Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 03:19 AM

33,332 posts, read 12,491,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Well that's one interpretation.

So your in Chicago and run up and push a perfect stranger to the ground. Not a small shove. Not a bump, but plow them to the ground and you are saying. "Nope in Chicago that will never result in a shooting?" I call BS because Chicago can't go a weekend with out turning into a war zone.

Yes the shooter instigated it by confronting an ignorant ass for parking in a handicap slot. The same people saying that are also saying ANTIFA is right for destroying private property. BLM is right for rioting and looting, and the Weather underground was a great org.

You violently knock someone to the ground you are flat out begging for a retaliation. On what planet, in what reality would anyone thing it wouldn't have a bad end?
Ringo's planet. Ringo's reality .

Old 07-23-2018, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Look, I tend to agree with you, but here is where I am having a problem.

Say I am going to pummel someone, and they know I am capable of doing so (mirrors this situation based on size, age, etc.).
If they pull out a gun, that is a great equalizer, hence the reason people recommend women and defenseless people legally carry to protect themselves.
So say I back off, knowing lead is going to win the fight.
In theory, if the attacker disengages, that thwarts the need for greater defensive measures, especially lethal force.

As I said previously, it is tough to tell from the video and it's angle, but the assailant might be far enough away to not pose a threat. That is especially true when the victim pulls a gun and the assailant seems to take a step or two backwards.
Granted this is all armchair quarterbacking, but the premise of the "stand your ground" law is to protect lawful citizens from incurring harm from an aggressor.
The driver clearly was clearly the aggressor to begin with, but did he still pose an aggressive posture once the gun was brandished.
If not, then he should not have pulled the trigger.

`
The bolded = what I was getting at earlier in a reply to JAMS14.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:33 AM

2,362 posts, read 776,984 times
I watched the video again, this time paying close attention to the times:

1)18 second mark, attacker pushes shooter
2)20 second mark, shooter recovers to a seating position, attacker begins to move towards shooter on the ground
3)22 second mark, shooter pulls out his gun, attacker stops advancing
4)23 second mark, attacker begins to move backwards as shooter pulls the trigger
5)24 second mark, attacker crunches forward likely from impact of gun shot
6)25 second mark, attacker staggers away

As you can see for those saying the attacker begin backing up, it was too little too late. Probably the shooter had made up his mind to shoot as he pulled out the gun and did not have time to process in that 1-2 seconds that his attacker had stopped assaulting him.

This is an important lesson for all the internet tough guys here because I hear so much thuggery - if someone disrespects me or my wife, I will beat them - kind of high school rhetoric. If you choose to fight someone who doesn't want to fight you, they will just kill you. And that grave, you dug, not them. The best way to avoid it is live peacefully. No one is required to go fist to fist with you, this is not a boxing ring and no one is getting paid.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
It is silly to try to argue that California is right and Florida is wrong, or visa versa. What you have here is legislation and laws based to two opposing philosophies.
Yep.

I don't carry, but the related laws in California, and attitudes like the one exemplified by that poster are two reasons I would never move back to California....and I'm a 5th generation native.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:42 AM

2,362 posts, read 776,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yep.

I don't carry, but the related laws in California, and attitudes like the one exemplified by that poster are two reasons I would never move back to California....and I'm a 5th generation native.
I'm in Portugal where the self defense laws are even more ridiculous than California. I wish Florida style laws could come over here.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
No it’s not silly at all, there was no reason for him to shoot as he was not in imminent danger. Laws are not from god and should be discussed and challenged. The stand your ground law is trash
In your opinion

Quote:
...it let’s people provoke situations and then shoot when they get in too deep. Just like George Zimmerman...he totally provoked a situation then shot when he got into a scuffle that he couldn’t handle. People need to mind their own business...this is a law that protects cowards.
Pot meet kettle.

By your own admission, you live in California...not in Florida.

Spend the rest of your life outside of Florida...problem solved .

Old 07-23-2018, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
You shouldn’t be allowed to escalate the situation by whipping out a gun during a minor assault. A minor assault that came to fruition because you were outside lecturing someone’s wife and kids about a parking situation. If he was that concerned about the parking situation he should have taken the plate down and notified the authorities, not stand by the car and chastise them for 2 minutes. I would be upset if some strange guys was lecturing my family. Obviously parking in the handicap was wrong but it wasn’t the gunman’s job to enforce the law...he could have made a simple comment and walked away but he didnt.
By multiple news accounts, she was his girlfriend, not his wife.

His kids are family, but a girlfriend isn't (try to have rights within a hospital if you are a girlfriend/boyfriend without any prior directive in place).

Old 07-23-2018, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
This, a thousand times, this. This guy is the only reason there was a confrontation to begin with, because he thought it was his job to play cop. Without that, none of this happens.

If it was really all about the handicapped parking space he would have taken the plate down and relayed that info to the police. But that wouldn't have given him the satisfaction that lecturing everybody would. This is a busybody who feels the need to tell everyone else how to live their lives.

HE started it, HE escalated it, and HE killed someone in cold blood.

Now three children will grow up fatherless because Mr. Macho Man needed to play Dirty Harry. And he will go home and live his life, while these children will never see their father again.

He should be in jail. But Flori-DUH will probably shake his hand and send him on his way. Unbelievable.
No, the boyfriend/shover escalated it.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Trust me. A disabled person finding some able-bodied fool parked in a handicap spot is not trivial! Maybe he thought it might make the lady think next time before she parked in a handicap spot. The faather did not have to lay hands on some guy for talking.
^^^^^ This.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I've lived in both CA and FL. I'd take FL over CA any day. First of all, it's a LOT cleaner. The air is cleaner, the streets are cleaner, the water is a lot cleaner, and a very pretty blue. Second of all, it's cheaper to live there and you get more for less while still living near the ocean. The property taxes are nowhere near what they are in CA, even in crappy parts of CA. Third, it's way more interesting.

In the summer, it's very hot, all day, all night. However, most people go from their air conditioned home to their air conditioned car to their air conditioned office, so they don't get the real feel like those who work outside. (The last job I had, I worked outside...brutal in the summer.) But November through April....beautiful. Far better than CA.

As for politics, a co-worker asked me to join him for a Tea Party protest. I went along because I'd never done such a thing, and I took a ton of photos, talked to a lot of people. Didn't see a single "redneck" there. Most of them were Cuban. But leave it to the left to screech about "rednecks" when any redneck I ever met was a Democrat in FL. (My co-workers at the job outside were total rednecks, and they were all lefties.)

Once you get out of Miami, FL is actually pretty nice. I would never live in Miami again if someone paid me to. The incessant honking of the horns and jaw dropping incivility was enough. Go north, or even to Key West, everything changes. People are way nicer once you get out of Miami.

Also, the pedos in FL..maybe there's not more than any other state, but it seems like there are.

But, at least in FL, you don't have to run and hide somewhere and hope the police arrive in time if you're being attacked or your house is getting broken into lest you get some extremely liberal jury who live in an alternate reality where no bad guy has a gun or would hurt/kill anyone. Stand your ground means you stand your ground...you don't have to run and hide. You stand up and protect yourself against the attack.
^^^^^ I agree.

(I'm a California native who lives in Texas. I've never actually lived in Florida, but I've spent a lot of time there in a number of different areas all over the state).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies