Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 08:32 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
In light of so many white people getting into trouble for uttering the n-word, what if black people who use the n-word faced consequences too?

I hear that damn word EVERY weekday while on the Los Angeles Metro. It's never white people saying it in public, it's black people. Mostly men, but some women. Frequently. LOUDLY. Often with enthusiasm, anger, or extra "stank."

It's said in front of children, the elderly, and all races.

Non-black people lose their jobs and reputations over the n-word but it is tossed around so much I wonder what would happen if there weren't a double standard.

What if EVERYONE who says the n-word was held accountable?

Let it go man. Just accept the fact that there are some things that black folks can say that whites can't. Come up with a word that whites can call each other and blacks can't.....and it will be even, but this is not going to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 08:34 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Like...I can walk around and call myself fat, but it wouldn't be cool if somebody else said it. Not sure if that make sense.
Fat is an adjective. It is objective. It is not banned from general usage.

If anyone pointed to a 5 ft, 250 lb woman and said: Is she fat? 100% of people would say yes.

So, no, it doesn't make sense.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:38 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MYpnINrZM_M

Old 07-26-2018, 08:46 AM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The only way they would face any consequences was if a black person used a racially charged word against a white person, like ****** or devil, etc. Now, that would probably be on the same level as a white person using the n word against a black person!
I saw that in Hawaii. The local term for whites is "haole," which literally means "stranger"--but it's used exclusively for whites no matter how long their family has been island residents. Often it's "dumb haole."

That's the one case in which I've seen a racial slur against whites that had the same emotional effect as slurs used by whites against minorities on the mainland.

And, interestingly, whites in Hawaii frequently use "haole" among themselves in the same way blacks use the n-word among themselves.

There are two cultures within black Americana. One is an urban culture, the other is an older southern rural-derived culture, which I call the "MLK culture." if you saw the movie Hidden Figures, you saw blacks of the MLK culture.

One of the distinguishing features between the urban culture and the MLK culture is the use of the n-word. In the MLK culture, that word is the worst of pejoratives and is never used except as a perjorative...and infrequently at that.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:46 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,395,954 times
Just let them continue using whatever ghetto vocabulary they want. They will continue to wonder why they have a hard time getting good paying jobs.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:02 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Can anyone explain why a white person who isn't Eminem would want to use this word?

Old 07-26-2018, 09:15 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Why do white people feel a need to say it?
Don't they realize their own history when it comes to using that word?
So can Asian people use the word? Since they never had black slaves?

I am also someone who thinks that the N-word should disappear but that will never happen as long as blacks use the word so freely and openly.

And honestly, considering that "negro" is the Spanish and Portuguese word for "black". "Nigro" is the word for "black" in Latin. And that Niger and Nigeria are countries in Africa. And at one job, the blacks and Hispanics referred to the black workers as "nigrettos"... well blacks should stop trying so hard to keep whites from saying the N-word. Just let it fade away on its own and stop overreacting with firings and beatdowns anytime a white person uses the word.

Blacks not wanting whites to say the N-word, despite the fact that they are saying it all of the time and using it in all of their rap music, is just some sort of stupid control thing on their part.

IMO no white person uses the N-word and is thinking that the black people should be slaves. However MOST non-black people are thinking that it's really idiotic and unreasonable for blacks to try to own the word and to only let black people say it. That's just crazy thinking.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:23 AM

10,484 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Tried to rep you but it wouldn't let me. Ugly words are ugly no matter who is using them.
^This. And it's not just derogatory words either, but profanity as well. When I'm around a group of people that are constantly swearing, the whole atmosphere changes in a negative way for me. Nothing good comes out of it. Maybe if we all talked more civil with eachother, perhaps this country can start getting back in the right direction. But when every day talk, entertainment, music, etc is cluttered with derogatory and explicit content, it's not difficult to see why our society is being swallowed up by drugs, violence, hate, suffering and all the rest of that negative spirituality.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:26 AM

10,484 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Why do white people feel a need to say it?
Don't they realize their own history when it comes to using that word?
Did you not read the original post? He said nothing about white people wanting to use the word, but black people being held accountable for saying the word, which is indeed, a very ugly word, and nobody with any sense of self respect should be using it, in any context.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:13 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Can anyone explain why a white person who isn't Eminem would want to use this word?
Eminem has gone his whole career without using the word, so apparently even he doesn't want to use the word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies