Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2018, 09:54 AM

2,362 posts, read 783,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This may have some truth - but being as the guy had a history of casing those parking spaces and doing the same thing, this is not a one-off. Rather it is someone who has appointed themselves as a vigilante.
Again however, what he was doing was not illegal. Some people may even laud his sense of civic duty others will decry him as an annoying busybody.

Either way, the situation escalated to deadly consequences during the shove - not the confrontation over a parking ticket.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:59 AM

18,982 posts, read 9,124,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Of course it doesn't, and no where in SYG does it say it does. You're either spinning this or unable to intellectually grasp how SYG applied.
I've seen enough of these shootings in Florida, where people get away with murder, to understand perfectly how SYG works.

Quote:
We can only speculate what was in the man's mind as he was lying crumpled on the ground with a deranged, violent individual over him. But it falls under the umbrella of SYG and reasonable doubt that he needed to shoot the individual to prevent himself from being assaulted again.
Lying crumpled on the ground? Good grief, drama queen much? He was pushed, he fell down, and he decided that even though the guy had already backed off, he was not going to take that humiliation from him. So he whips out his gun and takes the guy out in cold blood.

And he will walk away with his gun, free to kill again. Just like George Zimmerman did.

That's how Florida's SYG works.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:03 AM

2,362 posts, read 783,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Lying crumpled on the ground? Good grief, drama queen much?
Yes, he crumpled to the ground. If he fell back on his head, he could have been killed. When someone is on the ground in a fight, they're in a very vulnerable position.

Quote:
and he decided that even though the guy had already backed off, he was not going to take that humiliation from him.
So you're reading his mind?

Look, I think there is a chance he shot the guy out of revenge for the shove. But I also think there is a chance he shot the guy out of fear and to prevent being assaulted again. And that chance is large enough to qualify as reasonable doubt where in this country we don't prosecute (as we error on letting guilty people free then innocent people behind bars).

Old 07-22-2018, 10:04 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,329,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
You don't even need to be a gun owner or even have a gun.

So it stands. Don't want to spend the rest of your days in a coffin? Don't harm anyone. Don't initiate violence upon anyone. It's quite a simple thing to do. Keep your hands to yourself.
Go initiate violence here, you're making the choice to risk your own life in doing so.

It's a very simple thing here.
1. Don't threaten anyone.
2. Don't put hands on anyone.
3. Don't try to steal from someone or break and enter or car jack them.
4. Don't initiate force or harm against someone.
You won't have anything to worry about. It's very simple.
You forgot a few:

1. Don't cut someone off while driving.
2. Don't play your music too loud.
3. Don't text in a movie theater.
4. Don't go to school.
5. Don't go to nightclubs.

It's not "very simple here" in the Gunshine State.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:10 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,705,884 times
There have been many reports across the country of people being killed from a simple physical attack or from dying from being sucker punched or slammed to the ground. We should all be able to protect ourselves from a physical attack. If we are not young and well trained the gun is the only available option in most cases.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:15 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,749,869 times
Quote:
Yes, he crumpled to the ground. If he fell back on his head, he could have been killed. When someone is on a ground in a fight, they're in a very vulnerable position.

So you're reading his mind?

Look, I think there is a chance he shot the guy out of revenge for the shove. But I also think there is a chance he shot the guy out of fear and to prevent being assaulted again. And that chance is large enough to qualify as reasonable doubt where in this country we don't prosecute (as we error on letting guilty people free then innocent people behind bars).

I would bet the 47 year old is one of these guys who plays this scenario out in their heads more than a few times, when they see acts of violence on the news. They put themselves in the situation mentally and think how they would not hesitate in putting bullets into someone.....if it were them.

The fact that he is carrying around a gun is already an indication to me that he is in fear. Maybe he is carrying it around for gators....given that it's Florida, however, I would bet he carries it around out of fear of black crime....and thinks he MUST shoot without hesitation. I mean....he has been training for just such a thing.

Another thing is this. Why are people always looking at black on black homicides differently than this? People act like black on black violence is never out of fear for their lives. Gun violence seems to be okay with whites if it is justified by FEAR, which means that some of these same people don't think black on black gun violence is related to fear, but rather, just a disregard for human life.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:21 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,626,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You aren't familiar with this poster? He writes fictional narratives about white people and how we're all racist and just don't know it.

There's a theme here....wonder what it could be.
He is either brainwashed or is purposely spreading idiocy to push an agenda.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,829,972 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, disrespecting your girlfriend does not give you license to commit violent battery on a individual.
I didn't say it gives you the license. I said some people feel compelled to do something when their wife/GF is being disrespected.

Quote:
And if you think you're entitled to commit violent battery on some individual for disrespecting your girlfriend keep in mind you run the risk of being shot.
I didn't say I am entitled.

Communications barrier?

Quote:
And may I ask, what disrespect? They were disrespecting polite society by ignoring all standards of decency by parking/idling in a handicap spot.
Apparently there was a lout argument at the scene. In the past the same guy had threatened to kill another person parking on the same spot.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:23 AM

1,066 posts, read 634,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
The shooter wanted to kill someone, pure and simple. There was no ‘body slam’. He pushed the guy and he fell down. He pulled his gun and shot the guy as he was backing up. Murder.

Regardless of your opinions. They are opinions and he is justified. He was not the aggressor who bodyslammed old man to the ground, if I was older, and someone assaults me, I will shoot them on the spot. There is no question about that. The law is written in his favor and it is legal. He feared for his life, he was assaulted, whatever happened next is history. I dont see him getting any charges, rightfully so. There is no duty to retreat, also. he was pulling the gun out and the guy was looking at him, he wasn't walking away beforehand. So more or less he was preparing in his head "oh ****". It takes a moment for our bodies to process what is actually happening.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:24 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,829,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
LOL Twas the push that caused him to get shot.
Thats what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies