Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 09:06 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,037 times

Advertisements

U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez said in an interview it’s clear to him the state’s attorney did “the right thing.”

Some people have no respect for the first amendment. It will only get worse in brown America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 09:06 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,275,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You can be against hate crimes and oppose the violence in Chicago .

Why do you think there is one or the other.

In Chicago -- sadly the crimes are not 'hate crimes' as per the legal definition. It is tragic.

I thought Trump was going to fix it.

so violence is not a hate crime? LOL.

I didn't know what gang bangers do is an act of love. I guess they don't really mean it. They are just misunderstood.

well if Obama couldn't fix it in 8 years and he is from Chicago then don't blame it on Trump now.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:09 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,395,954 times
What he did was free speech, not a crime.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:09 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
so when BLM and ANTIFA or any protesters VERBALLY INSULTS the POLICE and the political opposition in public they should be arrested when you don't agree with what they say.

so when protesters verbally insults police and call them PIGS in their faces, they should be arrested and charge with a hate crime?.....you really want to go that route?
First of all -- hate crime is not just someone being aggressive to someone in public. In legal context it has very specific meaning.

Hate crime laws in the United States are state and federal laws intended to protect against hate crimes (also known as bias crimes) motivated by enmity or animus against a protected class of persons. Although state laws vary, current statutes permit federal prosecution of hate crimes committed on the basis of a person's protected characteristics of race, religion, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability. The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ)/FBI, as well as campus security authorities, are required to collect and publish hate crime statistics.

That aside..... When violent protesters of any kind -- left, right, non-committal are verbally aggressive to police or others, they should be dealt with and usually are.

I have never objected to protesters being arrested or charged.

IF this man had yelled pig and walked away -- he wouldn't have been charged.

He berated this woman for some time...and refused to leave her alone until another officer came.

And yes if someone is standing in front of an officer yelling their face -- that officer has the right and the power to arrest them.

I find it fascinating that for many here the fact I think this is a hate crime worthy of a conviction, means i don't support other acts of verbal or physical assault or don't want something to be done about crime in cities like Chicago .

It makes no logical sense to me.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:11 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,275,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
She felt threatened -- he came towards her.

interesting........so when Black protesters does the same things to cops and cops are being verbally assaulted then the cops can take ACTION.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/photos/bla...image-44402849

Old 07-13-2018, 09:14 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999
so when protesters verbally insults police and call them PIGS in their faces, they should be arrested and charge with a hate crime?.....you really want to go that route?
You forget that there has to be an underlying crime. If you punch someone in the face that is a crime. It can be escalated to hate crime if it is motivated by and against a listed class of person,

If "verbally insults police and call them PIGS in their faces" is a crime in itself then the protester can be charged with that. Charges can escalate to a hate crime if is motivated by and the police fall into one of these categories "actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or national origin"

In Illinois for example: "A person commits hate crime when, by reason of the actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or national origin of another individual or group of individuals, regardless of the existence of any other motivating factor or factors, he or she commits assault, battery, aggravated assault, intimidation, stalking, cyberstalking, misdemeanor theft, criminal trespass to residence, misdemeanor criminal damage to property, criminal trespass to vehicle, criminal trespass to real property, mob action, disorderly conduct, transmission of obscene messages, harassment by telephone, or harassment through electronic communications."

Old 07-13-2018, 09:16 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
interesting........so when Black protesters does the same things to cops and cops are being verbally assaulted then the cops can take ACTION.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/photos/bla...image-44402849

You asked me and I told you -- absolutely.

I don't care what color they are.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:18 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
You forget that there has to be an underlying crime. If you punch someone in the face that is a crime. It can be escalated to hate crime if it is motivated by and against a listed class of person,
what was the underlying crime in this particular instance?

Old 07-13-2018, 09:20 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga
what was the underlying crime in this particular instance?
"Timothy Trybus was initially charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct and misdemeanor assault before his charges were upgraded."

Old 07-13-2018, 09:22 AM

1,239 posts, read 511,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I was commenting on the person who said it was a hate crime because the man hated her country of birth. The ignorance of that comment was alarming on many levels.
Maybe you should read the line after the one you bolded.
The idiot thought Puerto Rico was another country, but he was hating on the USA. He's the typical Trump supporter which is why it makes sense that some on this forum are also confused.

He committed the crimes of harassment and disorderly conduct. His crimes where based on his hatred of the woman's country of origin.
The fact that he was too stupid to realize that the US is her country will not exonerate him, unless his lawyers are able to convince the judge that he's too stupid to stand trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies