a joke - just as they were when Obama was president - but they've gotten worse. Each side despises the oppositions candidate and many here can't have a sensible discussion on whether an act they commit is for the good of the American people or not because it just becomes a name calling and mud slinging rant.

I stopped coming to the boards for while as there was no discussing when Obama was President - Democrats supported him lock, stock and barrel. Actual discussions were far and few between and none of us could do anything about it but look forward to the next Presidential election.

Dems should instead focus on finding a viable candidate for the next election instead of whining about the past and crucifying anyone who disagrees with them. The bulk of society could give 2 beans who is president as long as they are collecting a paycheck and able to feed their family and pay their bills - but they do get sick of all the whining and blame game as we're adults now ( well some of us ) and don't play schoolyard games. You just alienate the very people you need in your corner.

I voted for Trump and at this point am happy he has the balls to stick up for the American people. He can be a jerk sometime - but the good outweighs the bad. I'll vote for him again only because the left with their outrageous policies and whining are irritating - they need to be put in a corner for a time out.
Sounds to me you're admitting division has gotten a lot worse with the Divider/golfer/liar-in-Chief in office. And that last paragraph shows you're a part of the problem--voting in a way to ONLY to stick it to ppl you don't like or disagree with.

Anyway, for the record, I'm black and find the woman and ppl who attacked this man fully deserve justice to the fullest extent of the law (and so does every other black person I know).

I absolutely *hate* unwarranted violence and crimes against minors and senior citizens, or anybody for that matter. (Well, um, regarding Trump supporters.....I would need a little help with that one, but I'm working on it!).

Old 07-12-2018, 05:39 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,683,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I hope this cruel woman doesn't have children. I shudder to think how a person who would beat a 92 year old would treat helpless children.
Well see, that is related, how some are not really good parents and should not have children. A child of such an emotionally-reactive person will grow up affected by this, ending up with their own problems. With many emotionally disturbed people not recognizing their own issues and getting help for, they are problematic to others.

No matter the psychological makeup of a person, pretty much everybody has sex, many times without protection, commonly resulting in pregnancy...and then, there ya go. Many times this leads to some attempting to parent, raising others dysfunctionally, creating those who cannot function well within society, them ending up in negative situations, poverty, turning to crime, ending up in prisons, etc., (this not being limited to a particular race). So, it never ends, some people contributing to the problem. (At least there are some consciously choosing to not have children. Life is tough enough).

Old 07-12-2018, 06:26 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,372,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why do everyone have to be lumped into one team or the other. The right wingers have a nasty habit of doing that with everything under the sun, like here assuming the attacker must belong to a team based on skin color. Lot of things happen that have nothing to do with any team. Someone else could argue her rhetoric would place her in the other team.

It shows how deep the division is in this country. It has never been worse.

Come on Finn, you're better than this. You're trying to spin this attack into a ding on right wingers? There have been numerous left wingers that have posted links to this very incident, and are blaming Trump for this attack. They never read the article they shared, they just knew that it was the result of Trump's rhetoric. Sometimes, there are just bad people, that do bad things, for no reason other than they are just bad people.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:34 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,844,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Can you PLEASE slow down and read my post?

I DO NOT WANT any article to say "black woman", "white man", "Asian Transvestite" or any other racial association implying a larger group is somehow responsible.

I gave you SPECIFIC examples of how the press is not running any of those types of titles....except for in the case of white people.

Then you blame us for complaining about it? Really?

If that is the case then you're ok with racially targeted titles as long as it's white people.

Is that true?

I read what you wrote. My point was all media is racially divisive. That is how they make money - polarize and make people upset and wanting more polarization and controversey.

Point is that it is silly to complain about media. I don't care about the titles of articles. I actually rarely read them and especially don't think they are accurate - I read the actual article itself. IMO people focus too much on titles and titles are usually misleading and/or inaccurate.

I also don't feel whites are victimized by titles of the media any more so than other groups of people. I think too often people try to find something that they feel victimized about - including black people and I'm black. And I think it is funny that many of the posters around here (not you) trying to imply that whites as a whole are treated poorly in the press via titles of articles, are the same people who say that black people are not when blacks are called negative things in titles that are not warranted from the actual article.

I'll note a white man was recently found dead in a creek that goes through a black neighborhood in the area where I live.

Most of the news media titles just said "Body pulled from creek" or "Man found dead in creek" or "Coroner identifies body found in creek." So people I know who lived in/near that neighborhood wondered who it was as they didn't say the name for a few days and they were wondering if it was a (black) person that they knew.

Turns out it was a white man and many black people around here took "offense" (stupidly IMO) about the media not saying that it was a white man and specifically a "white supremacist." The body had swastika tattoos and social media users discovered this man's page after he was identified and he had lots of pictures showing off his racist tattoos, he spoke of recently getting out of prison a few months earlier (something that the black people were VERY upset that the media didn't mention since they feel the criminal background of black victims are always dragged through the mud), he spoke of being involved in the Aryan nation in prison and used racial slurs in his comments.

They felt that the media treated this man in a very respectful way versus black people whose bodies were found and they plastered their whole life story - especially the bad parts in the media.

IMO that is what media does - they pick and chose what they feel will sell well to their viewers. I don't feel victimized or the need to whine about media representation/titles because IMO all media is 90% lie 10% truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies