Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 08:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

You don't get to be violent, and then claim to be the victim.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:28 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Here is the thing. You don't KNOW how rattled or dazzed the pushed guy was. You are just making assumptions. Your mind processes things very quickly as that is handled by the subconscious. The subconscious control is also most often when prejudices are revealed.

Neither do you. His head may have been ringing, his body hurting, and his ears hearing a slew of continued threats of violence. Your mind processes things quickly by creating a picture from small samples of observation which is one reason eyewitness testimony is notoriously wrong. Multiple people can view the same scene and "remember" a different color for the car or the clothes or the number of people present, and guess what, none of them are lying.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:31 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Some of you people who insist the shooter should have remained calm enough to just wave the gun around without shooting are dismissing the fact that a second guy was on his way over - probably to *help* the guy who was guilty of assault. Hard to think straight when you've just been blindsided and there are two guys approaching. He's thinking he needs to pull out his gun and shoot and that thought isn't going to be easily or quickly interrupted.

And it's ironic that some of you feel a guy who was just physically assaulted should remain calm when you can't even remain calm posting about it.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Stop your deflecting to SJW BS. You claimed that I was off base and did not know what I was talking about when I said there was a fear of blacks and you came back with all your anecdotes. FAIL! I presented studies that shows BLACKS ARE FEARED. PERIOD. That means that its very plausible that the degree of fear these shooters feel is partly a function of the RACE of the person they are in a confrontation with. Ergo, part of the FEAR is of black people and their super strength, power and violent nature....which leaves the white person with only his gun to mitigate the threat.

All that other Slit you are talking is just deflection and obfuscation. I have STUDIES to back up my claims....YOU HAVE NOTHING.....but your whiteness...and that is enough as far as you are concerned. You have no respect for scholar....just conjecture. Then you try to make such studies THE PROBLEM. It's the studies showing racism....and not the racism....that is the problem in your world.

You want to start another thread? I'm not going to participate in hijacking this one anymore. You can't seem to stick to the subject in any thread you participate in.

Geeze, give it a rest.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:34 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Some of you people who insist the shooter should have remained calm enough to just wave the gun around without shooting are dismissing the fact that a second guy was on his way over - probably to *help* the guy who was guilty of assault. Hard to think straight when you've just been blindsided and there are two guys approaching. He's thinking he needs to pull out his gun and shoot and that thought isn't going to be easily or quickly interrupted.

And it's ironic that some of you feel a guy who was just physically assaulted should remain calm when you can't even remain calm posting about it.

Maybe if he did not have a history of being such an arse hole confronting people at that store that he would not feel as if he was in enemy territory. The guy could have been coming to help him, but if you know you are an arse hole, you know nobody is coming to help you, because you know you made many enemies.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:36 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,920 times
I have pushed people that came up to me to give me a hard time a few times in my life. I'm lucky not to be dead. I think it is important who starts the confrontation. Even if you don't like what somebody is doing - even if what they are doing is completely wrong - you don't always have to confront them.

Here is something that has happened to me several times: Someone comes up to me on the street and asks me for money and blocks my way if I say no. If I try to push him out of the way to get away (which I have done,) does he get to shoot me? I think stand your ground says yes! Obviously he can say he feels threatened by my attempt to get away. He is obviously trying to physically intimidate me, but, as an unarmed person, I don't have any rights. As an armed person, the gun gives him the right to legally take my life. Now if he stabs me to death, he is in big trouble because knives aren't constitutionally protected.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You want to start another thread? I'm not going to participate in hijacking this one anymore. You can't seem to stick to the subject in any thread you participate in.

Geeze, give it a rest.

I did stick to the subject. Fear is the big justification for the shooting. I presented studies showing that whites have unreasonable fear of blacks as threats. Now you say that such information is hijacking the thread. No....I just presented information that you could not counter. You got nothing tenable as a rebuttal so you found an exit strategy.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
I have pushed people that came up to me to give me a hard time a few times in my life. I'm lucky not to be dead. I think it is important who starts the confrontation. Even if you don't like what somebody is doing - even if what they are doing is completely wrong - you don't always have to confront them.

Here is something that has happened to me several times: Someone comes up to me on the street and asks me for money and blocks my way if I say no. If I try to push him out of the way to get away (which I have done,) does he get to shoot me? I think stand your ground says yes! Obviously he can say he feels threatened by my attempt to get away. He is obviously trying to physically intimidate me, but, as an unarmed person, I don't have any rights. As an armed person, the gun gives him the right to legally take my life. Now if he stabs me to death, he is in big trouble because knives aren't constitutionally protected.

And note how your intention are conveyed by a "push" as opposed to a "punch". There is a big non verbal communication message being sent when one chooses to push rather than punch first.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:59 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
What a strange, strange example you picked.
Examples have to be establish before the rules are recognized.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:08 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post

No, you'd lose on "proportionality of force."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies