Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 07:27 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Did you ever get a straight answer?
Nah, he is incapable of giving any kind of answer. As he knows nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 07:54 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Let's cut all the BS, and speak in plain English.

The BS is being added by the people who have a theory about the future that has never happened. I am presenting historical events that actually happened.

Quote:
Do YOU actually believe that if efficiencies are achieved, on the scale that you predict, that the people that invent those efficiencies will just GIVE them to society for the greater good? I think you are bound up in some utopian view of the world that just doesn't exist.
No, people can get it out of the trash. Have you ever been in a wealthy neighborhood and see what has been thrown out?

This is what happens in the real world.

https://garbagefinds.com/

Now I suspect you will regret cutting the BS so that you can go back to your fictional future realties.

Cheap capital becomes useful garbage.

Quote:
What I predict is that those inventions, that make productivity (without much human contribution) soar, will be controlled by the ultra-rich, the ones who can afford to invest in them. I predict that the trends of the last 30-years, where income inequality expands, to the favor of those who have power and money, will grow exponentially.
Nice predictions. Its compete BS with no historical precedent. Greek fire was amazing in how long it lasted. Most things lasted as long as cannon .

The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, vol. 12 - Online Library of Liberty
Among the implements of destruction, he studied with peculiar care the recent and tremendous discovery of the [14] Latins; and his artillery surpassed whatever had yet appeared in the world. A founder of cannon, a Dane or Hungarian,25 who had been almost starved in the Greek service, deserted to the Moslems, and was liberally entertained by the Turkish sultan
Quote:
Do you REALLY believe that those who control this "capital" you keep speaking of won't exploit it? Do you think they'll share their economic reward, and pay to keep the people who are no longer needed fed, clothed and healthy? I don't. Hell, in the past couple decades, we can't even get those people to agree to give basic healthcare, and you all the sudden think that everyone is going to have a Kumbaya moment and we'll all live happily like a bunch of commune-living hippies? Nice thoughts, I don't think it will happen.
I think they will exploit it and swap it it for rent seeking, as they always do. Cannon was used to take cities. You take the cities quickly because they are rent seeking opportunities and cannon is capital which is cannot store wealth or hold anyone hostage for long. . Unfortunately it takes a little basic intelligence to understand the inherent in properties products of human labor and a natural asset.

Quote:
The problem with people like you, who try to use a bunch of big words they don't understand, to show a mastery of a subject that they don't have,
Just because you don't understand French does not mean the French speaker is of a base, low grade intelligence beyond their wits .Its quite the opposite.

Quote:
is that they get lost in their own arguments. The fact is that Ecomonics is as much an art as it is a science.
The appeal to ignorance...Its too complicated ....for you. I suggest you find a subject matter commensurate to your abilities.

Quote:
I don't know if you ever took a course in Econometrics (Multivariable statistics applied to economic conditions), but if you did, you'd understand. It was the hardest course of my entire college existance, BTW. Point being that economic theories need to take into account so many external variables. The one I discussed above is "the human condition" and "human nature" (I guess that's two). There are others.
multivariate analysis.
I am also educated in research methods and inferential statistics. You see you don't have a monopoly . It also appears that I know when to use them.

You know what is hilarious about it ? You are proving my point for me. The reason for analysis is because capital gives tactical advantages which are met, and require constant rearrangement meaning you are talking about the problem with capital ever holding a monopoly.

Complex mathematical models being necessary for economics is complete BS in this argument. Its just like a someone who practices their swing a little in baseball against people who don't . The contest is unequal and the single component for success is practice. No complex models are needed. If you want a good swing practice makes perfect.

However what happens when other people practice? Now one has to seek say a good pitcher to practice against. They might need pine tar , a better bat or shoes. Next thing you know they need to decide whether to hit for power or change their swing against different pitchers and on it goes. So now its complex. Now the path to victory is not clear. The reason is because everyone else is using the same tactics . McDonalds know about how many burgers they are going to sell this year and probably within 5% of the gross. The gross prediction is easy. The exact amount would have to account for many variables.

Quote:
Try to understand the influence of power, rethink how it will REALLY play out. Nobody knows how it will, but you have painted a pretty good portrait of how it WILL NOT play out.
There is not long term power in capital. Only that which is of value but is not a product of human labor.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 07-20-2018 at 08:11 PM..

Old 07-20-2018, 07:59 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The idea was inspired partly by the Giving Pledge, created by Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett, to encourage billionaires to give more than half of their wealth away.

https://www.axios.com/trump-workers-...4e4d6c4ac.html

Interesting idea, something you would expect a democrat administration to do not a republican one.
More daily greatness on display...man am I glad we finally have a great President.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Nah, he is incapable of giving any kind of answer. As he knows nothing.
Typically people who make weak arguments look to form groups with others to find reassurance. You are no exception.

I make grammatical errors, but typically not in one sentence when I am insulting someone else's intelligence.

Try explaining the relevance of being unemployable when one does not need employment. That might help.

I imagine these people were unemployable:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...in-the-amazon/

Were they unemployed?

Old 07-20-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
We do not magically teleport to that spot in the future. We have to go through all the stuff in between. Where simply put costs are dropping (but arent 0), and employment is dropping (which for those employed is fine, but pretty bad for those not employed).
I am currently using garbage to write this BTW. Its an old tower system.

rocessor : 3
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 42
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
stepping : 7

Used to be expensive. How is it possible ?

Quote:
We do not teleport to the future. We are going to have to live through some chaotic times with massive unemployment while we still face basic needs. One great example is...where will you live? Rent isnt going to be free.

Are you illiterate?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/52545738-post124.html
There is no need for income unless one needs to pay an economic rent. The entire problem is that which is valuable but cannot be manufactured. Therefore too much capital or production cannot be the problem.

Again if you can't read, or understand the basic terminology, who is the problem here?

Old 07-20-2018, 08:20 PM

A good explanation of the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ_fnscfprg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zMTRWZMJ-w

Old 07-20-2018, 09:43 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Typically people who make weak arguments look to form groups with others to find reassurance. You are no exception.

I make grammatical errors, but typically not in one sentence when I am insulting someone else's intelligence.

Try explaining the relevance of being unemployable when one does not need employment. That might help.

I imagine these people were unemployable:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...in-the-amazon/

Were they unemployed?
Hmmm, the jungle. Very few people live in an actual jungle these days, climbing trees and chasing monkeys, stuff like that. Although many feel the work world today is a jungle (so to speak) and that a lot of politicians in Washington are a couple of notches below monkeys (insulting the monkeys that). Probably not far off the mark in either case.

The question remains and you are not providing one iota of understanding in the answering. One can legitimately wonder about the intelligence of one who provides such meaningless drivel. One could even think that perhaps it is beyond your comprehension.

So anyway, unemployed and unemployable? You got an answer? Any answer?

I've had experience in both.

You?

Last edited by Weichert; 07-20-2018 at 10:24 PM..

Old 07-24-2018, 09:49 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The unfortunate fact is that many who are being displaced by automation in factories and mines, by online sales in retail, by self-service kiosks in stores, and restaurants, ... are not easily able to transition into jobs that require higher level skill sets.

Someone has to service those robots.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:52 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
More daily greatness on display...man am I glad we finally have a great President.
Obama offered and provided retraining programs for coal miners. They refused. Said they only wanted to be coal miners but still wanted government to pay for their black lung disease. Almost 10% of West Virginia is on Disability.

"As part of the 2016 budget, the Obama White House created something called the POWER Plus plan specifically to help Appalachian communities that were getting left behind because of the rapidly changing energy market. The acronym stands for Partnerships for Opportunity and Workforce and Economic Revitalization, and it proposed a suite of projects including to convert $1 billion from the Abandoned Mine Lands reserve—a pot of money that had been growing since the Carter administration—funding for projects to clean up abandoned mine lands, mostly underground, that are linked to local economic development strategies. For Kentucky alone, that would mean $20 million a year for five years. The money would likely have gone to promote other businesses sectors like manufacturing and tourism and to retrain miners for new jobs like writing computer code.

This potential windfall was met with disinterest, if not skepticism, in the Republican-controlled Congress."

The Obama Idea to Save Coal Country
https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...country-214885
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies