Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 01:43 PM

29,567 posts, read 14,714,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Can't wait to carry my musket around.

Have fun , while you are at it log off , throw your phone and computer away. If you want to reply to this , get out your quill and ink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 01:46 PM

29,567 posts, read 14,714,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
If I go to a public place and someone is carrying a gun, I leave. If it's a store, I tell them why. If it became a problem, I'd simply have my items delivered. If red states want to give toddlers guns, let them do it in their states. They've shown time and again that they do not believe guns should be restricted in any way and ironically, the NRA supporting mother in Sandy Hook was the first victim of her son's mass shooting and she bought him the guns.

What do you do if you are around LEO's ? Currently 1 in 20 conceal carry so you are around gun carrying "toddlers" without even knowing it. So scary isn't it ?

Old 07-25-2018, 01:49 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,918,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd
Yes those are the basic rules but there are many hot heads out there that break those rules because they think the rules of society and gun safety rules don't apply to them.

Last week a cop in my state was murdered by some idiot that attacked him with a rock, took his gun and shot him. The loser also shot at and killed a woman that was looking out her window at the crime.

I'm just a bit nervous that if everyone has a gun then I might get shot someday for mistakenly cutting off some guy in traffic.

Road rage happens everyday and weapons that are at hand are used to settle disputes. I'd rather get punched in the face then shot.

Most people can handle a gun responsibly but we all know there is a percentage of the population that shouldn't.
There are many hot heads who shouldn't be on the road either. They treat driving as a "contact sport".

Not really sure what you are getting at with the 2nd paragraph other than there are violent people everywhere and the police can't protect you at all times.

Drive through Memphis. I'll bet that 80% of the cars have a gun in them. If not on the person, then in the glove compartment, the center console or under the seat.

If everyone carrying a gun shot someone who was driving erratically, there would be rivers of blood in the streets. The percentage of road rage cases that end violently are small compared to the number of people on the road. Again, the local news will highlight the ones that end badly. And you never stop and get out of a car during one of these incidents....On those same lines, a gun in the car saved a family member from a car jacking. Driving to work in the wee hours of the morning, he pulled off the interstate and stopped before turning left. He noticed movement out of the corner of his eye and grabbed his pistol. When the potential carjacker opened the door and the interior light came on, he was greeted with business end of a Glock .40 about 24 inches from his nose. He apologized, slammed the door and was last seen running into the darkness.

If this small percentage you speak of has been convicted of violence against another in the past, then we should determine if they should walk among peaceful people. If society deems them reformed, they should have every right as I do. If they go back to their violent ways, put them down like a rabid dog. Now we are down to the people who just "snap". Nothing you can do. Freedom is scary.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Strongly disagree. Every time there's a mass shooting, the NRA blames "mental health". Then the NRA says people with mental health problems should not be prevent owning a gun. That is the opposite of common sense.

Can private businesses post that guns are not allowed? If so, those are the businesses I would shop at. Just because there is a portion of the country that worships guns doesn't mean I have to be around them. Canada should allow people to take their money out of the U.S. and immigrate there on the basis of this gun worship alone.
I support property rights. Kroger grocery stores and their subsidiaries have stated they allow whatever the local laws allow. Wal-Mart has nothing posted. My local Malco theater has a no-guns sign but concealed is concealed. They have to ask me to leave before calling the police.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:01 PM

50,412 posts, read 47,155,129 times
People are around CCW all the time and don't even know it. People could open carry until a short time ago and not too many did anyway so it's no big deal. No bad guy is going to be doing open carry without holding it in their hands.

I carried when I rode at night and in areas that had a lot of dogs with no yards.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:03 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,153,367 times
Having a gun saved me twice and I never fired a shot.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Yesterday I excersized my 1st ammendment. A man was open carrying at a gas station, and I kid you not, I called him a ****in ****y. He didn't do squat, he can't do squat. You can't escalate a situation when you're armed, it's great! You can insult their wife in front of them, they can't do anything!
While you are correct in your statement, you are an ******* for doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Your at liberty to escalate as much as is warranted. If you instigate a violent reaction there is the ability to challenge any criminal charges based on your behavior. The guy can't shoot you, but he can punch you in the mouth, and with witnesses may escape charges due to provocation. Further with sufficient provocation you yourself may be guilty of a public order offense.

Ignorance of the law is no defense, and your demonstrating your ignorance. Further if you're shot and killed I'm sure your immediate family will be grateful to know your killer had little justification. It's wise to not go around poking bears with sticks even when morally justified.

Finally of course, since gun control supporters are so terrified that people carrying guns will lose control and kill for imagined slights, how do you reconcile your purported behavior, with you still breathing?
In most places you can't. Your scenario would be exactly like the Florida stand your ground incident. You should check out Massad Ayoob's video on disparity of force.

I have been in this situation after a fender bender. After being rear-ended, we pulled into a church parking lot to exchange information or at least that was my plan. It didn't start that civil and ended up with my wife back in the car in tears. I was called some things I had to look up later. Even my Japanese made car was insulted. My only responses were "Yes sir", "No sir" and "The law requires us to exchange insurance information". When we were finally done, my wife asked how I could remain so calm. I told her that if it had ended in a physical altercation, I had to be 100% in the right since I was armed. I had to do everything to de-escalate the situation. It is the burden of carrying a gun every day.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Have fun , while you are at it log off , throw your phone and computer away. If you want to reply to this , get out your quill and ink.
I can't wait to see the post rider on horseback deliver it to you.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:04 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,599,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Training teaches you how to practice. You gain experience through practice.

I knew proper gun handling techniques long before I attended my first training class. I learned them as a pre-teen from my father. I knew exactly what a .30-30 rifle would do to flesh when in the 2nd grade. I didn't shoot a deer but I watched one taken down and saw more back at the camp. In doesn't take a future rocket scientist to figure out that a gun doing that to a deer would do exactly the same to a person. Did seeing that scar me for life? Not at all. It was a learning experience that I have still remember vividly over 40 years later.
That was your experience. I do not own a gun, but if I did, I would not feel comfortable about it until I had actually had some kind of training, if for no other reason than to ensure that I could actually hit what I was shooting at. I'm not anti-gun, I just consider shooting a skill, and given the high stakes, one that ideally should be learned with at least minimal proficiency prior to being turned loose with any old firearm the heart desires.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:09 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,153,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That was your experience. I do not own a gun, but if I did, I would not feel comfortable about it until I had actually had some kind of training, if for no other reason than to ensure that I could actually hit what I was shooting at. I'm not anti-gun, I just consider shooting a skill, and given the high stakes, one that ideally should be learned with at least minimal proficiency prior to being turned loose with any old firearm the heart desires.
Many of us in rural areas learned gun safety at 8 or 9. I liked rabbit to eat so started hunting and cleaning them before I was 10. If I was not accurate, I didn't have them to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies