Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 10:17 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times

Advertisements

I've questioned a few employees over the years when I hear them saying that word.

1) In an open environment, I don't want my people using profanity/racial slurs/making inappropriate comments, period. They are a reflection of the company, and as such, I hold them to a high standard. What the do off the clock is none of my business.

2) I understand it's their word, and they have taken the sting out of it, for them. I asked them to consider when using the word to think about how many of their ancestors heard that as their final words, just before being strung up. That soberd them up quickly, and was a teachable moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 10:22 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,027 times
You're never going to convince certain people who are black that they shouldn't say that word.

However, maybe it should be outlawed in public if children are going to be around? Because what if white children here this word. They might think it's okay to be said.

And I know some people might sit there and say "well it's their parents job to make sure they understand". Well I think there is an age where some children will understand what should or shouldn't be said.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:23 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Can anyone explain why a white person who isn't Eminem would want to use this word?
Because the "C word" only applies half the time.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:23 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Let it go OP. I am white...I assume you are too but correct me if I am wrong.

The simple answer is: if your Mom or Dad raised you right, you wouldn't need to even ask this question. But I understand not everyone is so lucky to be raised in this manner.

Ta-Nehisi Coates, a black writer/social critic, gave a very good explanation as to why white people should refrain from using the word even while blacks still use it.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/...-coates-n-word

Coates points out that it is normal in our culture for some people or groups to use certain words that others can’t. For example, his dad was known by his family back home as Billy — but it would be awkward for Coates to try to use that nickname for his father.

“That’s because the relationship between myself and my dad is not the same as the relationship between my dad and his mother and his sisters who he grew up with,” Coates said. “We understand that.”

The same concept applies to different groups and their words. “My wife, with her girl friend, will use the word ‘b-I-a-t-c-h,’” Coates said. “I do not join in. You know what I’m saying? I don’t do that. I don’t do that. And perhaps more importantly, I don’t have a desire to do it.”

Normal?.........Maybe.

Stupid?

Absolutely.

If you really want equality, then stop making rules for what's acceptable or not acceptable based on the color of people's skin.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:27 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
You're never going to convince certain people who are black that they shouldn't say that word.

However, maybe it should be outlawed in public if children are going to be around? Because what if white children here this word. They might think it's okay to be said.

And I know some people might sit there and say "well it's their parents job to make sure they understand". Well I think there is an age where some children will understand what should or shouldn't be said.
Really? Do you really think that it's possible to keep white children from ever hearing the N-word? And to teach white children that they can never ever say that word, that only black people can speak the N-word??

Black people are the only ones giving power to the N-word. If they didn't try to control its usage so much, and if they stopped saying it themselves, the N-word would eventually fade away from OUR language.

And it's not the word itself, but the sentiment behind it that counts.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:28 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
In light of so many white people getting into trouble for uttering the n-word, what if black people who use the n-word faced consequences too?

I hear that damn word EVERY weekday while on the Los Angeles Metro. It's never white people saying it in public, it's black people. Mostly men, but some women. Frequently. LOUDLY. Often with enthusiasm, anger, or extra "stank."

It's said in front of children, the elderly, and all races.

Non-black people lose their jobs and reputations over the n-word but it is tossed around so much I wonder what would happen if there weren't a double standard.

What if EVERYONE who says the n-word was held accountable?

what EXACTLY is the '''n-word'''

Old 07-26-2018, 10:31 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Eminem has gone his whole career without using the word, so apparently even he doesn't want to use the word.
Not quite entire career.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...rap-79348.html

Old 07-26-2018, 10:32 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
what EXACTLY is the '''n-word'''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICsRvUG2j8Q

Old 07-26-2018, 10:46 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post

I ask as a Latin (Italian and Spanish) person

to me

negro, literally meaning "black", (feminine negra)

it is derived from the Latin word niger, meaning black...female form of the word is, negress

"Negroid" has traditionally been used within physical anthropology to denote one of the three purported races of humankind, alongside Caucasoid and Mongoloid.

In Swedish and Norwegian, neger used to be considered a neutral equivalent to "negro".

now of course you have American slang versions like nigg-er, nigg-a, and nigg-az (like used in an abbreviation for Nigg-az Wit Attitudes (N.W.A)

so
what seems to be the problem with the color black..... I have even drank wine named Da Gato Negro... (the Black Cat)

Old 07-26-2018, 10:55 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Eminem has gone his whole career without using the word, so apparently even he doesn't want to use the word.
Point granted. I thought about that after I wrote my post. I still don't get why white people care if black people use it amongst themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Or some white people, it would seem.
Quote:
Not a bad point. That's why I would suggest white folks never, ever use that word in any case, esp. around their kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies