Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 02:43 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
Again, it isn’t the word itself.

Remember back in the 1960s, there was a whole civil rights movement because people said they wanted to get away from race-based restrictions and opportunities?

What race based rights are white people being denied for not being able to call black people n**gers anymore (also they still can and still do and still use the words - see my other responses - I'm black and have been called a n**ger by white people before....)

I also don't use the word.

And I was not alive in the 1960s and the Civil Rights Movement started in the 1800s, not the 1960s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 02:44 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I think it is ridiculous how the "N" word is a career killer for one group while it is a term of friendship for another.

Of course it is all about the context.

The movie "Django Unchained" has been on cable a lot this past week and it is crazy how many times the "N" word is thrown around and a whole lot of other derogatory terms from the mid 1800's on a plantation in the South.

I do think it is a put down no matter who uses it. Years ago I used to work with and hang out with a bunch of black guys and on the basketball court it was always like "N" this and that. They called me "white bread" but I never called them "n***a". Even though we were friends I probably would have been beaten up.

It is ridiculous how a white person can use the word and be destroyed. Do you remember Kramer from Seinfeld? He used it in a comedy routine and got into all kinds of trouble. Lately we have Roseanne and Papa John ruining their lives for uttering the forbidden word.

Oh well.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:47 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

It is ridiculous how a white person can use the word and be destroyed. Do you remember Kramer from Seinfeld? He used it in a comedy routine and got into all kinds of trouble..
That wasn't in his comedy routine, that was a retort to a heckler.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:49 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
I think it is ridiculous how the "N" word is a career killer for one group while it is a term of friendship for another.

Of course it is all about the context.

The movie "Django Unchained" has been on cable a lot this past week and it is crazy how many times the "N" word is thrown around and a whole lot of other derogatory terms from the mid 1800's on a plantation in the South.

I do think it is a put down no matter who uses it. Years ago I used to work with and hang out with a bunch of black guys and on the basketball court it was always like "N" this and that. They called me "white bread" but I never called them "n***a". Even though we were friends I probably would have been beaten up.

It is ridiculous how a white person can use the word and be destroyed. Do you remember Kramer from Seinfeld? He used it in a comedy routine and got into all kinds of trouble. Lately we have Roseanne and Papa John ruining their lives for uttering the forbidden word.

Oh well.

Non-celebrity white people use the word all the time.

Why are you all denying this...?

It is very strange. Young white people who listen to particular hip hop musicians say it all the time. I have family members who are teachers and I volunteer at my son's high school (he goes to a heavily integrated school) and all the kids use the word - including white, Arab, and Latino kids. They go through the halls calling each other n**gers.

You all live your lives too much through celebrities. And neither John nor Roseanne's life has been "ruined" for saying the word. Both are still millionaires and Roseanne didn't call anyone a n**ger or even say the word

It is amazing to me that so many white people feel so victimized today by feeling they can't say a racial slur. Many of these posters complaining about this are ones that also like to give "advice" to black people about our problems they think we have. IMO the use of the word by other black people is one of the few "problems" we have yet you all think there are other pressing issues. The idea that anyone is okay with using a word that was created to de-humanize them/us is indicative of a problem.

You all wanting to participate in this problem, is weird and makes me think your problems are worse than black people who suffer from and embrace an inferiority complex.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:30 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Come on you can't take ni****r from the blacks, how are they supposed to create rap music without it. Ni***r is up there with bitc*es and hoes as the most used words in rap.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:53 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Come on you can't take ni****r from the blacks, how are they supposed to create rap music without it. Ni***r is up there with bitc*es and hoes as the most used words in rap.
They took the N word back and claimed it. That is why they get upset if white people are using it.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:02 PM

24,638 posts, read 9,464,279 times
As a black man, the n-word should never be used by anyone ever. The fact that we blacks think it's a "term of endearment" and "ok for blacks" to use is pathetic and sad. I don't care if you use it with "a" or "er" all uses are wrong.

Sadly the hip hop culture and its musicians have embraced the word, because hey, it sure does rhyme pretty good. The black community has largely embraced the word as well, sadly.

So at the end of the day people on both sides will continue to use this highly offensive word. So blacks have no reason to blame or get mad at non-whites who use it, when we use it every 5 seconds on a popular hip hop song.

It's a racial slur and this world is highly obsessed with it. I always say "non-whites will stop using it as soon as blacks stop using it."

Old 07-26-2018, 08:20 PM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
In light of so many white people getting into trouble for uttering the n-word, what if black people who use the n-word faced consequences too?

I hear that damn word EVERY weekday while on the Los Angeles Metro. It's never white people saying it in public, it's black people. Mostly men, but some women. Frequently. LOUDLY. Often with enthusiasm, anger, or extra "stank."

It's said in front of children, the elderly, and all races.

Non-black people lose their jobs and reputations over the n-word but it is tossed around so much I wonder what would happen if there weren't a double standard.

If there was never slavery then there would be no double standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
What if EVERYONE who says the n-word was held accountable?

Seriously? You are really going there?

I am a white guy who does not use that word and could never be tricked into it or just slip up. If you get into trouble for saying that word its because you say it all the time but usually around like minded white people. I have known lots of people like that over the years. So I don't feel bad for them when they get busted.

Regarding black people using that word. Give them a pass. Least we can do for screwing them over for 400 years.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:21 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
If it offends black people to hear white people say that word I will not use that word. I wouldn't use it anyway. I find it to be an ugly word. If anyone uses it around me(rarely does anyone) I tell them not to say that word in my presence.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:30 PM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:

Oh well.
Rosanne got in trouble for something else, not saying the N word. Regardless whose fault is it when a public figure utters an obvious racial slur? The N word is a line in the sand. Everyone knows that. If you are a white public figure who crosses that line you have to deal with the consequences. Should not be a surprise.

Michael Richards (aka Kramer) got upset at a black guy who was heckling him and called the heckler that. It was not part of his comedy routine. Richards lost his cool.

I don't think that Rosanne or the Papa John's guy have ruined lives. Yes their reputations are damaged by what they did but are both wealthy and they are going to be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies