Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 09:24 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,137,355 times

Advertisements

Fedbook?

NSA and Facebook Work Together
Google and Facebook Discussed Secret Systems for the U.S. Government to Spy on Users

PRISM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 06:09 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,468,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You realize you can hang out with your normal friends &
Still have FB friends right? It seems like you think you can only have one or the other. I really don’t get the FB hate.

I'm sorry, I Honestly have no clue what you're trying to say. If a person is a friend, they are a friend regardless of medium, method of communication, location, age, sex, religion, political beliefs, eye color, morning stool consistency, etc.... If they are only a friend because you're both on FB, then that's no friend.

As for what you call hate, it's more disgust at what people are willing to give away for Nothing in return. But I'm old, from a time when it was common to protect your personal information and not just hand it willy-nilly to anyone. I mean, logically, I KNOW that addicts (yes, it is an addiction and scientifically proven) will do absolutely anything to get their fix, but I still struggle to understand how it is that so many people became so easily addicted as to give up Everything about themselves (from an information perspective). You're selling yourself to advertisers to pay for the addiction, and along the way just hand over everything to anyone else Zuck can make a few bucks from ~ be that the US or some foreign national government. I do get a chuckle out of the thought that those who blast all over FB their hate for the Gov. have given that same Gov absolutely everything. So, hate? No, I don't hate FB. Disgust? Yes, I'm disgusted by what it is.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:25 AM

17,034 posts, read 12,655,489 times
That is what I use it for
plus
hobbies
plus
local for sale groups

No matter how fake news or crazy, I do not respond to the political stupidity.
Obama is neither Marxist nor dictator
Trump is neither Fascist nor dictator
Both are the turds of humanity. Along with most of congress.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,910,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Should we go back and just use Facebook as it was designed for? Meet friends and share stories about your life and pets.

Right now we all seem to know which side of the political aisle, most people are and the amount of ads on Facebook is like it is an advertising magazine.

I, personally enjoyed Facebook how it was and dislike what Facebook has become.

Most of my friends and family already have eliminated Facebook from visiting the Website as often as they did.

I’m wondering how many people outside of my family and friends have started to leave Facebook for a daily visit and only check now and then?

Pushing one sided political views and being caught, doesn’t seem to help Facebook to be as popular as they once was.
Once middle- aged and older people began to embrace FB en mass, people began to switch to other forms of social media.

Instagram ( owned by FB) and YouTube ( owned by Google) have been gaining market share.

I find all forms of social media to be a waste of my time.

To each their own.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
If you guys are having political wars on FB, that’s your problem. I’ve connected with some cool people because of FB. I have the ability to not war over politics.
You mean you choose to take personal responsibility for your viewership/ engagement? What a concept.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Agreed. Many of the unhinged crazy people, both liberals and conservatives, are very active on FB. Gives them a place to rant.
Not too different than this forum.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:47 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,155,616 times
I think we should abandon it, as I don't see it ever getting any better. But that's a personal choice. If someone still enjoys it, I think they should still use it, of course.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Took me 2 weeks, way back in 2008-ish, for me to realize Facebook was a waste. It offered nothing, so I deleted it and went on with life. My wife fell for the "re-connect with old friends!" line, only to realize that after the initial connection, you had nothing in common and no reason to BE connected. If those "old friends" were actually friends, you would have already been connected. She purged and kept only "family", took a year or so to realize that just because there's a family connection doesn't mean the people are good/sane/have ANY sort of foot-in-mouth filter when posting online. So, she eventually disabled her account.... it's been about 2 years now, and she recently said (in a conversation similar to this thread, with friends, in person) that she misses absolutely Nothing about it.

People who Want to be in your life, will be in your life regardless of facebook. I'd hazard to say that by making it harder (no "one post for all" BS), you'll be rewarded with Better connections with people. It'll be Fewer people, yes, but I'd rather have 1 actual friend than a billion "internet" friends. They're only after your "likes" to feed their dopamine addiction anyway....
No shortage of people whose self esteem seems to be derived from the number of social media friends/followers and likes/ thumbs- up, they have.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,318,676 times
It should be whatever Zuckerberg wants it to be. Don’t like it? Close your account.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:35 PM

505 posts, read 370,597 times
FB is like one big high school popularity contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies