Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2018, 01:11 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
I said Florida is a cesspool so...
I live in Florida and it is definitely a cesspool. It is full of crazy rednecks in MAGA hats and vicious old White Wing people.

The very fact that the shooter was hassling and confronting total strangers in a parking lot over a relatively minor matter, plus carrying a gun in the middle of the day, shows he was another George Zimmerman---some kind of over-wraught good-for-nothing, looking to "police" other people over next to nothing, and always looking for a fight. A total loser. I hope he ends up getting charged and locked up for life. Our society does not need people like him.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:00 AM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
They just hate us because they ain't us. Bet we probably pay a 5th the property taxes they do and have a higher quality of life than they do.

Say how's those poop ridden streets out there in San Francisco? Skid row? Tent cities? Don't see that here.
I've lived in both CA and FL. I'd take FL over CA any day. First of all, it's a LOT cleaner. The air is cleaner, the streets are cleaner, the water is a lot cleaner, and a very pretty blue. Second of all, it's cheaper to live there and you get more for less while still living near the ocean. The property taxes are nowhere near what they are in CA, even in crappy parts of CA. Third, it's way more interesting.

In the summer, it's very hot, all day, all night. However, most people go from their air conditioned home to their air conditioned car to their air conditioned office, so they don't get the real feel like those who work outside. (The last job I had, I worked outside...brutal in the summer.) But November through April....beautiful. Far better than CA.

As for politics, a co-worker asked me to join him for a Tea Party protest. I went along because I'd never done such a thing, and I took a ton of photos, talked to a lot of people. Didn't see a single "redneck" there. Most of them were Cuban. But leave it to the left to screech about "rednecks" when any redneck I ever met was a Democrat in FL. (My co-workers at the job outside were total rednecks, and they were all lefties.)

Once you get out of Miami, FL is actually pretty nice. I would never live in Miami again if someone paid me to. The incessant honking of the horns and jaw dropping incivility was enough. Go north, or even to Key West, everything changes. People are way nicer once you get out of Miami.

Also, the pedos in FL..maybe there's not more than any other state, but it seems like there are.

But, at least in FL, you don't have to run and hide somewhere and hope the police arrive in time if you're being attacked or your house is getting broken into lest you get some extremely liberal jury who live in an alternate reality where no bad guy has a gun or would hurt/kill anyone. Stand your ground means you stand your ground...you don't have to run and hide. You stand up and protect yourself against the attack.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:43 AM

2,362 posts, read 778,612 times
My take on this is that no one deserves to be shot over a shove but at the same time I wouldn't prosecute this man either. He either shot this man out of revenge or shot him to prevent being shoved again - the latter is protected. We simply don't know, and there is enough 'reasonable doubt' to believe he did shoot the guy to stop him from assaulting him again.

The mom and dad should have acted more responsibly, especially in front of their kids. They shouldn't have idled in a handicap zone and the dad shouldn't have assaulted some older guy over nothing. Because of these actions, a tragedy happened. I don't see the point to make this situation anymore tragic by prosecuting the old man.

At the same time this old man should learn to call the cops and not involve himself directly in situations. While keeping able bodied people out of handicap zones is a noble gesture, it can lead to bad outcomes like this. At the bare minimum if he's going to confront people, he shouldn't carry a gun.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:10 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,290,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I think a lot of people who carry picture themselves as some sort of modern day vigilante. We see that kind of swagger here all the time. That's how this guy comes across to me.

I am not dismissing handicapped people, nor do I condone anyone parking in a handicapped spot who is not handicapped.

But this man had no authority to run around that parking lot, day after day, playing at being an LE. And this certainly never should have risen to the level of someone losing their life.

This moron proved he is not responsible enough to be carrying. And now a father of three is dead and the man who killed him in cold blood will walk away, with his gun, without suffering any consequences for his actions.

I find that beyond disturbing.
It is beyond disturbing, Jams. This video is extremely upsetting.

That old coot should be charged with murder. I can’t stand wanna-be cops thinking they have a right to harass and police people. This idiot thinks he can just blow away people.

And, people want more of this? Ridiculous and damn sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
The guy was nuts - he was armed and looking for trouble; he was not old (47); he has done this before - reportedly threatening to shoot a trucker parked in the same HC spot last month.

He was shoved, no blows were exchanged; he then shot a man (a father protecting his wife and children) who was standing still with his arms down.

He is going to get away with murder and hopefully he spends the rest of his miserable life being plagued by lawsuits. Most Jury's would probably convict based on the video and witness testimonies.

This is a travesty of justice.
Perfectly stated.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Please stop doing this. Last year I rolled into a bathroom at the local Walmart. A teenager had just walked in and used the handicapped stall. I csn't prove this, but I'm pretty sure he sat down to pee and look at his phone at the same time. There were two stalls and only one was handicapped accessible and large enough to fit me and my wheel chair. So I was angry. I sat there while he texted or scrolled and did what he had to do. When he finally left and saw me sitting there waiting for him to come up, he turned lily white.

So I said, "Don't that anymore. It's the only stall in this bathroom that I can legitimately use and I had to wait for you to get off your damn phone." I guess he could have beat my one legged butt all over the bathroom. But what he actually did was walk ut without replying to me at all. Just because there's not someone in the handicapped stall when you walk in doesn't mean there's not someone thirty seconds behind you that needs it.
I’m very sorry for your disability, but the handicapped stall is HC accessible, not HC only. I use it if I don’t see a handicapped person there who needs it. If you come in and its occupied, you’d have to wait, yes. That would be the case if another HC person or an able-bodied person is in there.

Only a jerk would use it if a HC person is waiting.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
Yup but we know what the real motivation here. If it was reversed and the Black guy was harrasing a White woman and kids for parking in a handicap spot and then shot the husband everyone in here would be screaming DEATH PENALTY! He would not be home free either...he’d be in jail while the sheriff “looked through all the facts”.
Of course. It’s obvious, and it’ll never be acknowledged.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:43 AM

2,362 posts, read 778,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Come on, this has nothing to do with punks bullying people in your high school. The guy in the video did not bully the shooter. He simply got mad at a guy he saw yelling at his girlfriend. For something like to result in a killing which is legally justified is insane.
This bears repeating: you're not allowed to shove someone because they yell at your gf or kids. Doing something like that can and most likely will dangerously escalate any situation.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:05 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
They've already said they're considering it self defense.

Which flys in the face of the law. The guy that got shot started backing off once the gun came out. It was a short period but it was also a long enough period that the guy with the gun saw he started to back away but still decided to fire.

Should be booking the guy with the gun for second degree murder.
The final decision is with the State's Attorney, not the sheriff.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:13 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
The store employee was clear that the guy was a pest, always trying to cause trouble.

The video made it clear that the man was in no danger. The guy who shoved him was backing off and there was no visible knife, gun, or any other weapon, nor has one been reported.

Yet he shot him dead anyway.

Not sure why he wasn't arrested and charged. Let the courts sort out whether this met the "stand your ground" standard.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 07-22-2018 at 05:23 AM..

Old 07-22-2018, 05:26 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
This bears repeating: you're not allowed to shove someone because they yell at your gf or kids.
No kidding. But it's going to happen now and again. We've been getting mad and occasionally shoving each other since time immemorial.

Quote:
Doing something like that can and most likely will dangerously escalate any situation.
When people are being executed on the spot for shoving, and it's legally sanctioned, that may be a clue that there's something seriously wrong with your society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies