Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 01:16 PM

3,082 posts, read 1,547,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Yep, by all means, meat prices should fall - our arteries will clog but meat will be cheap.
You’re dreaming if you think meat prices are going to fall. I’ll believe it when I see it in my supermarket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 01:21 PM

3,082 posts, read 1,547,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yeah, I used to go to Red State to see what the sane Republicans were talking about, but they have really become the All Trump, All The Time site in the last year or so. No sanity left there.

But if they are not happy, you are seeing unhappy Trump supporters.

Maybe they should distribute all that meat to the farmers. They're going to need help feeding themselves after Trump destroyed their markets and their livelihood.
Destroyed their markets? You mean the grain producers might have to sell their products to American consumers who would buy livestock grain for reasonable prices instead of the inflated prices that has resulted from sales to China and Americans subsidizing the Chinese. Wow! Imagine that. Selling a product to Americans, produced in America, for a reasonable price instead of outrageous inflated prices.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:22 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
We are doing our part to support the meat business. we eat lots of beef, T-bones and porterhouse, each week! YUM.

seriously, there has been bumper crop of beef and pork due to low grain prices which impacts the cost to feed these animals making them cheaper to raise.

the assertion in the OP that the build up in warehoused beef is solely because of trump tariffs is misleading. I didn't read the WSJ article, but I have read numerous other articles on this subject, because I don't have access to the WSJ due to the paywall.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 07-25-2018 at 01:31 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 01:25 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I hope the meat stays here... I love steaks, chicken, and bacon... Sorry for the rest of the world and their rice with lettuce meals... At the end of it, we will win and their games were for nothing.... Win, win...
Same here. My grill gets a serious workout all year round.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:26 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Destroyed their markets? You mean the grain producers might have to sell their products to American consumers who would buy livestock grain for reasonable prices instead of the inflated prices that has resulted from sales to China and Americans subsidizing the Chinese. Wow! Imagine that. Selling a product to Americans, produced in America, for a reasonable price instead of outrageous inflated prices.
Exactly.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:28 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So we'll finally see some relief from rising food prices, especially beef? Sounds like it's time for a BBQ.

Ahh, so you are fine with WELFARE, when it is for Republican farmers?

Last time i chatted with you, you were banging on about federal waste and such like, yet it appears you are now in favor of mass scale welfare for trump supporters...

lets see, Trump hands out 12 billion dollars to make up for lost earning due to his trade war and you think it is funny to joke about BBQs..

If Obama did this republicans. would be raging hate and bile and demanding he be impeached or just jailed.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
williepaws you clearly know how how these markets work.

US farmers ALWAYS sell as much pork to the US as they profitably can. selling more would likely reduce the price (ie flood the market)

US markets are saturated and thus US farmers export across the globe as much as they profitably can.

Trump's Trade war has reduced exports, to two major markets, MEX and CHINA. there is no place else to sell the pork without displacing competitors or expanding the market.

expanding the market takes many years and lots and lots of marketing.

If you get an american family to eat more pork they will eat less beef and chicken. the beef and chicken people will not stand by and see prices decline or market share lost just to support Trump or his trade war.

So the US gov CAN"T just give subsidies to the pork farmers to let them sell it cheaper.

You guys get it yet?

IF the gov subsidies PORK and SOY at the expense of beef and corn, you have a major lawsuit. If the gov subsidies PORK and soy at the expense of international competitors you have a major WTO complaint.

What don't you guys get? There will not be a large drop in pork prices WHILE the gov is subsidies the farmers incomes. Instead the product must be stockpiled and production levels must decline to match the new reality.

it is basic econ kids. Do you think pork farmers in the EU will sit idle? or chicken farmers in the US???

so to the Trumpers laughing and saying "big deal" "cheap bbq" and such like, sorry to tell you it don't work that way.
You might get a few sales here and there but not a major change.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:52 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
If Obama did this republicans. would be raging hate and bile and demanding he be impeached or just jailed.
That's where you're dead wrong, had Obama done or proposed something like this BECAUSE he was trying to negotiate fair trade deals for America not a single Trump supporter would have raised hell.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I hope the meat stays here... I love steaks, chicken, and bacon... Sorry for the rest of the world and their rice with lettuce meals... At the end of it, we will win and their games were for nothing.... Win, win...
you need to widen your world view matey, we sell tens of millions of tonnes of pork to mex and china every year.

Trump is massively damaging those markets.

I actually spent a good part of my life as a manufacturer and worked both sides of this "supply" issue.

If my supplier fails to supply me
i find more suppliers and when the first one comes back i don't just drop the new ones. Instead i split the orders or stay with the new guy. But mostly split the orders because i dont want to risk being caught out again. Furthermore the new guy won't have my back next time if i leave him. Instead i will be bottom of his list.

flip side.

if i can't supply my customer and they go somewhere else i have to fight twice as hard to get them back. Winning back the FULL biz is really hard, because they have concerns about my ability to supply consistently and thus they need to hedge their bets... so i have to reduce margins or otherwise bribe them to come back.

If china manages to source good quality pork elsewhere they have no real reasons to come back to the US sellers apart from price reductions......same for mexico.

and both are likely to ramp up internal production and create incentives for domestic producers to reduce future reliance on external suppliers...

In Trade wars everyone loses, trump is a chump not to understand this stuff.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:59 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
YESSSS.... finally food prices will be coming down from the high of liberal stagflation....

thank you President Trump.....

Again with lack of understanding regarding economics.

If prices fall those who produce said good will get less for their efforts. That is what is behind DT's $12M bankrolling of farmers disguised as "temporary emergency aid".

Should prices remain low long enough people/businesses simply will go out of business, because at some point the humping you're getting is not worth the humping you are getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies