Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 06:42 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Well I mentioned Atwater in post #1, and there is no doubt of his affiliation with a Southern strategy of sorts. The other affiliate was Kevin Phillips, then a GOP operative and now a left wing writer.

The question is whether the Southern strategy went beyond these two. There is no evidence that it did, and plenty that it did not. Nixon's 1969 inaugural alone should nix it. He knew that he would face re-election in four years, yet he stridently declared for racial equality and integration. Then he governed that way once in office. It would have made NO sense if he had just won on a 'Southern strategy' that presumably he would have to use again in 4 years. Then there is the denial from Harry S. Dent Sr. who said, 'this administration does not have a Southern strategy.

The Southern Strategy was thus a myth. For something to be a strategy in a presidential campaign, don't you have to have more than 2 people participating?
stop with the lies. Kevin Phillips is not a "left wing" writer- just because someone isn't a Republican doesn't make them left wing. YOU are the reason this country is in such a mess, because of this type of asinine extremism.

And yes, there's plenty of evidence that the Southern Strategy was far beyond those two, but you continue to cite your own previous thread on the same topic of proof of your claims, which is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 07:25 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Well I mentioned Atwater in post #1, and there is no doubt of his affiliation with a Southern strategy of sorts. The other affiliate was Kevin Phillips, then a GOP operative and now a left wing writer.

The Southern Strategy was thus a myth. For something to be a strategy in a presidential campaign, don't you have to have more than 2 people participating?
And so Reagan started his campaign in Philadelphia, MS......for what reason?

He wasn't a Southerner - quite the opposite, a product of Hollyweird and S. Cal.

He used all the dog whistles that Atwater mentioned like "states rights".....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reagan...ghts%22_speech

"Reagan was the first presidential candidate ever to appear at the fair, and he knew exactly what he was doing when he told that crowd, "I believe in states' rights." Reagan apologists have every right to be ashamed of that appearance by their hero, but they have no right to change the meaning of it, which was unmistakable"

I could write a book on the many other continuations of the Southern Strategy...and when the words and ads are broadcast to millions more than 2 people are involved.

Note - i could write that book just with basic history I read. If I researched it would probably go into many volumes.

Summary - the thread is dead wrong. It is not a liberal myth. The strategy of using race and other divisive issues to get elected is part and parcel of the modern Republican party (Nixon on...I would not charge IKE with it).

It is probably bigger today than ever - because the GOP is not more "out" in terms of their racism than I remember in my adult life.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:31 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
This is really a false equivalency. The entire country is less overtly racist than it was in the 50s, not just the South. Federal law has mandated anti-racist policies. (Examples: Federally enforced school desegregation and desegregation of public facilities, Federal housing laws, etc.) The South had to be drawn along kicking and screaming (and some areas of the North, too.) So my thought is that the South became more Republican in order to fight that tendency toward equal rights. The South is not more Republican because it supports equal rights; it is more Republican as a reaction to equal rights.
I reiterate, the south stopped being grotesquely racist when it became heavily republican.

Facts are stubborn things. -John Adams-

Old 07-17-2018, 07:33 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I reiterate, the south stopped being grotesquely racist when it became heavily republican.

Facts are stubborn things. -John Adams-
And what source, prey-do-tell, are you referencing this “fact†from?

Old 07-17-2018, 07:33 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem with the conservatives is they only want to pick and choose when government should be involved. Ie the big government in the bedroom.
Opposition to abortion has nothing to do with an interest in regulating sex. We oppose it for the same reason we oppose other types of murder. People don’t have a right to murder other humans for convenience. There is absolutely zero contradiction in a belief in small government and opposition to abortion.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:40 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

He wasn't a Southerner - quite the opposite, a product of Hollyweird and S. Cal.

"Reagan was the first presidential candidate ever to appear at the fair, and he knew exactly what he was doing when he told that crowd, "I believe in states' rights." Reagan apologists have every right to be ashamed of that appearance by their hero, but they have no right to change the meaning of it, which was unmistakable"

I could write a book on the many other continuations of the Southern Strategy...and when the words and ads are broadcast to millions more than 2 people are involved.

Note - i could write that book just with basic history I read. If I researched it would probably go into many volumes.

Summary - the thread is dead wrong. It is not a liberal myth. The strategy of using race and other divisive issues to get elected is part and parcel of the modern Republican party (Nixon on...I would not charge IKE with it).

It is probably bigger today than ever - because the GOP is not more "out" in terms of their racism than I remember in my adult life.
Is not a Hispanic strategy also racist?

Old 07-18-2018, 10:23 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
stop with the lies. Kevin Phillips is not a "left wing" writer- just because someone isn't a Republican doesn't make them left wing. YOU are the reason this country is in such a mess, because of this type of asinine extremism.

And yes, there's plenty of evidence that the Southern Strategy was far beyond those two, but you continue to cite your own previous thread on the same topic of proof of your claims, which is ridiculous.
stop with the lies yourself. You can label Phillips however you wish. He's certainly not right, and to me he is more left-wing-conspiracy nut than anything. In particular his Bush Derangement Syndrome which goes back not just to the usual nutball theories about Prescott Bush, but one step more to George H Walker (W's great grandfather).
https://www.nationalreview.com/2004/...ter-schweizer/

For me to label this as 'left wing' is hardly a 'lie' is it? Be sure to look of the definition of 'lie' before responding.

If there's plenty of evidence of the Southern strategy, BRING IT. I cite factual information about 5 Democratic Southern segregationist senators. The way to attack it would be to refute the factual info, not to point out that I posted it before. But you can't do that, can you.

You lost this one.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:40 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Actually Reagan did not campaign in Phildelphia MS. It was at the Neshoba County fairgrounds, several miles away. Mike Dukakis also held a rally there when he ran in 1992. Was he therefore trying to appeal to white racists? No because he had that 'D' next to his name and therefore must have been innocent, viewed through your political lens. Am I right?

And that was not the start of Reagan's campaign. It actually started in NYC.
https://www.redstate.com/dan_mclaugh...iladelphia-ms/

Geez and for pity's sake--states' rights is in the US Constitution. Reagan had been a staunch proponent of the concept going back to his days as California governor. And you somehow think this makes him racist?

When everything is racist, nothing is racist, and you provide cover for the real racism that still exists among us.

Summary: the thread has gone through 12 pages and 100 posts. Many have claimed that Southern strategy was no myth. The arguments amount to logical fallacies, claims of voluminous evidence, with none presented, factually inaccurate claims, and nutty conspiracy theories. The Southern strategy is a myth.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:12 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Is not a Hispanic strategy also racist?
Democrats can't be racist! Especially if the strategy works.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:18 AM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Ah yes, you can listen to that well known Liberal Lee Atwater opining on the GOP Southern Strategy

https://www.thenation.com/article/ex...hern-strategy/
Was that the Lee Atwater who learned his trade at Harry Dent's knee, and taught racially divisive political strategy to KKKarl Rove, who used it in South Carolina in 2008 to shoot John McCain out of the saddle with a whisper campaign about him fathering a black child? The Lee Atwater who was waiting for a brain tumor to end his life and called his political opponents from his death bed to beg their forgiveness? Why yes, I believe so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies